Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Many people's argument is about the oil.
I can only speak for myself.

Quote:
The argument that we "all use it" and therefore are hypocrites for protesting against it is because we have a forced dependency on oil. That argument is a non starter. People want alternative energy sources, but our government has to be behind the push to invest in this technology. Leaving it to the "private market" only means one thing: The status quo will remain in place and any attempts to challenge conventional fossil fuels in the "private market" will be squashed by the most wealthy industry in the history of the world.

These people protesting this pipeline across their land and under their water are all in favor of alternative energy sources, you can bet on that. But our Republican led government is fairly clear they are prostitutes of the fossil fuel industry.
This has all happened under a (D) administration. It was a (D) administration that allowed the permits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 10:43 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
At the bottom of this I'm actually betting that the tribes and the feds have a mutual interest. I don't trust either in their motives. The core of it for me at this point is that it's been settled legally, and the line is going to be built. I'm thinking this "protest" is nothing but extortion under a "spiritual" banner. I'm thinking some sort of payout is for the coming just to get these people to leave. It's pretty simple. Their costing a LOT of money to be layer out with their antjcs. So they get paid off, for less than it would cost if they stay, and it's party time.
You think these people are just out there suffering, getting arrested, and freezing because they are after a "payout"? And you really believe that these folks are suffering because they think there is money waiting for them?

Seriously? You've obviously never taken a stand for something you believe in before.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

This has all happened under a (D) administration. It was a (D) administration that allowed the permits.
A (D) administration admits what science has long ago figured out: Our use of oil is changing our planet and the consequences will be disastrous. They are the only adults in the room. And Republicans have both houses of Congress under Obama, and now the Executive Office.

Wake up, climate change is not (D) vs. (R), it's science versus fantasy. You choose which side you're on. I'll stick with science.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
A (D) administration admits what science has long ago figured out: Our use of oil is changing our planet and the consequences will be disastrous. They are the only adults in the room. And Republicans have both houses of Congress under Obama, and now the Executive Office.

Wake up, climate change is not (D) vs. (R), it's science versus fantasy. You choose which side you're on. I'll stick with science.
Sorry, neither side is on your side. A (D) administration approved this pipeline. When you start arguing for either of these two parties you lose me.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry, neither side is on your side. A (D) administration approved this pipeline. When you start arguing for either of these two parties you lose me.
Quote:
Wake up, climate change is not (D) vs. (R)
I lose you at the first mention of "climate change". At least be honest.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I lose you at the first mention of "climate change". At least be honest.
I support investing in alternative energy. I do not support political pay offs like Solyndra.

Approving this pipeline is not investing in alternative energy.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:08 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Then argue that. Don't use my correct argument to argue it.

It's likely already cost more than it would have cost to move it. It's costing the protesters a lot less than it's costing the pipeline to continue to fight them.
Wow. Just...wow! "Use your arguement?" Seriously? I in now way shape or form used your arguement for anything. All I did was explain it a bit to another poster. Not just your arguement...but your "correct arguement" says you? Lmao....oh man that's ....a special kind of thought process. Quite special. Worthy of its own seperate venue on the world stage.

Medals, gold through bronze awarded in events like backpeddling, absolutism, hijacking of terminology, swapping horses in the middle of the crick, etc. Lol, meh....whatever. Any way, thanks for validating what I said and reinforcing what I said. At least from my point of the proverbial spear. Ummm, yes it certainly is costing the protesters a lot less than the contractor and the government to be there. Oh my. That was exactly my point in stating what I feel this whole lovely mess is about.

The president's overseeing this fracas are long dead, but their graven images adorn our currency. The fact that it costs the "protester" considerably less to be an obstacle than it costs a plethora of government and private agencies to navigate that obstae gives the "protesters" the ...economic edge. Yes? Cost to potential profit ratio. Isn't that the standard business model deemed to be desirable?

Just like the water situation I described earlier that's happening here, it's all just gravy for the tribes. 0 cost.and off the hook profit. Just invoke the spirits, do the Ghost Dance, call on Wovoka (who's untended and dilapidated burial site is not far from where I'm sitting) get a few of the noisy wild eyed white eyes who are hung up on American Indian metaphysical and spiritual traditions, and start a protest. Or file a lawsuit. When the feds pay for and back such a suit what's to lose? That's my take on this. It's a LOT less complicated than where you're looking.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Wow. Just...wow! "Use your arguement?" Seriously? I in now way shape or form used your arguement for anything. All I did was explain it a bit to another poster.
Double talk if I ever saw it.

Quote:
Not just your arguement...but your "correct arguement" says you? Lmao....oh man that's ....a special kind of thought process. Quite special. Worthy of its own seperate venue on the world stage.

Medals, gold through bronze awarded in events like backpeddling, absolutism, hijacking of terminology, swapping horses in the middle of the crick, etc. Lol, meh....whatever. Any way, thanks for validating what I said and reinforcing what I said. At least from my point of the proverbial spear. Ummm, yes it certainly is costing the protesters a lot less than the contractor and the government to be there. Oh my. That was exactly my point in stating what I feel this whole lovely mess is about.

The president's overseeing this fracas are long dead, but their graven images adorn our currency. The fact that it costs the "protester" considerably less to be an obstacle than it costs a plethora of government and private agencies to navigate that obstae gives the "protesters" the ...economic edge. Yes? Cost to potential profit ratio. Isn't that the standard business model deemed to be desirable?

Just like the water situation I described earlier that's happening here, it's all just gravy for the tribes. 0 cost.and off the hook profit. Just invoke the spirits, do the Ghost Dance, call on Wovoka (who's untended and dilapidated burial site is not far from where I'm sitting) get a few of the noisy wild eyed white eyes who are hung up on American Indian metaphysical and spiritual traditions, and start a protest. Or file a lawsuit. When the feds pay for and back such a suit what's to lose? That's my take on this. It's a LOT less complicated than where you're looking.
Ranting doesn't change anything.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You think these people are just out there suffering, getting arrested, and freezing because they are after a "payout"? And you really believe that these folks are suffering because they think there is money waiting for them?

Seriously? You've obviously never taken a stand for something you believe in before.
Not the protesters themselves no. But there's a food chain here rest assured. The people on the site are just pawns. "Never taken a stand for anything I believe in?" Based on what I've said here you can state that as an absolute? I don't deal in absolutes, it's ..ill advised. Nothing I've said here can be considered such. It's just my gut call based on what I'm getting from various sources.

Oh I'm sure those people down there in the mud, at least a lot of them, believe in some reason or another for being there. But there's other entities up the crick that are profiting from them being there. That, I feel, is a certainty. Rest assured I've taken plenty of belief oriented stands. To great personal injury incurred. But I'll cut you some slack for that Crack as its possible you weren't actually intending to hurl an insult of that magnitude. It's also possible you knew full well in which case it's obvious where that would probably go.

One of the biggest reasons I've well learned that absolutes spoken off the cuff are a bad idea is that one can never know what such a comment might be taken like. What deeply offends a given individual is quite relative. Anyway, yes, I believe the protesters are being played for fools at this point.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Not the protesters themselves no. But there's a food chain here rest assured. The people on the site are just pawns. "Never taken a stand for anything I believe in?" Based on what I've said here you can state that as an absolute? I don't deal in absolutes, it's ..ill advised. Nothing I've said here can be considered such. It's just my gut call based on what I'm getting from various sources.

Oh I'm sure those people down there in the mud, at least a lot of them, believe in some reason or another for being there. But there's other entities up the crick that are profiting from them being there. That, I feel, is a certainty. Rest assured I've taken plenty of belief oriented stands. To great personal injury incurred. But I'll cut you some slack for that Crack as its possible you weren't actually intending to hurl an insult of that magnitude. It's also possible you knew full well in which case it's obvious where that would probably go.

One of the biggest reasons I've well learned that absolutes spoken off the cuff are a bad idea is that one can never know what such a comment might be taken like. What deeply offends a given individual is quite relative. Anyway, yes, I believe the protesters are being played for fools at this point. There's far more to all this than meets the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies