Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Shutting down American owned plants in the north and opening often lower playing foreign owned plants in the south and mexico is not winning.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. When you have states battling each other to take jobs away from another state with the promise that you won't have to pay their workers the higher wage being paid in the other state, that's pathetic. Southern states have been pulling that crap for the last few decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 11:17 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
That's not true. Factories moved to the non-union south then onto mexico. What's the problem if someone works hard and makes good money? Why don't you take the job then? Factory work even today can be hard, unpleasant and somewhat dangerous. Don't begrudge them.
The bottom line is that there are a lot of fascists in this country that want all the power for the money changers at the business and government level and no power for anyone else.

Clinton would have been bad, and Trump is slightly not as bad but we need a stronger person in power to drain the swamps in the financial sector.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly. When you have states battling each other to take jobs away from another state with the promise that you won't have to pay their workers the higher wage being paid in the other state, that's pathetic. Southern states have been pulling that crap for the last few decades.
I'm not sure how I feel about another state offering a sweeter tax deal and less red tape to take away from another state, but to offer significant lower wages even when adjusted for any cost of living factor is something I don't like. That's where unions can help. I think foreign transplants should be required to unionize if their domestic competitor is and shouldn't be given such sweet tax deals. But then the companies are allowed to move on to Mexico free and clear with no tariff. That's where I think the line is really crossed. The American market is just given away for free. There's just no way to win with globalism.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
The bottom line is that there are a lot of fascists in this country that want all the power for the money changers at the business and government level and no power for anyone else.

Clinton would have been bad, and Trump is slightly not as bad but we need a stronger person in power to drain the swamps in the financial sector.
I know. We need a whole bunch of congressmembers too. Where is the democrat party the supposedly working person's party on this? Playing identity politics and embracing globalism.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about another state offering a sweeter tax deal and less red tape to take away from another state, but to offer significant lower wages even when adjusted for any cost of living factor is something I don't like. That's where unions can help. I think foreign transplants should be required to unionize if their domestic competitor is and shouldn't be given such sweet tax deals. But then the companies are allowed to move on to Mexico free and clear with no tariff. That's where I think the line is really crossed. The American market is just given away for free. There's just no way to win with globalism.
I don't like job stealing at all under any circumstance. But the tax thing is admittedly less slimy than doing it by promising slave wages for relocating.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
States have been competing for business and jobs for decades. State legislators offer lucrative incentive packages to entice companies to build or repurpose plants and hire thousands. South Carolina offers a lower wage base, is a Right to Work state and has one of the lowest percentage of unionized workforce in the country which makes it an attractive option for relocation of manufacturing.

This was played out with Boeing. As I recall, it was Boeing's intent to build a new Dreamliner plant in WA.and in doing so create up to 3800 new jobs. Boeing eventually nixed plans to do so when the unions refused to waive their right to strike for 10 years.

At about the same timeframe, the Boeing SC employees voted the union out and the state legislate agreed to offer a ton of incentives to Boeing. And Boeing decided to expand their footprint in SC.

The wage paid in Washington was adequate to prevent a theoretical employee with a family of four from qualifying for Federal tax relief and SNAP benefits. The wage paid in SC for the same family size qualified the family for tax relief and in some cases, SNAP benefits. In effect, a burden was shifted to the Federal government and Congress gets to blame Obama for a weak economy. And it's likely that many of those Boeing employees in SC voted for Trump in hopes he will do something to help wages increase. And around we go.

Trump has walked a fine line with organized labor. He has been clear, on occasion, he thought Americans made too much money. That quickly morphed into the income gap and promises to bring back/ create jobs.

There are 26 Right to Work states. There is unprecedented investment in industrial robotics that are more productive than manpower.

Private Union membership in the US peaked 60 years ago.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
"Ten percent of the jobs at the plant are held by Chinese employees."

Ok, someone please tell me what this means. How are they "Chinese?" Are they Chinese Chinese or Chinese American? What is their immigration status, if not American? If they are American, what does China have to do with it?How are they hired? Ask them if they are "Chinese?"

Old 11-23-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
That's not the point. the US gave away most of it's very valuable domestic automotive market to foreigners. We just gave most every market away. GM practically invented much of the automotive technology and naturally sold and built cars in other markets especially ones that had no auto industry.
Help me out here. I don't understand your point of view.

GM employs about 200,000 people in 37 countries. GM, like the other auto manufacturers have had offshore operations for serious decades. Heck, Ford has had offshore operations for almost 100 years. GM's largest markets are China and India.

Are you suggesting that GM should close all offshore operations and instead assemble all vehicles in the US and in doing so, lose market share because the cost of US labor, overseas shipping and import tariffs would make the sticker price uncompetitive with other foreign brands? Bounds like a prescription for business failure to me.

Then again, perhaps I am missing something.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
"Ten percent of the jobs at the plant are held by Chinese employees."

Ok, someone please tell me what this means. How are they "Chinese?" Are they Chinese Chinese or Chinese American? What is their immigration status, if not American? If they are American, what does China have to do with it?How are they hired? Ask them if they are "Chinese?"
I have no idea what this means which shall not prevent me from speculating.

Likely the 10% who are Chinese have a long history with Fuyao and their international operations. They know how to create, operate and expand a glass manufacturing plant/ business and train employees to do a job to company expectations and turn a profit, doing so.

Likely, a part of the 10% will be redeployed to other international locations to do the same thing and a core group will remain.

I posted a Fuyao job description earlier in this thread. Likely, most of us would qualify for this job, assuming we could pass the drug test and would show up sober ready to learn and work. Does not mean any of us know beans about glass manufacturing or operate a glass manufacturing plant, let alone do so profitably.

It's no different than a US business opening a plant in India or China. There's a core group of US employees who know how to set up and operate an international operation and do so profitably.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:31 AM

649 posts, read 316,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Can't believe people take $8/hour jobs. I made $11.33 when I finally quit my grocery store job back in 2004. I'd take government cheese before making under $13/hour starting. $8/ hour is a high school level wage.
This is why jobs have moved to countries where people are willing to work .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies