Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor privatizing Medicare?
Yes 16 13.45%
No 103 86.55%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:08 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,449,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I favor privatizing everything. If there is competition there will be better standards for taking care of the elderly, don't do a good job you go out of business.
How many banks and brokerages who didn't do a good job went out out of business after the market crashed?

Were they bailed out with our money after the average investor/homeowner lost a ton of equity?

Too big to fail isn't just an old saying from the crash, is it?

Last edited by OotsaPootsa; 12-01-2016 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:15 AM

21,991 posts, read 15,743,872 times
It is amazing how fast this happens when a Republican president is elected. Trump has not even been inaugurated yet and already this appears to be the plan:

"On the one hand, Trump declared that he wouldn't touch Social Security or Medicare. "I'm not going to cut Social Security like every other Republican, and I'm not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid," he said in a May 2015 interview, which is still featured on his campaign website. On the other hand, Trump's transition website includes this sentence on health-care policy: "Modernize Medicare, so that it will be ready for the challenges with the coming retirement of the Baby Boom generation - and beyond." Trump joining Ryan's Medicare efforts could achieve a long-standing conservative goal..."

A Medicare War Is Coming. What Will Trump Do? - NBC News

So Trump goes from the campaign promise of he won't touch Medicare or Medicaid to he will "modernize Medicare", the new catchphrase for Paul Ryan's plan.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:15 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,449,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That's because you think the elderly are stupid. Like my FIL said, "we're old, not stupid."
She didn't say the elderly are stupid, did she?

Dementia and senility are real issues for a significant portion of the aging population. They are often the victims of elder crime, targeted by scammers.

Of course those people need help and protection. Many of them served our country in time of war when the survival of democracy was in doubt and/or built the America we live in today.

I won't allow any political party to throw them to the wolves if I can help it.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM

18,853 posts, read 8,508,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
How many banks and brokerages who didn't do a good job went out out of business after the market crashed?

Were they bailed out with our money after the average investor/homeowner lost a ton of equity?

Too big to fail isn't just a old saying from the crash, is it?
Getting a bit off topic. But the banks weren't bailed with our money. At least none that I put in. And I agree that a large part of the problem is that the middle class didn't also get enough bail.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,311,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Getting a bit off topic. But the banks weren't bailed with our money. At least none that I put in. And I agree that a large part of the problem is that the middle class didn't also get enough bail.
You didn't' put it in, but you sure as heck get to pay it back.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,181,280 times
What is Obamacare? Privatized health care with premium support for low-income people.

What are Republicans going to replace Medicare with? Privatized health care with vouchers (premium support).

So, in essence, the Republicans want to replace Medicare with... more Obamacare!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 AM

21,991 posts, read 15,743,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
What is Obamacare? Privatized health care with premium support for low-income people.

What are Republicans going to replace Medicare with? Privatized health care with vouchers (premium support).

So, in essence, the Republicans want to replace Medicare with... more Obamacare!
Well...when you put it that way...yes, that sounds about right.

But don't forget, Trump's campaign promise has been changed. He now is saying "Modernizing Medicare".

Old 12-01-2016, 10:35 AM

18,853 posts, read 8,508,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You didn't' put it in, but you sure as heck get to pay it back.
No one has raised my taxes to do so. My taxes are based on my income, not the amount of bank bail. TARP was essentially a wash and paid back. Most all the bank bails were done with Fed money and accounting shenanigans, not taxpayer money per se.

Medicare is the topic.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,742,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
No. Care of the Nation's most vulnerable people should not be a for-profit exercise.
Private is not the same as "for profit". I work for a non-profit.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,767,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No one has raised my taxes to do so. My taxes are based on my income, not the amount of bank bail. TARP was essentially a wash and paid back. Most all the bank bails were done with Fed money and accounting shenanigans, not taxpayer money per se.

Medicare is the topic.
Money created by the Fed is no less "your money" than money you paid in taxes.

And yes, borrowing, taxes, and central banking policy are relevant to medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies