Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,915,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Does that mean we don't grant requests which are "reasonable" and make clear that there are lines beyond that that must not be crossed?
Well if the government and courts abuse the supposedly "reasonable", "sensible" legislation as it was presented, ie, the civil rights act, 1965 Immigration act etc, then no they can not be trusted with so-called reasonable legislation, especially if a liberal proposed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 03:04 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,869,997 times
Quote:
One of my co-counsel in a matter grew up in Chicago. He was a Catholic. All of his friends were Jewish. He went to Hebrew school and attended just about every class. Of course he could not be Bar Mitvahed. But he cited that fondly when we were discussing the Jewish holidays and our mutual client's unavailability to sign something on a holiday.

But two questions come from that:
  1. Wasn't he a minority of one in a mostly Jewish school district? and
  2. Did that end badly?
In my district we are mostly Jewish. We have a few Italian Catholics. I spoke to one of the fathers at a soccer game. He said the only kind of district he would send his children to was a Jewish one. And I spoke to a Pakistani Muslim doctor from Chappaqua at an interfaith function. He said that "of course he hated Israel and the Jews" but the the only kind of district he would send his children to was a Jewish one. I asked him why and he said "the level of discipline" was his reason.

What about those situations?In my district, there weren't many blacks. But the son of two black dentists, one Jamaican and one from the Dominican Republic was one of those. They lived about 25 yards from my house. In no way did their son experience any of that. To my knowledge, no one in his class, including my older son, saw color.

And another neighbor a few houses away was Irish Catholic. They put their son in Jewish preschool with my son, probably the only Gentile there. His experience was very positive.
FWIW, my great grandmother grew up in a Jewish, Irish, and German neighborhood in the 1910s-1920s (many of the Germans were Jewish) and she always felt that the Jews were "the best white people" lol. She thought Irish people were "gangsters." She had a lot of interesting views of non-Jewish Germans as well. She was black and grew up as an extreme minority in our city.

I actually do think that intense discrimination is very rare. I am just afraid of it for my own kids. I also frequently state around here that I do believe that today's kids are much nicer than the kids I grew up around and even much nicer than myself and I honestly think that all the "bullying" stuff in the media and online is overblown considering my belief that kids today are just nicer in general than they used to be. Still mean, but much nicer. For instance, I have a 14 year old and he has only been in 1 "fight" his entire life at school. For both his dad and I, this is amazing considering we grew up in "the ghetto" and fighting was something that happened every day. You could always find someone fighting on the playground before or after school. My kid has only ever seen a fight once and only been in one once. By his age I'd been in more than I remember. So things today are just nicer IMO.

I think my mindset about it is based in my own experiences as a kid and just being wary of people. I honestly never dealt with any racial bullying. I grew up around a lot of white kids. We were all in the same or similar social classes depending on the neighborhood I lived in we were poor to middle class. And we lived around each other and never had any issues. Most of the fighting was about stuff on a personal level and nothing racial that I remember.

I think that what my friend's daughter experiences was very extraordinary (especially so due to the age of the kids), which is why I was pretty shocked to hear about it and she herself was appalled as was her husband. They couldn't believe it happened and especially couldn't believe that the teacher wasn't doing anything about it and the administrator was willing to just tell kids to stop and not do anything proactively to address it in the school itself in regards to the culture of the school.

But I am just hesitant in putting my kids in any situation where they are an extreme minority. It is not healthy for them IMO and especially not so as black children when our culture and history are regularly misrepresented. I also am always wary of white children being an extreme minority as well and especially so in a poor black school and I try to look out for them when I'm around. Most of the time when I have seen it (I used to volunteer at elementary schools helping kids with reading and writing skills) the kids were nice to the white children, but I always wonder if someone was bullying them. I mostly volunteered at predominantly poor, predominantly black schools.

My son has a kid at his school now, a white teenager, who my son says told him he has PTSD because 5 black kids jumped on him and beat him up when he went to an all black school in a poor school district. He is/was a foster child as well and had black foster parents and they had him moved to a "whiter" school after that occurred and he got some therapy for what happened and healed from his injuries. The friend told my son that this happened to him in 5th grade and that he had to stay in the hospital for a few days and had a broken arm and concussion as a result of the beating. These things, though rare, do happen and I just don't feel it is a good idea to put kids in a situation like that.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:19 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,701,215 times
Quote:
One of my co-counsel in a matter grew up in Chicago. He was a Catholic. All of his friends were Jewish. He went to Hebrew school and attended just about every class. Of course he could not be Bar Mitvahed. But he cited that fondly when we were discussing the Jewish holidays and our mutual client's unavailability to sign something on a holiday.

But two questions come from that:
  1. Wasn't he a minority of one in a mostly Jewish school district? and
  2. Did that end badly?
In my district we are mostly Jewish. We have a few Italian Catholics. I spoke to one of the fathers at a soccer game. He said the only kind of district he would send his children to was a Jewish one. And I spoke to a Pakistani Muslim doctor from Chappaqua at an interfaith function. He said that "of course he hated Israel and the Jews" but the the only kind of district he would send his children to was a Jewish one. I asked him why and he said "the level of discipline" was his reason.

What about those situations?In my district, there weren't many blacks. But the son of two black dentists, one Jamaican and one from the Dominican Republic was one of those. They lived about 25 yards from my house. In no way did their son experience any of that. To my knowledge, no one in his class, including my older son, saw color.

And another neighbor a few houses away was Irish Catholic. They put their son in Jewish preschool with my son, probably the only Gentile there. His experience was very positive.

As you know, I live in an area that has a high Jewish population and a pretty good population of Asians. Schools are highly rated. Not a high population of them, but you can find black and Hispanic families, too.

One day I asked the black parents of two friends of my kids if they or their kids ever experienced any racism. One set of parents said no. The other parents said their son saw racism just once, and it wasn't directed toward him. They explained it was during a football game, when they were playing a high school attended by Lovey Smith's son, who used choice words for the white players (his mother is white) and for the Jewish players. I asked my son about it later and he confirmed what they'd said, since he was on the field at the same time.

Based only on what I've seen in my community, people tend to trip over themselves to make minorities feel welcome and included, so they don't feel left out.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:21 PM

35,399 posts, read 17,319,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FWIW, my great grandmother grew up in a Jewish, Irish, and German neighborhood in the 1910s-1920s (many of the Germans were Jewish) and she always felt that the Jews were "the best white people" lol. She thought Irish people were "gangsters." She had a lot of interesting views of non-Jewish Germans as well. She was black and grew up as an extreme minority in our city.
I cut most of your post for space reasons but are you essentially saying (and I don't mind if you do) that the experiences of blacks with white varies between situations where the white majority is Jewish, as opposed to other groups?

Old 10-29-2016, 01:42 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,958,721 times
Default Linh Dinh - Who's Racist?

Who

Old 10-29-2016, 03:04 PM

73,125 posts, read 62,950,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
As you know, I live in an area that has a high Jewish population and a pretty good population of Asians. Schools are highly rated. Not a high population of them, but you can find black and Hispanic families, too.

One day I asked the black parents of two friends of my kids if they or their kids ever experienced any racism. One set of parents said no. The other parents said their son saw racism just once, and it wasn't directed toward him. They explained it was during a football game, when they were playing a high school attended by Lovey Smith's son, who used choice words for the white players (his mother is white) and for the Jewish players. I asked my son about it later and he confirmed what they'd said, since he was on the field at the same time.

Based only on what I've seen in my community, people tend to trip over themselves to make minorities feel welcome and included, so they don't feel left out.
Depends on where you live. I went to middle school in an area that had a large redneck culture(Confederate flags flying in some places). I talked to some Black students who had gone to school in areas with sizable Asian/Jewish population and middle/upper class Whites. It was alot better than what I had gone through.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Depends on where you live. I went to middle school in an area that had a large redneck culture(Confederate flags flying in some places). I talked to some Black students who had gone to school in areas with sizable Asian/Jewish population and middle/upper class Whites. It was alot better than what I had gone through.
Our area is more middle/upper class and is pretty mixed between Asians (Indian, Japanese and Chinese for the most part) and white people. Some black and Hispanic families, too, although they're a minority.

I'm not saying there aren't any areas that don't have the demographic you're referring to in northern IL, I'm just unaware of them. But, yes, the redneck culture is probably a clue that they might not be warm and welcoming to anyone who doesn't look like them.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 PM

73,125 posts, read 62,950,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Our area is more middle/upper class and is pretty mixed between Asians (Indian, Japanese and Chinese for the most part) and white people. Some black and Hispanic families, too, although they're a minority.

I'm not saying there aren't any areas that don't have the demographic you're referring to in northern IL, I'm just unaware of them. But, yes, the redneck culture is probably a clue that they might not be warm and welcoming to anyone who doesn't look like them.
Northern IL would be a different world from the outskirts of metro Atlanta. Middle school particularly, the dominant subcultures I saw were the skateboarders and redneck types. I got bullied and assaulted by both. Redneck culture is a big clue. Oddly enough, ghetto hood rats culture developed from redneck culture, hence a few similarities.

What is ironic is this. The Black population in the county I lived in has risen from 3 percent to 15 percent. Truth is, slot of people have over there because of the low cost of living and it's quiet. Alot of space. I remember there was some racial tension. The Confederate flag was a big sore point.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Northern IL would be a different world from the outskirts of metro Atlanta. Middle school particularly, the dominant subcultures I saw were the skateboarders and redneck types. I got bullied and assaulted by both. Redneck culture is a big clue. Oddly enough, ghetto hood rats culture developed from redneck culture, hence a few similarities.

What is ironic is this. The Black population in the county I lived in has risen from 3 percent to 15 percent. Truth is, slot of people have over there because of the low cost of living and it's quiet. Alot of space. I remember there was some racial tension. The Confederate flag was a big sore point.
Man, I am really sorry you went through that. It's inexcusable and nobody should have to suffer injustice. I couldn't live in that environment simply because I detest that mindset. I refer to aggressive / violent rednecks as ghetto hood rats or white trash hood rats, so I don't know if you're talking about white or black ghetto hood rats, but I'll assume you mean black? So you're saying black hood rats were influenced by redneck hood rats? Why would they emulate people who went out of their way to discriminate against them?

Maybe the population increased because they saw some level of safety in numbers. Plus people move into areas they can afford to live, and if their options were limited, they may have had little choice.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,915,286 times
Quote:
I'd bet even in your 'bad' white area and school other white kids had it way worse than you with being bullied and assaulted. I know about white punks and thugs and they almost always mess with other white kids. Do I need to post the actual DOJ statistics that show that whites rarely attack other groups but are frequently attacked by other groups? A lot of false moral equivalency and one sided ethnocentrism and the usual scapegoating in the recent posts in this thread.

From your favorite source to bash but can't discredit New DOJ Statistics on Race and Violent Crime | American Renaissance

Quote:
Using figures for the 2013 racial mix of the population–62.2 percent white, 17.1 percent Hispanic, 13.2 percent black–we can calculate the average likelihood of a person of each race attacking the other. A black is 27 times more likely to attack a white and 8 times more likely to attack a Hispanic than the other way around. A Hispanic is eight times more likely to attack a white than vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies