Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. Isn't it odd that we both know how it's done but literally millions of college students don't? How does that disconnect even happen?
In all honesty, I learned from my kids (both Millennials) who happen to be go-getters and figured it out on their own when they were in college.

I used to post almost exclusively in the Work and Employment forum but the skewed moderating finally got to me. I have more than 1,500 DMs here - mostly from young people looking for advice since I no longer post there, and I'm always happy to help them. Some take the advice, some don't.

I don't know where the disconnect is, but I can usually tell in my DM exchanges which people are going to be successful landing a job soon and which ones won't. The difference in attitudes is astonishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
... next generation?

I think this is a serious question that needs asked. Many of the Millenials have got a huge "boost" from their parents and grandparents who saved enough money to pay for their college, wedding, 20% down on their house, pay for their car when they turned 16, etc. From the looks of it, these same Millenials aren't on track to have enough of a net worth to do any of the same for their kids. When the average net worth of a nation's citizens reaches $0 or negative, that's when it is essentially a 3rd world country even if it doesn't look like one yet.
I wonder if these same Millenials will be there for their parents when they become elderly and need help because they spend so much on their kids.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,241,466 times
Quote:
A household income to house price ratio of 8:35 or approximately 1:4 is hard to come by nowadays. In my city, the median household income is ~$70k and the median house price is ~$600k, a proportion of around 1:8 or 1:9, and that proportion holds for the surrounding suburbs as well.
This must be something to do with your particular location. In Connecticut, for example, Hartford County, there are plentiful circa-100k jobs for millennials and housing is around 300k for a starter home in the premier suburb (West Hartford). You've got to find somewhere cheaper to live.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:59 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,984,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
LOL How HARD can you push? What a joke! You gonna strike out with your parasol or something
Nope.. we're just gonna steal one of the tennis balls off your walker so you just go in circles.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
... next generation?

I think this is a serious question that needs asked. Many of the Millenials have got a huge "boost" from their parents and grandparents who saved enough money to pay for their college, wedding, 20% down on their house, pay for their car when they turned 16, etc. From the looks of it, these same Millenials aren't on track to have enough of a net worth to do any of the same for their kids. When the average net worth of a nation's citizens reaches $0 or negative, that's when it is essentially a 3rd world country even if it doesn't look like one yet.

LOL... and many have worked hard, paid their own way and have have successful careers. I know this doesn't fit your agenda of making mellenials look bad, nor making yourself look like some wise old owl who " did things right". Please tell us what you have done for the for the "next generation"? Except for making nonsense comments about 3ed world countries.
The way it looks to you.... is based on the snowflakes that get the press while the quiet hard working young people today are totally ignored by the likes of you and people like you because you've got nothing to complain about with them.
Your angst with people who have money is also quite apparent. The real question that needs to be asked is... How is any of your business what wealthy people or people who aren't exactly wealthy and still try to help their kids? How is it hurting "YOU"?

Old 12-10-2016, 01:42 PM

649 posts, read 317,110 times
If what the colleges are teaching now is any indication they'll still be living in someone's basement in their old age .

Old 12-10-2016, 02:10 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,338,778 times
My Millenial AND Gen X children aren't living off Baby Boomer Mommy and Daddy's Wealth because we don't have any. What makes people think we Boomers are rich?

When we were young, there were no 401K's. My husband's IT positions were offshored to India THREE times back in the 90's raising two children. JUST Factory Jobs that went bye, bye? How did we survive? Off the 401K. So do you seriously think we socked so much away in just 20 years to retire on? Think again.

Actually, Gen X daughter is worse off (back surgery gone wrong) than her younger Millenial sister and her husband because they have college educations (older daughter doesn't) and are Teachers, BUT neither of them even have basements where Mom and Dad can live in when the Republicans cut our Social Security and Medicare. Do everything RIGHT and Life can still kick you in the butt whether you are a Republican or a Democrat. Life doesn't care what your political party is.

Stop pitting one generation against the other. We ALL have our problems, and Trump and the Republicans could care less except for making the Rich even Richer.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:16 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,360,374 times
We're all actually running on money stolen from future generations...anything produced in the past or present has already been spent.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:20 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
We're all actually running on money stolen from future generations...anything produced in the past or present has already been spent.
100% this. And it's a shame.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
You forgot to mention trust funds. They are the single biggest boost to real estate costs in the past 15 years. No trust fund? Pity you.

Naturally you didn't post any citation for your claim. There are many mellenials who have pulled themselves up via their bootstraps, paid their own way and have become successful enough to buy their own homes. Many of the previous generations are already homeowners so now there are probably more mellenials purchasing real estate. This ( as I mentioned to another poster) of course doesn't fit into your narrative on mellenials or trust fund babies so admitting it would make your previous statement sound more like sour grapes " no trust fund, Pity you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies