Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2016, 06:25 AM

73,139 posts, read 62,835,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Something out of the box I thought of today.

When the civil rights movement started with Truman's post-WW II actions, Rosa Parks riding the bus, the Brown decision, the March on Washington and the Civil Rights, Voting Rights and Housing Rights legislation were passed, the premise was that the African-Americans (f/k/a blacks, f/k/a Negroes) wanted integration. The communal statement was "we want in."

At great expense and effort the bigots were beaten back and we legally integrated. Almost immediately the minorities thought better of it. They wanted "power" rather than integration. The hood rats are the ultimate expression of this sentiment.

So, which way? Do Ethnic Minorities Want In, or Out? They should get the benefits and burdens of either choice, not the pick of the best of both.In my opinion Integration is the Way to Go.
Everybody wants their share of power. That is what this country is about. Hood rats are not the greatest expression of that. They have ALWAYS been around. This is the thing. When integration took place, it allowed the Blacks who wanted better for themselves to flee from hood rats. What you see in Detroit, Birmingham, and in other cities with dangerous ghettos, that is what is left after many talented Blacks leave. If that neighborhood where Temple is located was filled primarily of middle/upper class Blacks(and there are plenty of them in this country), that neighborhood wouldn't be the ghetto. Don't believe me? Take a trip down Cascade Road in Atlanta. Alot of mansions and mcmansions owned by Blacks on that street. I can't afford those houses.

If Blacks and other minorities didn't want integration, those of middle class status wouldn't be moving into predominantly White areas. Hood rats will do what hood rats will do. Not much you can do for them, and alot of Blacks have figured this out. The question is this. Why do hood rats follow behind middle class Blacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,856,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Something out of the box I thought of today.

When the civil rights movement started with Truman's post-WW II actions, Rosa Parks riding the bus, the Brown decision, the March on Washington and the Civil Rights, Voting Rights and Housing Rights legislation were passed, the premise was that the African-Americans (f/k/a blacks, f/k/a Negroes) wanted integration. The communal statement was "we want in."

At great expense and effort the bigots were beaten back and we legally integrated. Almost immediately the minorities thought better of it. They wanted "power" rather than integration. The hood rats are the ultimate expression of this sentiment.

So, which way? Do Ethnic Minorities Want In, or Out? They should get the benefits and burdens of either choice, not the pick of the best of both.In my opinion Integration is the Way to Go.
Wanted to point out that the Civil Rights Movement started amongst black Americans after Reconstruction ended in the 19th century. It did not start after WW2. It came to a climax between the 1940s and the end of the 1960s.

Also, black people never officially wanted "integration" they wanted an end to race based discrimination and they wanted the freedom to live where they wanted, get a job that they qualified for, have their kids go to schools in their neighborhood and basically be able to fully participate in our society.

It was not about "integration."

Many stalwart black intellectuals of the past did not make integration a goal at all. The March on Washington's (in the 1960s there was another planned in the 1940s) was about labor issues, not integration. Voting rights were about disenfranchisement, not integration. Housing rights, was about being able to live wherever one could afford regardless of their skin color, it was not about integration, the Brown v. BOE case was specifically about the fact that the black family in question had a child who was forced to go to a "negro" school outside of the neighborhood of which they lived and that "negro" schools received sub par funding and resources versus "white" schools. It was also not about integration at its core.

Integration has always been a hot topic amongst black people from the early 1900s (when segregation started to be legally enforced in many areas across the country, not just the south either). A large amount of black people (and today, this includes myself) feel that living around white people is not an ultimate goal and that being around white people doesn't mean that you have achieved any level of success. Many of my own professors in college felt that the focus on "integration" by many in the movement took away from the ultimate goals of the movement, which were opportunity and access, not association with or living near white people or "power."

Last edited by residinghere2007; 10-28-2016 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Man you just don't get it. Of course there are some white idiots and thugs (who mostly mess with other white people). You don't understand motive, rate, proportion and representation. In all my life and living in the north and the south, I've never seen anything like the narrative you tell. Blacks were basically treated as celebrities more often than not every majority white school and neighborhood I've been. You either have an extreme observation bias or just like to dishonestly play victim or both.
I have a good friend who, because she is very well off financially moved to a majority white suburb near where I currently live. She had a 2nd grader and wanted her child to benefit from the great school district in that suburb. The friend is black and sent her 7 year old black daughter to a school that was 95% white and Asian.

Her black 7 year old child (and this was in the past year) was repeatedly called a "little n*gg**" in class. The mother and father were appalled. The teacher did not take it seriously. The girl started to have issues academically even though she had never had any problems at school and she had previously went to a very diverse school for preschool to 1st grade.

The child was pinched and taunted everyday for over a month with racial comments from 2nd graders and the issues were ignored by administrators until she threatened to go to the media. After that incident, she moved back to the city in a nice city neighborhood and sent her daughter to an all girls school which is predominantly black and they haven't had any issues. There are white girls at that school, which is over 95% black and none of the white girls have problems either. All of them (the white girls, there are 4 of them) are the foster children of black parents (a few of which I know and they were very concerned about the girls being an extreme minority as well and made sure to bring this up before enrolling the girls in this school).

So there are many instances of black children being taunted, bullied, and harrassed everyday. I remember reading on this very forum about some white teenagers in Idaho anally raping a black teenager with a broom stick and repeatedly bullying and harrassing him both verbally and physically and nothing was done until the rape occurred.

IMO people should never send their kids to a school where they will be an extreme minority no matter what color or ethnicity that they are. I am black and would never send my kids to a school where the white population of the school was 90% or more as even though it is rare that something would occur, I just would not want to take that chance and I think it is very smart for white parents to have the same view of majority minority school districts with their own kids.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:19 AM

13,681 posts, read 20,825,980 times
Quote:
I think it is very smart for white parents to have the same view of majority minority school districts with their own kids.
Guess my parents dropped the ball.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Guess my parents dropped the ball.
Not sure if they did or didn't. I just know that as a parent myself, I wouldn't want to chance my kid being racially bullied due to them being one of only a handful of black students in a school.

And FWIW most of the friends I have who have kids go to majority white schools don't have any problems. I also don't think that most white students at majority black schools (or non-white) have many problems. I went to elementary school from K-2 in majority black schools and we had a few white students at those schools and there weren't any issues for those kids that I could tell. I still keep in touch with 2 of them and both said they never had any issues and are grateful to have gone to majority black schools because they don't buy into the racial stereotypes flaunted by media and online outlets. One of them was poor and lived in a low income, majority black neighborhood. The other went to school with me when I lived with my grandmother, who was middle class and we lived in a predominantly black middle class neighborhood. We had some white people in the area but they mostly sent their kids to Catholic schools. This friend's parents didn't have the money to send her to Catholic school so she went to the neighborhood school with was about 90% black. She never had any issues.

I also know a lot of black adults who went to majority white schools who experienced few racial issues, and when they did, they were not violent or physically abusive.

But I just am not comfortable with it. As parents we worry about our kids. Both my kids go to heavily diverse schools today, the oldest though, his school is less diverse than the youngest. However the entire student body is only about 68% white and 15% of the students are black the rest are Hispanic, Asian, or "mixed race" and most of the "mixed" race group are a black/white mix so if you counted them as "black" the school would be about 20% black. He has told me that he has to deal with stupid comments from both white and black classmates primarily. Mostly that he is "not black" because he doesn't like certain hip hop artists and he doesn't play football or basketball because he is over 6 feet tall. But most of them, according to him, are just joking about it. They joke a lot about ethnicity too as the whites in our area are pretty connected to their European ethnicity. Also the school is not filled with upper class kids, like what my friend's 7 year old had to endure. That was a very "wealthy" district. Most of my son's classmates are working and middle class families and I do think that class is important in this sort of consideration. So a middle class white family sending their child to a predominantly poor and black school, would just not be a good situation IMO and not something I would ever do.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,423,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have a good friend who, because she is very well off financially moved to a majority white suburb near where I currently live. She had a 2nd grader and wanted her child to benefit from the great school district in that suburb. The friend is black and sent her 7 year old black daughter to a school that was 95% white and Asian.

Her black 7 year old child (and this was in the past year) was repeatedly called a "little n*gg**" in class. The mother and father were appalled. The teacher did not take it seriously. The girl started to have issues academically even though she had never had any problems at school and she had previously went to a very diverse school for preschool to 1st grade.

The child was pinched and taunted everyday for over a month with racial comments from 2nd graders and the issues were ignored by administrators until she threatened to go to the media. After that incident, she moved back to the city in a nice city neighborhood and sent her daughter to an all girls school which is predominantly black and they haven't had any issues. There are white girls at that school, which is over 95% black and none of the white girls have problems either. All of them (the white girls, there are 4 of them) are the foster children of black parents (a few of which I know and they were very concerned about the girls being an extreme minority as well and made sure to bring this up before enrolling the girls in this school).

So there are many instances of black children being taunted, bullied, and harrassed everyday. I remember reading on this very forum about some white teenagers in Idaho anally raping a black teenager with a broom stick and repeatedly bullying and harrassing him both verbally and physically and nothing was done until the rape occurred.

IMO people should never send their kids to a school where they will be an extreme minority no matter what color or ethnicity that they are. I am black and would never send my kids to a school where the white population of the school was 90% or more as even though it is rare that something would occur, I just would not want to take that chance and I think it is very smart for white parents to have the same view of majority minority school districts with their own kids.
This ni**er story out in the burbs sounds like the rough and tough world I'm too naive to imagine. Just so shocking and appalling.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This ni**er story out in the burbs sounds like the rough and tough world I'm too naive to imagine. Just so shocking and appalling.
Honestly, I was surprised, but as stated, it is a very wealthy district as well. I know a couple of black families who experienced similar things in the district with their children.

I also know some white families in that district who admitted it was a problem and don't send their kids to the schools there. They also were concerned about the "elitism" of the students, teachers, and administrators in specific schools in that district that they felt were based on "classism" and stereotyping students depending on address/zip codes they resided in within the community.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:01 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,423,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I was surprised, but as stated, it is a very wealthy district as well. I know a couple of black families who experienced similar things in the district with their children.

I also know some white families in that district who admitted it was a problem and don't send their kids to the schools there. They also were concerned about the "elitism" of the students, teachers, and administrators in specific schools in that district that they felt were based on "classism" and stereotyping students depending on address/zip codes they resided in within the community.
Crazy white folks! Can't trust 'em!

I'm never coming out of my ivory tower after hearing this worldly story of yours.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:41 AM

73,139 posts, read 62,835,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Crazy white folks! Can't trust 'em!

I'm never coming out of my ivory tower after hearing this worldly story of yours.
Okay, enough with the sarcasm. Just say what you really mean.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Okay, enough with the sarcasm. Just say what you really mean.
LOL, just ignore him. I think he is kind of butt hurt over another thread about Libertarianism into which I wrote about my idea that Libertarians are naive about human nature. Many of the Libertarians around here seem to get really bothered when someone formulates a rational response to their ideology and especially when said response doesn't fall into line with their "collective" Libertarian though process (for No Recess).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies