Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 04:06 AM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Um, may I quote you on that? Are you not familiar with the history of our country? Are you not aware that minimum property-holding requirements for voting existed until approximately the 1830s - long after the Constitution was ratified by the requisite number of states?

Landless citizens had no vote regarding ratification of the Constitution, and of course no input into writing it.

Not worried about 186 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Very few college graduates have degrees that enable them to get a job in a certain field. I know I didn't. But you get a job and work your way up. But you don't start in your 60s like you. You've made a whole series of blunders that eventually had you end up where you are.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:31 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Tacit consent is still consent. The landless had the opportunity to revolt, but failed or refused, so too bad for them.
Because they didn't murder the rich people they consented? Yeah, ok.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:30 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
My degree was NEVER intended or expected to get me a job. It was intended to get me into law school. In that sense my degree succeeded but by the time I graduated law school had become out of my financial reach. My comp sci minor was not 'sufficient' to interest prospective CS employers, and the then-emerging PC rendered my mainframe background increasingly obsolete.
You forgot the part about not getting "that one job", and spending the remainder of your career in minimum wage jobs.

A degree, ANY degree, will get you a job.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:32 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Homeowners have this odd sense of entitlement which leads them to demand a say in all of the real property owned by others. It's called real estate law and zoning. It's why homeowners enjoy preferential tax rates on their homes ('homestead exemptions') while Other People's Property is taxed up the wazoo in many states.
Are you saying renters are prohibited from voting?

Old 10-28-2016, 06:45 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Quote:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr......................

Living on SSI massively sucks. I earn my state minimum wage and for years I have rented rooms in crappy overpriced houses. I have had a number of housemates who lived on SSI and they all had apparently miserable lives. None could afford to own a car and none of them could afford to have a life (and therefore they moped around the house all day), which made the house environment depressing for everybody.
Friendly advice would be to spend less time on the internet forums (over 27,000 posts on this board) and more time trying to improve your life. Or maybe a little second job to increase your income.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Friendly advice would be to spend less time on the internet forums (over 27,000 posts on this board) and more time trying to improve your life. Or maybe a little second job to increase your income.

That's harsh- you do not know the circumstances to tell anyone what they should or not do- My g-son 19 was in an accident - he is in rehab now -and not sure if he can get back to that place- of normality- work driving etc -- please do not judge what you do not know --

Old 10-28-2016, 06:57 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
That's harsh- you do not know the circumstances to tell anyone what they should or not do- My g-son 19 was in an accident - he is in rehab now -and not sure if he can get back to that place- of normality- work driving etc -- please do not judge what you do not know --
Granted I do not know all of the circumstances but I do know he or she seems fairly intelligent, is able to work and is capable of spending a lot of time posting on the internet.

Of course there are people who because of circumstances beyond their control end up unable to provide for themselves. I believe the government should help these people to a certain extent. I also believe where possible family and friends should also help. I suspect you are doing your part to help your grandson.

But that isn't really what this thread is about.

Quote:
you do not know the circumstances to tell anyone what they should or not do
I didn't tell anyone what to do. I gave some advice which I expect to be taken with less than a grain of salt.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:51 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
"I didn't tell anyone what to do. I gave some advice which I expect to be taken with less than a grain of salt.[/quote]

Like the thousands of other words of very good advice he's been given. If he has real insurmountable physical over mental problems that prohibit him from living a decent life and n family support through no fault of his own, that would be one thing.

He hasn't presented us with t his case and he spends so much time posting over 27,000 times on here that it's obvious he could be doing more productive things. Ironic that he chastises me, a retired person, for "globetrotting" when he says I should be doing something productive. LOL. I volunteer probably more than he works...and pay way more taxes in Fed taxes than his income is.

He finds an excuse for every suggestion. It's clear he doesn't have any desire at all to take the steps to improve his life. I didn't realize there were people in the world like him, but apparently there is.

The even sadder part is that he appears to be intelligent and capable of getting a decent job. Thus, the frustration amongst the forum trying to help the dude.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post

agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies