Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 04:34 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay. Help me out here. One situation I know of:

Momma w/ three kids under 6.

Her school tuition is paid in full by some gov't program. (anyone know what program? maybe some job training act?)

She gets vouchers to pay for all three kids' daycare

Her kids are on the WIC program for her county

She gets food stamps

She lives in Section 8 housing, right next door to people who pay full rent

She and her kids use Medicaid so healthcare is essentially "free"

She gets food thru/ some kind of county program - maybe surplus goods, not sure - but I think anyone who gets food stamps also can participate in this "food giveaway" in her county (anyone know about this?)

She has several baby daddies . . . and one is living w/ her, but he is not supposed to be living w/ her . . . (according to what she has said)

Her live-in BF pays for her car

She got free car seats from a program thru/ the hospital where her kids were born

She wears cute clothing and says she makes more money by going to school and having her kids on welfare than she would if she worked

How can this be? How did she get all this help - food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, Section 8, free tuition, free books, etc. She even says some program gave her a free computer b/c she is a student. ?????
I don't know how it happens but I've seen plenty of the exact same thing, I have a nephew who gets the same stuff and brags all the time, he doesn't work, has an apartment, has food and sits around all day, I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 05:02 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't know how it happens but I've seen plenty of the exact same thing, I have a nephew who gets the same stuff and brags all the time, he doesn't work, has an apartment, has food and sits around all day, I don't get it.
Heck, except for me, my whole town does this! Most of them wear expensive furs and jewelry, but I don't mind that so much. What really ticks me off is when they use their food stamps to buy nothing but cigarettes and alcohol, and then drive off in a new Ford Explorer to go pick up their unemployment checks! Somebody really ought to do something about all this...

Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
The grass is always greener.... over the septic tank.
The grass is not always greener......just sometimes better maintained.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:20 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Heck, except for me, my whole town does this! Most of them wear expensive furs and jewelry, but I don't mind that so much. What really ticks me off is when they use their food stamps to buy nothing but cigarettes and alcohol, and then drive off in a new Ford Explorer to go pick up their unemployment checks! Somebody really ought to do something about all this...
Uh, okay.

If your post is accurate I would guess that the fur and jewelry are fakes and the Explorer is on the verge of being repo'd. Since many states are on an EBT type of card system for benefits and stamps, it seems impossible to use food stamps for cigs and booze.

I dunno, I've seen $30,000 Harleys parked in front of $5,000 trailer homes. So maybe you are right.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 AM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
This is a total fabrication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Yes they are. People receiving "welfare" today are required to work.
What many fail to take into account is the fact that the states have different criteria. There are some states that have caps and some states that do not. Some states require welfare recipients to work and others do not. Some areas of states have Section 8 housing and many do not. All welfare recipients that I know do not live in projects. They are scattered around the county in single family homes.
Where I live the welfare recipients do not have to work and there are no caps. Generations have been on welfare and most have never worked a day in their lives. I even know men in their 20's and 30's that are able bodied and have never worked yet still get welfare. It's all how you work the system.
For example I employed a woman that had three small children and a husband. The husband worked also yet the kids still qualified for Medicaid. Daddy was paid under the table. When they wanted more money the dad would move out and wham bam thank you ma'am the amount of entitlements went up. Dad moved back in and it was never reported to authorities so the welfare continued. I know what the mother made. She could support the entire family but she WAY under reported her tips.
As an employer I had to report earnings as well as have an interview twice a month. I did speak to the case worker and she told me that she wouldn't do anything about it because if she did funds would be taken from the agency.
I guess one hand washes the other.

I feel the same as many of you. If some one needs help they should get it. I have no issue with that. What many here see is the rampant abuse and that is what they go on.

I had another employee that had severe medical issues including a heart attack this past summer. She is a 38 yo single mother. Her 17 yo daughter had a baby and that placed more hardship on her even though there is medicare for the baby. Her medical issues caused her to miss alot of work. She was a great employee and I worked around her illness. However, social services still to this day have not stepped in. I have known this woman for 3 years and in that time I am the only one that has helped her. I have paid her rent, her electricity and her grocery bill on several occasions. I will continue to do so as long as I am able.

Did employee #1 deserve the welfare she got? HELL no! Did Employee #2 deserve to get welfare? HELL yes!

There is bitterness out here for the welfare system. It is well deserved if others are seeing what I have experienced.
Perhaps that is what the OP sees and wants a piece there of.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
short term is ok. however yes you could but it will turn you and your kids into something you don't wana be. spent the last 12 years helpin people get off a very nasty merry go round. from a distance it looks like fun doesn't it. its for people that consistently make bad decisions.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
umm, like K-luv mentioned, EBT food stamps CAN'T be used for booze and cigs, so you're either highly exaggerating or are ignorant of the new system.

I'm not sure where this idea that no one on welfare works, but it's just plain wrong and idiotic. welfare, for the vast majority of people, doesn't cover everything 100%

Section 8 only covers a PORTION of the rent. there is a limit it will cover, based on the number of rooms. some Sec. 8 programs base rent on 30% of the recipient's income (meaning that person has to have an income in order to qualify)

food stamps is often not enough. most people on food stamps still have to pay for some food out of pocket (unless they somehow got WIC, but I think getting WIC decreases the amount you get in food stamps). oh, and like I said above, food stamps only covers certain items. it doesn't cover booze, cigs, non food items (like soap, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc), pet food, it doesn't even cover cooked foods (like those roast chickens some stores sell).

Medicaid doesn't cover the full costs of prescriptions and stuff like glasses

there are gov't programs that offer tuition vouchers, but there are stipulations. these tend to be only for community college/public schools, a certain GPA must be kept up, student must remained enrolled (meaning if you drop out after a certain point, you, not the gov't is gonna have to pay), and, in some cases, the student may have to take vocational testing prior to enrollment (to make sure the student is capable of the work).

I never knew anyone on welfare who never worked, unless they had a disability that prevented it. so many seem to think that everyone on welfare is just sitting at home 24/7, watching TV, eating the junk food, and doing nothing. and even if this was the case, is this truly a life you envy???

for all the people wanting to live on welfare, fine, might as well start now and see what it would be like. go rent a cheap, ill maintained apartment in the worst neighborhood in your city. enroll your kids in the same craptacular schools the kids on welfare go to. get rid of your family doctor and go to the same low cost, substandard clinic everyone else goes to. best of all, get a piece of paper and write "I'm on welfare" and tape it to your back and enjoy the criticisms and japes from those I'm-better-than-thou people who will look down on you the second they lay your eyes on you (and some of the bold ones will right out and criticize you). anyone who thinks this life is all fun and games and glamour and actually wants this is seriously deluding themselves (no one sane wants to purposely live in substandard conditions, even if those conditions came free, unless they had no choice at all)

Old 04-21-2008, 03:33 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Just for the record, this post was entirely sarcastic...a parody of the seemingly endless stream of totally fictional "personal testimony" posts that show up repeatedly in threads like this one. I would have thought that except for me, my whole town does this would have been a tip-off, but on reflection, that might not have been enough to make the post sufficiently more unrealistic than the ones it mocks to make the distinction clear.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:49 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
I looked at Annapolis and all of the million dollar yachts are owned by welfare recipients. I know this is true. My wife's cousin's oldest child has been on welfare for 35 years and lives in a mansion with servants and owns 3 Rolls Royces she bought with food stamps.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:21 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
If I were on welfare I could get a medical card, WIC, food stamps, a rent free apartment, paid utilites, clothing vouchers, and a cash check each month.

Instead I am married to a man who is college educated and has a good job. So we have to pay an insurance deductable of $750.00 each Jan then out ins coverage is 80/20. And don't forget the hundreds of dollars that comes out of his check each month for the ins. I am about to have a baby via c-section. We just paid out $750.00 dectuable and now it is time to pay the $750.00 again for this year. Our 20% of the hospital stay/c-section will be thousands more.

If we had a medical card......all FREE.

I also had bre$st surgery a few years ago and will have to use formula the whole time. Have you seen the price of that stuff??? Of course if I were on welfare ... I could get WIC....all FREE.

Buy the time we pay all of our medical bills and for the formula the people on walfare will be living better than me. I will have to struggle to pay my rent, utilites, and food. If I were on welfare it would all be FREE.

My best friend just had a baby and said on the birth cert. father unknown. She gets all of this stuff for free. Plus she babysits a couple of kids and gets close to $1,000 a month "under the table money." She drives a better car, lives in a nicer townhouse, has nicer things, and can afford to go out alot more that we can.

It just doesn't make sence to me.
Sounds fine, but it requires a person to live "minute to minute" with NO vision or plan for anything other than what you're about to do. I've lived in areas where most were on some kind of government assistance. I've worked the 'hoods as a recruiter (for the militiary). Something happens in these cultures (no matter the skin color) that creates this terminal short-sighted outlook on EVERYTHING. I wish I could explain it, but you have to see it. One example, I suppose, is the aftermath of Katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies