Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:29 AM

10,245 posts, read 6,335,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The way I see it, well,

A.

The Commission speculated that those of German and Italian descent weren't interned en masse because there were too many of them to make it practical. Contextually, 'impractical' meant that they didn't believe that the rural areas would tolerate mass internment of millions of people. Internment of our 3.3 million Muslims or 10+ million illegals would be impractical by virtue of similar scale.

On the other hand, the Japanese may have been safer interned than the German/Italian-Americans who endured what the Commission referred to as 'patriotic harassment.' Many of them fled to Canada as refugees. Also, and there's a sense in which it may be worse than internment, foreign language news outlets were required to publish in English and have their materials approved by the post office. That effectively isolated the non-English speaking population in place.

In any case, mass internments are unlikely. Smaller scale actions are less farfetched.

B.

Jesse Jackson also said, Tech diversity is next civil rights step. Tech industry is too Asian.

What can Jackson and Bannon do? Force tech companies to lay off Asian CEOs? I really doubt it.

--------------------------------------------------------

Throughout the years, people have predicted the country will come to ruin if a particular candidate was elected. And in every case the country has moved on with little interruption.

We've always had OLD.WHITE.RICH.MALE as presidents, what makes everybody think this time is particularly scary? Give him a chance and it is not that bad.
This is an except from a biography of Joe Dimaggio on his father:

"After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Giuseppe got caught in the xenophobic swell that swept his adopted nation. Giuseppe, who spoke only broken English, hadn’t bothered to become a citizen in his 40 years in the U.S. In the atmosphere of WW II, the elder DiMaggio, as an Italian citizen, was prohibited from going to the wharves where he made his living. Ironically enough, this restriction came barely six months after Joe had become an American hero by getting hits in 56 straight games."

My guess is that Giuiseppe was singled out was because he had a famous son, and the government could check up on him. As you said, it would be impossible to track the millions of ordinary Italians across the country. This is not to say that they weren't discriminated and harassed by the Public. My immigrant Italian Great-Grandparents never became US Citizens, or spoke fluent English. During WW2, My Grandma during WW2 Americanized her surname and stopped speaking Italian (bi-lingual) in public.

There were no illegal immigrants, or visas, in those days. America welcomed all immigrants (Statute of Liberty inscription). If you could get enough money for passage on a ship, you came here. The only people denied entry were those who were sick with a contagious disease.

If you really think about it, how many of we Americans today have an "Anchor Baby" in their family trees. Our immigrant ancestors wanted to have American children, even if they didn't want to become Americans themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 11:39 AM

73,076 posts, read 62,706,187 times
I'm not an immigrant, I'm from here, born and raised. Picking someone who has strong ties with the alt-right scares me. Why? Because the alt-right has some strong white supremacy believes. As a Black American, that is a threat to me. I've heard enough of his incendiary rhetoric to not want him as the President. I take people like that at their word. Anyone who talks reckless and crazy will do crazy things.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You lost the ability to get Democrats appointed to the administration. You didn't really lose anything, so quit ranting about every pick in the administration.
So YOU'RE picking the new appointees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Why don't you view life as an American....instead of always worrying about "your people". If you are a citizen, all of us are your people. Stop this insane division.
No...you're not "my people" just because you're an American. Not even.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:59 PM

7,491 posts, read 6,273,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I am a legal immigrant from India & I voted for Trump. Being 'legal', I had to keep my status by working harder than others at my education & work because thats how the existing system works here. Before your employer applies for your green card, they have to advertise your position for a year & try to find an American citizen to replace you. Only when they cant find one, my petition moves ahead. That means I have to develop more skillsets & work experience than Americans in my profession. If not, I will be easily replaced.

We dont enjoy the privileges & perks that illegal immigrants get here. If your gpa drops or you lose your job, your visa is cancelled & you get deported within 40days. The backlog to get green card for Indians is about 15-20 yrs because there are so many illegals blocking the line. I think it would be great if they get deported. It will clear a lot of backlog. Your country, your rules. If I have a problem with it I should pack my bags & leave the country rather than forming coalitions of ignorants & throwing childish tantrums. Any naturalized citizen is an American so when you say American, you are talking about me whereas an immigrant means who is still on some visa or here illegally. Being a visitor here doesnt give you any rights that citizens enjoy. Work hard & become a citizen like us to claim your rights & benefits.
Exactly

Old 11-20-2016, 01:02 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,957,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
While I don't identify as either liberal or conservative, you are asking him to stop the divisiveness attitude while also perpetuating the same.

I spent a good amount of time with a circle of friends from diverse demographics (ok more like circles that overlap once in a while); the one thing that keeps us from beating the crap out of each other is the understanding that we are different and to accept that division is natural. What's important is reaching pass the divisions for a mutual understanding.
You misunderstand, and have taken my comments out of context. My response was to a poster who wanted to know why this particular thread was allowed to continue. I replied with a comment that threads with conservative views and unwelcome observations are often closed without any noticeable justification, but inflammatory posts with liberal views were tolerated. Happens all the time.

I'll never forget one thread that encouraged posters to think of the most insulting name they could come up with for Donald Trump. When I reported this incredibly ugly thread, hoping it would be shut down, I was told that if I didn't like it, I didn't have to read it.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:30 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Immigrants, affluent or otherwise are embraced by Trump and his administration. Hell, he's MARRIED to one.

Criminal aliens...maybe they should pay attention. We have a president that might actually do the job of the executive branch and enforce our laws. Criminal aliens aren't immigrants any more than a squatter or burglar is a house guest.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,393,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
His troubling staff and cabinet appointments really need to be considered.

His chief advisor, Steve Bannon, recently implied that there are too many Asian CEOs in Silicon
Valley.

https://www.cnet.com/news/trumps-che...s-being-asian/

Trump aide Steve Bannon really hates Asian CEOs | Fusion

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/17/...ys-asian-ceos/

This means that he not only takes issue with poor immigrants, but also rich immigrants-what about rich minorities as a whole?

Are we the next to be blamed for the plight of Whites in the Rust Belt?

I work in a management position in SV and this has me thinking that perhaps we should at least think about ways to keep our families safe.
Stock up on comfort dogs and play-dough.

The Orange Man cometh.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:51 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,393,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...you're not "my people" just because you're an American. Not even.
But sometimes my people be acting like they evil.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:23 PM

73,076 posts, read 62,706,187 times
My description of me:
Young professional, 30, Black American, male, white collar, college educated, slight libertarian slant (voted 3rd party this time around). No oids, no spouse.

What good would a Trump presidency do for me? What would I get from it? I ask because I don't think I would benefit.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
Many White Americans (and quite a few minorities) have for years been storing food and water, accumulating ammunition and weapons, and devising 'bug out' plans for decades. There tons of resources on the web and lively and informative online communities (some right here on City-Data) to help you weather civil unrest, overreaching tyrannical governments and natural as well as man-made disasters.

Let us everyone join the fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies