Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 02:10 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,551,559 times

Advertisements

The only linkage this has to Brexit or the future of the EU is the involvement of Nigel Farage. Please bear with me. I am going to post it here anyway.
Prince Harry's popularity has 'fallen off a cliff' because of Meghan Markle, Nigel Farage says

Prince Harry's popularity has "fallen off a cliff" since the start of his relationship with Meghan Markle, Nigel Farage has said, after describing the Queen Mother as an "overweight, chain-smoking gin drinker".

Speaking at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Sydney, the Brexit Party leader said the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's declaration that they would only have two children was "irrelevant", but praised Prince Harry's "boisterous" early years.

Mr Farage, who disagrees with Prince Charles on climate change, said he hoped the Queen lived long enough to stop him becoming king.
That is three low blows in three sentences by Nigel. He is on a real tear against the Royals here lately. What is up with that?

Old 08-12-2019, 03:27 PM

According to the latest ComRes poll, Boris Johnson has the support of more than half of the UK public to shut down parliament if he needs to in order to get Brexit (with or without a deal) done.
Boris Johnson has public's support to shut down Parliament to get Brexit over line, exclusive poll suggests

Boris Johnson has the support of more than half of the public to deliver Brexit by any means, including suspending Parliament, according to a poll.

The ComRes survey for The Telegraph found that 54 per cent of British adults think Parliament should be prorogued to prevent MPs stopping a no-deal Brexit.

The poll suggested the Prime Minister is more in tune with the public’s views on Brexit than MPs, following his promise to deliver Brexit by October 31 “do or die”.
So surely Boris and the Tories will be pleased and encouraged about this result.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 PM

Today another ComRes poll, this time reporting that the UK public is resoundingly opposed to the Queen intervening in politics, and that especially goes for Brexit. The numbers were 62% opposed, 19% in favor, and 19% had no opinion.

Quote:
Queen should STAY OUT of Brexit - shock poll results says UK against Royal intervention

In an opinion survey by pollster ComRes, 62 percent of participants said they believed the Monarch, 93, should not have a say in British politics - namely Brexit. Up to 19 percent of the 2,011 polled said they thought the head of the royal family should have some involvement and another 19 percent neither agreed nor disagreed. The question asked was: “Do you agree or disagree with the following statement - The Queen should remain above politics and refuse to get involved in Brexit.”
That is very interesting. I would have thought that might have been a little bit closer. A 43 percent gap is pretty decisive. And you know all of the politicians will take notice of this.

So, is it down to a hail-Mary attempt at a no-confidence vote against Boris Johnson, and then a Jeremy Corbyn led government, supported by a coalition including the Lib Dems, the Greens, the SNP, and a number of other smaller parties? It looks like it just might be.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:55 PM

Speaker of Parliament is insisting that he will do everything within his power to stop Parliament from being prorogued in advance of Brexit.

Quote:
John Bercow vows to fight any attempt to close parliament

The Prime Minister has insisted the UK will leave the EU on October 31 “come what may”.
But during an on-stage interview, Mr Bercow made clear he will stand in the way of any attempt to close parliament. He said:
“The one thing I feel strongly about is that the House of Commons must have its way. And if there is an attempt to circumvent, to bypass or - God forbid - to close down parliament, that is anathema to me. I will fight with every breath in my body to stop that happening. We cannot have a situation in which parliament is shut down. We are a democratic society and parliament will be heard. Nobody is going to get away, as far as I’m concerned, with stopping that happening. Nobody should be afraid to say what he or she thinks.”
Asked by one audience member if parliament can stop a no-deal Brexit, Mr Bercow simply replied: “Yes.”
So the UK has an activist Speaker out holding pep rallies against Brexit. I thought the person in this role was supposed to be impartial and objective. Apparently not. Because this guy clearly is not.

To be fair, this does not appear to be a central element of Boris Johnson's plans, or at least he and his team have not suggested that it was. But he has not ruled it out - nor should he. I suspect he will make every effort to avoid this path. It certainly would make him look weaker if this was what he had to do to get Brexit over the line.

In any case, it is up to the opponents of Brexit to stop it at this point. It is not at all clear that they can.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:05 PM

27,375 posts, read 13,619,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Speaker of Parliament is insisting that he will do everything within his power to stop Parliament from being prorogued in advance of Brexit.

So the UK has an activist Speaker out holding pep rallies against Brexit. I thought the person in this role was supposed to be impartial and objective. Apparently not. Because this guy clearly is not.

To be fair, this does not appear to be a central element of Boris Johnson's plans, or at least he and his team have not suggested that it was. But he has not ruled it out - nor should he. I suspect he will make every effort to avoid this path. It certainly would make him look weaker if this was what he had to do to get Brexit over the line.

In any case, it is up to the opponents of Brexit to stop it at this point. It is not at all clear that they can.
Boris doesn't have to stop Parliament, indeed if he's smart he could go to the Queen before Parliament even gets to vote on any no confidence motion and announce an election on the 1st November, and nobody can do a thing.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,800,018 times
No UK-US trade deals if there is a physical border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49348062

Old 08-14-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Boris doesn't have to stop Parliament, indeed if he's smart he could go to the Queen before Parliament even gets to vote on any no confidence motion and announce an election on the 1st November, and nobody can do a thing.
The thing is, Boris Johnson and the Tories have not been talking about proroguing Parliament. Right now all this talk is just a conspiracy theory being promoted by Remainers and their loyalists in the media. This does not appear to be anything that the Tories are planning on doing.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
No UK-US trade deals if there is a physical border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49348062
Trying to conflate a trade deal between the UK and US - Post Brexit - as somehow being complicit in undermining the Good Friday agreement, is just nutty. If these people want to try to use that as a reason to oppose Brexit, then OK I guess. Nobody on the UK side wants to do that, so it really is not an issue.

But after Brexit is done, whatever trade agreements are negotiated will not have any bearing on the status of the Good Friday agreement, one way or another. Good try, though.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,800,018 times
The NI problem was the major reason why parliament rejected the negotiated Brexit deal repeatedly, if I remember correctly.
Can there be a hard Brexit with open borders between NI and Ireland?

Old 08-14-2019, 12:17 PM

Former Conservative Chancellor and leading Remainer Philip Hammond said today that he would not support voting down Boris Johnson and his government, and he would also not support a "National unity government".

From the UK Guardian:

Quote:
Philip Hammond: MPs can stop Boris Johnson delivering no-deal Brexit

However, he suggested he would not support moves to vote down the government and install a unity cabinet that would negotiate an extension with the EU – a move which has been privately proposed by some other rebel Conservative and opposition MPs.

“I don’t agree with that at all, I don’t think that’s the answer. We have a Conservative government under Boris Johnson,” he said. “I want to see government be a success not just in delivering Brexit but across the whole spectrum of domestic and foreign policy. But I do want it to listen to what parliament is saying.”
If not even Philip Hammond is going to be willing to turn his coat around and end his political career supporting the 'resistance,' then what Tory will?

For those who did not know, any Tory who supported a no confidence motion against a Tory Prime Minister will be immediately dismissed from the party straight away. When the next general election is held - expected by many in early November - then he would not be on the ballot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies