Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 09:44 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And you are ignoring the fact that companies are actively looking to create products that manage illness rather than cure it.

And anyone on a med for a chronic problem will invariably have side effects or another health problem.

Which means add drug no. 2, no. 3, etc.

PS. I do believe that MOST doctors want to help patients .... but the manner in which they are told to do so is the problem.
Of course pharma looks for management meds! But the goal is cure. My wife would have long dead without management meds.

Side effects are very common, and one has to be on the look out and weigh risks vs benefits. Constantly and always 'first do no harm'!

Doctor are not 'told to do so'. We are trained and learn many ways to manage most all our patients. Every patient is unique, and their treatment is never set in stone. Experience and continued learning and training comes into play here.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Repeat Customers, just as in Business.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course pharma looks for management meds! But the goal is cure. My wife would have long dead without management meds.

Side effects are very common, and one has to be on the look out and weigh risks vs benefits. Constantly and always 'first do no harm'!

Doctor are not 'told to do so'. We are trained and learn many ways to manage most all our patients. Every patient is unique, and their treatment is never set in stone. Experience and continued learning and training comes into play here.
Did you even read the article I posted? It's a financial review of a biotech firms look at profitability in new areas of business.

The problem is revenue significantly DROPS when the condition is CURED.

And that is problematic to companies that exist to generate revenue.

Not sure how you are missing that point. To be profitable? Cure isn't the goal. They don't want fewer patients, they want MORE patients.

Chronic, long-term medications for chronic, long-term patients. Long-term customers means a business is profitable.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:21 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Did you even read the article I posted? It's a financial review of a biotech firms look at profitability in new areas of business.

The problem is revenue significantly DROPS when the condition is CURED.

And that is problematic to companies that exist to generate revenue.

Not sure how you are missing that point. To be profitable? Cure isn't the goal. They don't want fewer patients, they want MORE patients.

Chronic, long-term medications for chronic, long-term patients. Long-term customers means a business is profitable.
Bidness is bidness. But there are plenty of research institutions and for profit companies/entities out there looking for cures.

I said before - maintenance is a whole lot better than death.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Bidness is bidness. But there are plenty of research institutions and for profit companies/entities out there looking for cures.

I said before - maintenance is a whole lot better than death.
And what are their track records of these companies searching for cures?

How many bonafide, absolute, no question it's a cure -- as in treatment and DONE -- have they found?

Old 10-10-2019, 10:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Who do you think should take that role, since the issue is private enterprise?
Your beloved State doesn't want anyone cured either, but they can act/sound more benevolent where the profit motive is concerned because they retain the monopoly on force and violence and can enslave you whenever they please. Private enterprise has to be trickier and craftier in creating dependence, where government can just stick a gun in your face.

How's the "war on..." whatever going? You've been promised by how many politicians and for how long that the fix/cure/solution to something is right around the corner...if you'll just vote for them? Red and Blue alike, they are big on the promise during elections, but small on results because if they actually fixed/cured/solved anything, what the heck would they promise in 2/4/6 years? Government "manages symptoms" same as the medical industry, just wit more apathy, more power and way less good intention.

You propose the worst sort of Faustian Bargain with your begging the question quote above. Be very, very careful what you wish for.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Sorry about your sister and I understand your bitterness but sometimes medications work and sometimes they do not. Many of us watched this in people we cared about. It's a real world. Trial and error and sometimes huge wins...and for millions of people. It's no "pharma". It's the way we learn. Harsh but that's the way it is.
Well, there are many ways to treat and manage health issues but the MD's are so brainwashed by pharma and come out of the medical schools, which are also funded by pharma, talk about brainwashing the students.

I've been going to ONLY integrative MD's for some 20 yrs and omg what an eye opening trip it's been.....

And on my sister, YES, i believe she was overdrugged and NOT pushed by her doctors on nutrition and alternatives to work with like LDN which many with MS take. Every time we talked, the doctors were talking about trying new $25K drugs...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-10-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I can tell you as a doc that curing someone, making someone well again is a great personal goal and reward. Same with researchers. Health and disease maintenance can also be rewarding, but all of this is better than medical relapses, deterioration or death. Especially for the younger of us.

Sure there is big money in all of it. What is more precious than good health or life itself?
Drugs don't cure, they manage and they are huge money makes. Alternatives do the same and we have to do our own work or find practioners to work with and cost far far less $$$$$. Talk about the sick insurance world. People stressing to pay for this sick insurance.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
And what are their track records of these companies searching for cures?

How many bonafide, absolute, no question it's a cure -- as in treatment and DONE -- have they found?
I was rather shocked when I found info from Mayo, City of Hope and others on the work they are doing with Grape Seed Extract for breast, colon, prostate and skin cancers. Where it's all gone, I don't know. But I've been taking this great Prevention for going on 25 yrs....and I'm doing pretty darn good at this late date and age of 81.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Drugs don't cure, they manage and they are huge money makes.
/agree

The pharmaceutical industry is the "pre" estate tax. It is meant to start draining the savings of old people while they are alive, under the promise of immortality for as long as you keep shoveling whatever pill down the gullet. My father-in-law lost the ability to speak, move, care for himself, etc for the last two years he was alive, but my mother-in-law got sold hard on the dozen or so prescriptions he had to keep taking all that time, to some ridiculous amount of money per month. Freaking insane, imho.

I made up my mind a long time ago that my nieces and nephews, and even the local animal rescue can make way better use of my savings than me forking it over to Pfizer because I got conned into thinking their pill, and not natural selection and just plain old luck, is why I am still breathing. No freaking way.

If 8-10 hours of sleep per night, black coffee and weightlifting can't cure it, I was meant to die from it. Period, the end. The medical industry and their government lackeys in the halls of power are not getting my savings. No f***ing way. I'd rather light the money on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.