Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
If I were on welfare I could get a medical card, WIC, food stamps, a rent free apartment, paid utilites, clothing vouchers, and a cash check each month.

Why would you honestly envy the life of a person on welfare? You are being facetous, right? Like the attitude of a Right Winger, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista;2941281 If, meanwhile, you are aware of fraud being perpetrated against the US Government and do not report it, you are leaving yourself open to charges of aiding and abetting in a criminal conspiracy. [U
I do not believe that President Bush will be as compassionate in your case as he was in that of Scooter Libby. [/u]The SSA Fraud Hotline may be reached at 1-800-269-0271 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm EST.
I love your sense of humor

Old 02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The status of any such applicant will be reviewed in detail by qualified government personnel under the procedures outlined above.

AAAAAAAA.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! LMAO!

God, you liberals really are delusional when it comes to the actual workings of these grand "systems" you all support so stridently. The SSI system for "disabilities" is an epic failure.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:40 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
I already have a 9 year old daughter. And yes we decided I would stay at home and be a mom. We have tried for many years to have a second child and finally God decided to give us one. I do not feel I have a miserable life. I will struggle for a few months while I pay thousand in medical bills. I will want to pay my bill off quickly, so it will be hard for a while. We have saved a few thousand and will use that to start paying the medical bills, but we were saving for a good down payment on a home. I guess that will have to wait for another year. I am whinning because it just doesn't seam right that my friend gets all of this free stuff. She made a choice to have her baby just as I did. I have to pay my bills, why shouldn't she. We are the same age. She had a good job, but quit so she could get welfare. She knew she would do better by not working. My husband will still be able to provide for our family. He will not quit his job. I agree that I CHOOSE to stay home and raise my children. My friend chooses the same, but she doesn't have the bills that go along with that choice. I will gladly give up buying a home for a year to have my baby, get my medical bills payed off, get the baby off formula and rebuild our savings acount. But yes it would be alot eaiser if I had that medical card and WIC like my friend. I am in a slight tizzy because I feel you should not have to rely on welfare to raise your babies. We will raise our child without welfare. Why shouldn't my friend be expected to do the same?

ParkTwian, you understand exactly what I am saying.

I never said how much money my husband makes, I don't know why you think it is $40,000? I do stay at home but you have no idea what I do all day. I can assure you it is not eating bon-bons. We can afford to pay for our insurance. But it does make me upset when I think of my friend getting these some things for free, or on the taxpayers dime. We will be able to feed and cloth our new baby all on our own, without WIC or a medical card. It will just be hard for me to go to the store with my friend and pay about $250.00 for a months worth of formula, then see her get the same formula for FREE. I do not have a problem taking responsibility for my decisions, which we are doing. I do not think this new baby is a bad decision, it is a blessing. When I said I want to be on welfare I was just thinking about all the free stuff my friend gets. I will have to pay for the same stuff.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
If you know your friend is committing fraud, why haven't you called to report her? The percentage of welfare recipients who fraudently recieve benefits is far less than 1%, and if you know someone who is, you should stop complaining about it and just report her.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
OK even if she stops baby sitting to get extra cash she still gets the free rent, medical card , WIC, clothing vouches ...on and on for free as her legal welfare.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:26 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
Aid programs vary by state. People who make blanket statements about welfare are uninformed.

My grandma is poor and for a while was on foodstamps. It was such a pain in the butt to get them, that she finally gave up. She didn't drive a new cadillac, she drove a 20 year old car.

Sure, some people on welfare figure out ways to cheat. So do alot of rich people. I think it's unfair to target poor people on welfare as cheaters. If anything "welfare" in this country is too low in general.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
AAAAAAAA.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! LMAO!
God, you liberals really are delusional when it comes to the actual workings of these grand "systems" you all support so stridently. The SSI system for "disabilities" is an epic failure.
Some liberals do, however, know the difference between SSI and SSA.

Complaints over the handling of claims for Social Security Disability benefits have primarily been with respect to how long and demanding the process has been, resulting in many qualified persons experiencing significant delays in receiving benefits and in some qualified persons being denied benefits at all or being denied the full portion of benefits that they were justly entitled to. The agency has taken steps in recent years to speed up the process.

The instant case is with respect to claims for disability based on a "faked" mental health disorder. The link below is to an outline of the procedures that one must go through in order to establish such a claim successfully. Please feel free to read through it. Let me caution you in advance that these procedures are extensive and rigorous enough to require more than 7,000 words (about 33 printed pages) to describe.

Bottom Line: No one will be walking in with his or her little note from Dr. Kickback and walking out with a disability check.

Disability Evaluation under Social Security: Adult Mental Disorders

Last edited by saganista; 02-25-2008 at 03:40 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 03:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
To qualify for SSI, one must be 65 years of age, or either blind or disabled. There are also income and resource limits that cannot be exceeded. The level of disinformation out there on the ease of qualifying for assistance and the life style that assistance will allow you to live is simply staggering...
And yet, there are people who can work the system, and do it quite well.

Case in point? I worked on a project for a public housing authority in a city near mine. One of my assignments was to interview residents to help establish that public housing played an important role in helping people become functioning members of society.

And, I agree that about half the people were legitimating using public housing for its intended purpose--people who had a bad run of luck. But then I interviewed resident after resident who had lived in public house for years. One woman had been in public housing for fifty years. She was person of reasonable intelligence who had sat there for fifty years watching television. I ran into lots of people like that, people who had no jobs, no nothing. And this is in a market with unemployment rates of 2.5-3.0%.

So you'll get no argument out of me that welfare and public housing are legitimate functions of government. However, in an economy that is hitting on all cylinders (And, even today, outside of the Rust Belt, there are plenty of states where unemployment is under 4%), there is simply no excuse for normal, able-bodied people to not have gainful employment--and to suck at the government's teats while doing it.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Some of you people need to get a MOD CUT grip. I'm pretty right-wing, but let's be real here, living on welfare is not how people descirbe it here. I don't know where these MOD CUT stories of LCD TVs and Cadillac escalades are coming from (Stormfront?), but it's not like that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the America system of welfare either, but please stop spewing your ignorance. I bet the vast majority of you saw a Black person with money and screamed WELFARE!!!!111!!!! like some backwoods racist. Keep your opinions at the Klan meetings please....

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-25-2008 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies