Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:00 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There is no law against starting your own scholarship fund for white kids only.
There are scholarships for Polish-Americans.
Scholarships for Polish-Americans

Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You can have clubs and organizations focused on the black race.

Is there a beauty competition for black woman? Is there one for white women?

Are there scholarships specifically geared towards blacks? Are there scholarships specifically geared towards whites?

I guess the better question is: Are you disconnected from what is happening in the Uas?
1 - There are clubs/organizations based on European heritage.
2 - There are beauty competitions based on ethnic nationality for white people (also the black pageant started due to black girls not being able to be in the mainstream pageants)
3 - There are scholarships specifically geared toward people of European descent and a majority of UNCF scholarships are "institution based" meaning that if you go to an HBCU, no matter what color/ethnicity you are, you can get a UNCF scholarship
4 - You are disconnected from what really goes on the USA and don't know much about black people in America IMO or the topics you brought forth above.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
hmmmm..............this seems to be more or less a scholarship fund? It appears that various states will host the pageant, however I must say, I've never seen it televised. The only black beauty pageant that I've seen televised is BET's "Rip The Runway" during Spring Bling (BET's Spring break program).
All of the beauty pageants are disguised as scholarship competitions including Miss America and Miss USA.

So, now that I show you there is a Miss Black USA, you're moving the goalposts to having it televised to count?

Old 10-21-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are scholarships for Polish-Americans.
Scholarships for Polish-Americans
There are scholarships for Polish, German, Irish, Italian, French, Hungarian, etc, etc, Americans who are white.

I scoured scholarship books cover to cover when I went back to college and whites have more ethnically based scholarships than black people.

Also as stated above UNCF gives scholarships to students at "member institutions." White students who go to HBCUs qualify for UNCF scholarships. In 2008 Morehouse College (school MLK Jr. attended) had a white valedictorian for the first time and he got UNCF scholarships. Recently they had their first Latino valedictorian and he also got UNCF scholarships since Morehouse is a UNCF institution.

Contrary to what these white nationalist minded people want to say, black people in America do not have a history of exclusion of whites based on race and that is not a part of any popular, benevolent or social activism groups today. Hell even BLM activists are mostly white where I live.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:07 PM

114 posts, read 77,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
If it were started for like a specific ethnic group such as German, Italian, Irish....that would not be an issue. Blacks, OTOH, well the majority of us do not know what our actual origin is so we are all lumped together.
Reread this quote, you did perpetuate it.

So by your logic these people wouldn't be able to hold a white only event because they are not part of a specific ethnicity.

[quote=pandorafan5687;45903594]I don't have an issue w/ any cultural celebrations given that they are not done under the perception that another group is inferior. With that being said, the majority of blacks don't know their actual origin so we are all grouped as one even though we are as varied as anyone else.[quote]

There are white people that don't know their exact heritage and are composites of many origins and are grouped into the white category, just like black people. So based upon your first quote, why wouldn't these people be able to hold a white only event.

Also why would you think a solely white gathering in this day and age would be to belittle another culture? Once again you've shown the double standard.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
1 - There are clubs/organizations based on European heritage.
2 - There are beauty competitions based on ethnic nationality for white people (also the black pageant started due to black girls not being able to be in the mainstream pageants)
3 - There are scholarships specifically geared toward people of European descent and a majority of UNCF scholarships are "institution based" meaning that if you go to an HBCU, no matter what color/ethnicity you are, you can get a UNCF scholarship
4 - You are disconnected from what really goes on the USA and don't know much about black people in America IMO or the topics you brought forth above.
These black student organizations aren't "African Heritage Clubs", they are based on RACE.

I have no issue at all with race based clubs and organizations, I'm just pointing that our culture doesn't look at them equally and will condemn them based upon PC standards.

You can avoid the truth all you want, but the truth is the truth.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
All of the beauty pageants are disguised as scholarship competitions including Miss America and Miss USA.

So, now that I show you there is a Miss Black USA, you're moving the goalposts to having it televised to count?
Miss Black USA started due to black girls not being able to participate in Miss USA.

Do you think that all of the sudden people should give up scholarship opportunities via the Miss Black USA pageant. Maybe some white girls should join the pageant. You do not have to black. From their Eligibility website:

Quote:
Eligibility

Dream it and you can achieve it! You may apply to become a contestant in the Miss Black USA Pageant, by winning a state pageant in the state where you live, work or attend school. If there is not a state pageant held there, you may apply directly to the Miss Black USA Pageant as a Delegate-At-Large. If you meet the minimum eligibility requirements below, you may begin the At-Large-Delegate application process here. It’s as simple as 1, 2, and 3.
STEP ONE: To apply, click here.
STEP TWO: Email a Recent Snapshot (This will not be returned and does not need to be a professional photo)
STEP THREE: If you meet the eligibility criteria listed below, please pay the $25.00 non-refundable application fee. Note: Applications will not be accepted without payment of application fee.

• You must be at least 19 years of age and not older than 27 years of age by the date of the national competition for which you compete.
  • You must be a high school graduate or in your senior year of high school.
  • You must be single; not married.
  • You must be a natural born female.
  • You must be a United States citizen and live in the United States.
  • You must be in excellent physical and mental health.
  • You may not have competed more than twice in the national Miss Black USA pageant and may not represent the same state more than once.
Employees, officers, directors and agents of Miss Black USA Pageant and/or of any of their respective licensees, assigns, parents, affiliated and subsidiary companies and the immediate family (spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, son, regardless of where they live) or members of their same households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers, directors and agents are not eligible to be contestants in the MISS BLACK USA PAGEANT or participate in this application process.
Once we receive your At-Large-Delegate Application, snapshot and fee, your application will be reviewed by the Miss Black USA National Recruitment Team and you will be contacted within two weeks by a member of the National Recruitment Team. All decisions will be made on rolling basis by December 1, 2016.
Thanks again for your interest!
Nowhere does it say you have to black to be Miss Black USA...

As stated, large black organizations do not have a history of exclusion.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
These black student organizations aren't "African Heritage Clubs", they are based on RACE.

I have no issue at all with race based clubs and organizations, I'm just pointing that our culture doesn't look at them equally and will condemn them based upon PC standards.

You can avoid the truth all you want, but the truth is the truth.

On college campuses there is usually a "Black Student Union" which is based on celebrating black culture and history and activities of "black Americans." They also have an "African Student Union" which is usually made up of people celebrating various African countries' culture and history and activities.

Also, white people can join Black Student Unions or African Student Unions.

Again, black people in America do not have a history of exclusion in America.

There are many ethnically and culturally European clubs. In America "black" primarily means a "black American" which is a specific ethnicity and culture. There are many ____-American societies for whites to join and they can join the black ones too.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
As a Brown person myself.....

I feel BET, UNCF, Black History Month, HBCUs, BLM are racist.

Cultures should be celebrated, not colors. And no tv channel should have a skin color mentioned in it either - that is racist.

But there is a culture among black people.

Here's my non-pc answer to the OP. I don't think anyone really cares, they're just venting. Please understand we white people have had 40+ years of sensitivity training, reminders to be inclusive, laws to be inclusive, memo's about sensitivity and being inclusive, more training, more memo's...and moving into the current cultural climate....attempts to guilt white people, having the phrase 'white privilege' thrown at us, being called supremacists, racists, haters, and on and on. No matter what we do, that's what we get in the workplace and from the media.

Quite frankly, I'm sick to death of it and every white person over a certain age that I know personally, feels the same way. Why? Because we got it the first hundred times. Those who didn't, aren't ever going to get it, so repeating it a million more times isn't going to help that group of white people.

And now we come to a new trend where black folks are doing things we've been told over and over again is wrong to do, we cannot do, and we'll be shamed, if not fired and shunned, IF we do, with the progressives saying, 'black people have a right to do this', and white folks are just throwing up their hands in disgust.

Cliff notes version: If you had 40+ years of being chastised on a regular basis for doing X to group Y, even though you didn't know anyone who was actually doing X to any group, and suddenly group Y is doing those same things with people defending them, I think you may want to vent about it, too.

Don't take it personally. We're blowing off steam that has more to do with white progressives than it does black people.

Last edited by MPowering1; 10-21-2016 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:

No, that is not what I was doing, I'm simply saying that I have not seen this show televised. Nothing more nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies