Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Easier said than done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 01:04 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It isn't jealousy to want sub par employees to be cut or paid what they're worth when you're the one footing the bill. Just where do you think the money comes to pay these government workers? They certainly aren't a profit center creating the income they're paid. For decades government work is where people who no else wants to hire go.
I think I can speak for both as I was private sector for about 19 years before I *chose* to crossover to the other side. I didn't do that because I wanted to slack off or surf the internet. I moved to actually be more a part of the process and decision making and I've been really happy doing that. I honestly feel like I've made a difference in the field that I work in. I don't get paid more money in this job than I did in the private sector, but I really enjoy the work that I do. Also remember that government workers pay taxes too. We also "foot the bill" for all sorts of things, just like you, and most of us don't like to see waste either.

And for you to make the statement that government work is where people who no one else wants to hire go is very, very outdated, if it was ever true. I think a lot of bitter private sector people who've had their benefits eroded by greedy corporations say that to feel better.

But I don't know why I bother, you seem to know it all versus people who actually do the jobs. Because you obviously think we are all bad.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-23-2016 at 04:18 PM..

Old 11-23-2016, 02:58 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We have a moral obligation to PAY them a livable wage, give them the benefits we PROMISED when they signed up and take the best care of them if they are injured.
No.

An employer has no obligation other than to provide the pay that is adequate to the work that is required. Anything other than that is communist tripe and why the government and its workers are so worthless in the first place. It is time they earn their money by marketable value such as the rest of us in the private industry do. The collectivist Utopian handouts need to stop.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:15 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no, I expect they won't, if it goes thru as depicted here. sorry it's from the compost.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...mepage%2Fstory

Good. That guv'mint pot is way too bloated as it is.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:20 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Quote:
I live near an airbase and talk with mechanics (fwiw I am not in the military). They are struggling to do their jobs to keep planes in the air. Planes are OLD and parts are not readily available, fuel for training is not as plentiful as it should be to keep our pilots in tip top shape.
Without direct evidence, this is simply hearsay.

Quote:
Unfortunately perceived weakness does in fact embolden our adversaries and does in fact encourage them to try and take advantage. That is bad for us as a nation, forget about the rest of the world we police.
We're world police? Perhaps you can explain how a nation that reportedly already spends more than the seven next biggest military spenders combined isn't spending enough.

Obama: US spends more on military than next 8 nations combined | PolitiFact

If there's a problem with our military, I don't think it's a lack of funding.

Quote:
We have a moral obligation to those we're asking to put their lives on the line at a moments notice to give them everything they need to do what they're asked to do, not just some duct taped together worn out pieces of crap but top of the line equipment and technology.
Have you seen the spending and the cost overruns on the "top of the line equipment and technology" Congress already authorized?
  • The Navy is building 12 ballistic missile submarines to replace the current force of 14 beginning with the first hull in 2021. The Navy budgeted $1.4 billion for research and development in fiscal year 2016, but the challenge is funding the total of about $103 billion.
  • The Defense Department is in the middle of the largest aircraft procurement ever for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. In recent years, around 30 have been built a year, and that will ramp up to 100 a year around 2017. Plans call for acquiring 2,443 joint strike fighters over about 20 years at a cost of nearly $400 billion.
  • In October, the Air Force awarded a contract for the new bomber program, known as a long-range strike bomber. However, the bid is currently under protest by Boeing. The cost estimate is $21.4 billion for the engineering and manufacturing development phase and then $550 million per aircraft for the first 21 of 100. The 100 planes are expected to be done by the 2020s.
PolitiFact Sheet: Military spending under Obama and Congress | PolitiFact

Quote:
We have a moral obligation to PAY them a livable wage, give them the benefits we PROMISED when they signed up and take the best care of them if they are injured.
I can agree with a raise in military pay - as long as the headcount is reduced going forward and the military is subject to the same policies as the rest of the federal workforce. Across the board.

Quote:
That takes $$$$$$$ that have been wiped out over the years.
Can I see the figures that support that statement? The ones I have seen show a different picture.

The most recent Obama budget proposed a 7.8 percent increase in the base Defense Department budget between 2015 and 2016. The spending bill enacted this fall puts the defense budget on a path to start growing in fiscal year 2016, up about 6 percent from the previous year.

"It’s still not quite as much as the president requested, but it’s much closer," said Todd Harrison, director of defense budget analysis at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Quote:
We as a nation should be rising up and demanding that those who put their lives on the line be properly compensated and taken care of for their efforts...
OK.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:22 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
Truth. They deserve a taste of reality.
The US military is staffed by federal employees.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:01 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
no, I expect they won't, if it goes thru as depicted here. sorry it's from the compost.

Here is another article from WashPo, with a little more perspective on the reality of federal job cuts.

Note, the cuts were to come mainly from hiring freezes, from attrition, and eliminating unfilled positions.

And the article also mentioned that jobs in public safety, military and public health would be exempt from these cuts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ve-key-issues/

Old 11-23-2016, 04:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
No.

An employer has no obligation other than to provide the pay that is adequate to the work that is required. Anything other than that is communist tripe and why the government and its workers are so worthless in the first place. It is time they earn their money by marketable value such as the rest of us in the private industry do. The collectivist Utopian handouts need to stop.
I think you mistook military, (which is what I was speaking of in that statement) for run of the mill government workers?
Or, are you saying we owe those who fight and die for us no obligations other than about $12 +/- per hour?

Old 11-23-2016, 04:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Without direct evidence, this is simply hearsay.

We're world police? Perhaps you can explain how a nation that reportedly already spends more than the seven next biggest military spenders combined isn't spending enough.

Obama: US spends more on military than next 8 nations combined | PolitiFact

If there's a problem with our military, I don't think it's a lack of funding.

Have you seen the spending and the cost overruns on the "top of the line equipment and technology" Congress already authorized?
  • The Navy is building 12 ballistic missile submarines to replace the current force of 14 beginning with the first hull in 2021. The Navy budgeted $1.4 billion for research and development in fiscal year 2016, but the challenge is funding the total of about $103 billion.
  • The Defense Department is in the middle of the largest aircraft procurement ever for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. In recent years, around 30 have been built a year, and that will ramp up to 100 a year around 2017. Plans call for acquiring 2,443 joint strike fighters over about 20 years at a cost of nearly $400 billion.
  • In October, the Air Force awarded a contract for the new bomber program, known as a long-range strike bomber. However, the bid is currently under protest by Boeing. The cost estimate is $21.4 billion for the engineering and manufacturing development phase and then $550 million per aircraft for the first 21 of 100. The 100 planes are expected to be done by the 2020s.

I can agree with a raise in military pay - as long as the headcount is reduced going forward and the military is subject to the same policies as the rest of the federal workforce. Across the board.

Can I see the figures that support that statement? The ones I have seen show a different picture.

The most recent Obama budget proposed a 7.8 percent increase in the base Defense Department budget between 2015 and 2016. The spending bill enacted this fall puts the defense budget on a path to start growing in fiscal year 2016, up about 6 percent from the previous year.

"It’s still not quite as much as the president requested, but it’s much closer," said Todd Harrison, director of defense budget analysis at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

OK.
I won't even bother to respond to your drivel, sorry your side lost in November...

Old 11-23-2016, 04:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:

When are they going to do that for the millionaire politicians in Congress? They're federal employees, too. With big pensions, cadillac insurance, lots of perks like air fare and big expense accounts, free meals. AND they vote themselves raises. Wadda country!

And now Trump is going to give them big fat tax cuts, on top of all they already get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies