Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 01:57 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
What if I make a false accusation of you, persist, get other people to believe it to the point where more do than not, where the most accept it as fact?

Will that make it true? Why discuss it if it is wrong? No point in combating the lie because it is false? You can ignore it and it will all go away right? Is that what you are saying?
People in this thread are arguing that our government is interpreting the law wrong. If they cannot even interpret a law correctly, what makes you think they can successfully deport millions of people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it doesn't. You deport them to their legal country of residence.
And how do you figure that out? Illegals often show up with little to no paperwork.

Just imagine how much time we've wasted on this conversation. Multiply that by millions. That's the amount of time it would take for our government to deal with the problem.

Punishing companies for hiring illegals, punishing landlords for housing illegals, and punishing legal US residents for housing illegals is a step in the right direction. Also, prohibit them from obtaining a drivers license or any form of ID.

The anchor baby issue is just a symptom of our weak enforcement of immigration laws.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:05 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Native Americans, Eskimos, Aleutians, and other U.S. aboriginals born in the U.S. have U.S. birth certificates, yet still needed an exception made for them in our Nationality Law to give them birthright U.S. citizenship. Anchor babies have been given no such exception.

Why are you talking about territories which are covered under completely different subsections of the Nationality Law? Recall that the exception made for Native Americans, Eskimos, Aleutians, and other U.S. aboriginals in subsection (b) requires birth in the U.S.

Birth in the territories isn't covered until subsection (e):

(e) a person born in an outlying possession of the United States of parents one of whom is a citizen of the United States who has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year at any time prior to the birth of such person;
Still doesn't negate the fact that the law doesn't specifically address births from illegal aliens. Everything you are showing me doesn't address the issue of child born from illegals. So my original statement still stands, the parents gave birth in the US, they are not under any diplomatic capacity, have birth in one of the 50 states, so technically the child is a legitimate US citizen. Loophole? Probably, butas far as I can see, the child(Ren) is(are) legitimate citizens

Old 11-28-2016, 02:09 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,906,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
People in this thread are arguing that our government is interpreting the law wrong. If they cannot even interpret a law correctly, what makes you think they can successfully deport millions of people?
Fair point, and a question many have concerning the issue.

Quote:
And how do you figure that out? Illegals often show up with little to no paperwork.

Just imagine how much time we've wasted on this conversation. Multiply that by millions. That's the amount of time it would take for our government to deal with the problem.
Yes and no. There are costs, but the fact is as was showed in the early part of the 20th century, simply making an effort to sweep to remove them actually causes many of them to exit the country anyway. When you consider the amount these people are costing our economy, our services, etc... it is worth it for a one time cost. You are right though, this has to be organized with diligence and direction, not that of standard government bureaucracy. In fact, I would privatize the process and give bonuses for efficiency and early finish.

Quote:
Punishing companies for hiring illegals, punishing landlords for housing illegals, and punishing legal US residents for housing illegals is a step in the right direction. Also, prohibit them from obtaining a drivers license or any form of ID.
Agreed, this needs to be done as well.

Quote:
The anchor baby issue is just a symptom of our weak enforcement of immigration laws.
It is a symptom of illegal actions by a corrupt government. We first need to correct the corruption in our government before we can expect any real progress to be made on this front. Unfortunately, I think the only solution that will produce any results is an Article 5 convention. /shrug

Old 11-28-2016, 02:16 PM

What is with the obsession on the right of being hardline on the illegals workers themselves, and not the employers who hire them?? Do any of you think for yourselves, I mean at all? What's easier? Rounding up 11 million illegals and deporting them out of the US and giving each one a court hearing, or punishing the employers, a tiny fraction of the illegal workforce, and causing illegals to self deport?

Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
hey I am Also an Engineer, a Chemical Engineer to be accurate. And yes, you know that to be engineer it requires some habilities with Math. How many classmates you had that didn't end the school for performance and how many were unable to finish it due to lack of economical resources. I congratulate you for your achievement, but for sure you will agree with me that you are not the average.
I'm a mechanical engineer. I actually sucked at math. I was far better in history but I quickly realized there was no market for history buffs so it became more of a hobby. I'm mechanically inclined though so I had to study extra hard at math. However I know people who have excelled at anything from starting a small business, to nursing, to plumbing. I know people that made far more money simply importing raw materials. The possibilities here seems endless.

What country do you live in?

Old 11-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What is with the obsession on the right of being hardline on the illegals workers themselves, and not the employers who hire them?? Do any of you think for yourselves, I mean at all? What's easier? Rounding up 11 million illegals and deporting them out of the US and giving each one a court hearing, or punishing the employers, a tiny fraction of the illegal workforce, and causing illegals to self deport?
The problem isn't companies, but builders, painters, and other trades. They often just recruit people and pay them for a job. It's kind of hard to verify employment status this way.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The problem isn't companies, but builders, painters, and other trades. They often just recruit people and pay them for a job. It's kind of hard to verify employment status this way.
In other words, good luck trying to round up illegals the old fashioned way, the way that is constantly championed around here. Seems like the only logical way to save this problem REALISTICALLY, is to give illegals a special, at least a non-immigrant visa. Get them leg status, start paying taxes, fingerprint all of them like every other visa applicant needs to do, and there you go. The only thing stopping this is, quite frankly, racism. I will laugh so hard if this is the solution Trump ultimately comes up with. But, how are you going to deport 11 million people? It's a total logistical nightmare

Old 11-28-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
In other words, good luck trying to round up illegals the old fashioned way, the way that is constantly championed around here. Seems like the only logical way to save this problem REALISTICALLY, is to give illegals a special, at least a non-immigrant visa. Get them leg status, start paying taxes, fingerprint all of them like every other visa applicant needs to do, and there you go. The only thing stopping this is, quite frankly, racism. I will laugh so hard if this is the solution Trump ultimately comes up with. But, how are you going to deport 11 million people? It's a total logistical nightmare
I find it quite amusing. The same people who want a smaller government also want the government to round up, fingerprint, identify, and deport illegals. Doesn't sound like a small government to me.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:11 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:

I'm just as hard lined about the employers as I am the illegal workers. I don't know where you are getting the notion that most conservatives aren't. What is it about the left that just wants to blame the employers but not the illegal workers though? No one dragged them over the border to work here and they knew what they were doing was wrong. We don't need to "round" them all up just remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and instead of giving them stays of deportation enforce the laws on the books as they are found.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:12 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
I find it quite amusing. The same people who want a smaller government also want the government to round up, fingerprint, identify, and deport illegals. Doesn't sound like a small government to me.

So enforcing any of our laws is akin to large government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies