Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:15 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It shows you are too young and too far removed from the pain and sacrifice people went through during the bus boycott. If you don't hit them in the pocket they won't listen to a thing you have to say.
Every community is different. Trying to use a national remedy is like prescribing the same treatment for ten people with chronic cough. Police brutality is a manifestation of more than one social problem. Its no coincidence that many people who were instrumental in the civil rights struggle of the 60's were; sociologist, psychologist, economist, lawyers and politicians.
Today's young protesters get high marks for just being articulate. Ferguson was ripe for an economic boycott because the brutality was in response to a city that was generating revenues from its brutality.
pknopp is retired if I remember this correctly

argue with him is pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 09:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
It shows you are too young and too far removed from the pain and sacrifice people went through during the bus boycott. If you don't hit them in the pocket they won't listen to a thing you have to say.
Odd, it seems the argument is that the protests are hurting the NFL (hence, hurting the advertisers) (today is my 55th birthday)

Quote:
Every community is different. Trying to use a national remedy is like prescribing the same treatment for ten people with chronic cough. Police brutality is a manifestation of more than one social problem. Its no coincidence that many people who were instrumental in the civil rights struggle of the 60's were; sociologist, psychologist, economist, lawyers and politicians.
Today's young protesters get high marks for just being articulate. Ferguson was ripe for an economic boycott because the brutality was in response to a city that was generating revenues from its brutality.
99.9% of the country never notices a boycott of a local market. This is not a problem with one city.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
pknopp is retired if I remember this correctly
Not yet. Getting close.

Quote:
argue with him is pointless.
I only step in where people are not making valid points.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not yet. Getting close.

I only step in where people are not making valid points.
sometimes I have to agree you do

I think you also step in when that thread has nothing to do with the "valid" point you are trying to make.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:12 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Odd, it seems the argument is that the protests are hurting the NFL (hence, hurting the advertisers) (today is my 55th birthday)

99.9% of the country never notices a boycott of a local market. This is not a problem with one city.
Forgive me you must still have a youthful outlook on life, we are about the same age. I don't think it is necessary to focus the entire nation on the problem. That may only lead city governments to think it is not just them but "everybody does it." They will use their inaction as an excuse to say they are waiting for a national solution. I don't' think anytime soon there will sweeping changes in the way policing is done nation wide.

Dick Gregory once said Black activist need to turn the cup upside down and make a biscuit cutter out it. When the Black Panthers had a problem with police brutality only one of the things in their ten point program dealt with police brutality.

I like to remind people that their were two groups of abolitionist and the wrong group won the civil war. Those that thought slavery was a moral wrong never really got much footing in the struggle. So we can chose to make Americans believe what city are doing is a moral wrong or we can show them that it is not in their economic interest to allow their employees card blanch when dealing with disenfranchised citizens.

The whole point of getting down on one knee to me is a way of saying "I care more about this than you." I think that is arrogant.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Forgive me you must still have a youthful outlook on life, we are about the same age.
I do try.

Quote:
I don't think it is necessary to focus the entire nation on the problem. That may only lead city governments to think it is not just them but "everybody does it." They will use their inaction as an excuse to say they are waiting for a national solution. I don't' think anytime soon there will sweeping changes in the way policing is done nation wide.

Dick Gregory once said Black activist need to turn the cup upside down and make a biscuit cutter out it. When the Black Panthers had a problem with police brutality only one of the things in their ten point program dealt with police brutality.

I like to remind people that their were two groups of abolitionist and the wrong group won the civil war. Those that thought slavery was a moral wrong never really got much footing in the struggle. So we can chose to make Americans believe what city are doing is a moral wrong or we can show them that it is not in their economic interest to allow their employees card blanch when dealing with disenfranchised citizens.

The whole point of getting down on one knee to me is a way of saying "I care more about this than you." I think that is arrogant.
Those who thought it morally wrong were the one's willing to break the laws before there was an official war.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I didn't know Monica Lewinsky sings.
she doesn't sing she plays the flute.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:11 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
when is Obama and Clinton gonna start knealing during the anthem?

Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I wonder what she would say about this white cop.

White Cop Saves Black Man From Racially-Motivated Murder

Here's another story about a bad ass white cop.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...her-godfather/
If she is like most of us liberals she would treat these cops like the heros they are. We are protesting bad cops and the failure of many departments to deal with them aggressively. What was the purpose in posting these examples? What argument are you countering? What do you think we are protesting? Cops in general? Posting examples like this as a counterargument shows that many folks need to do a better job of listening to the other side and not simply demonizing them.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
I do try.

Those who thought it morally wrong were the one's willing to break the laws before there was an official war.
Often at great risk to their lives and livelihoods, especially after the passage of the Fugitive Slave Act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies