Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:12 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times

Advertisements

The country has been being torn apart for 8 years. This election just brought it to a head is all. I am not sure what the goal of driving wedges between groups of the pitting of one group against another with all of the identity politics was, but Obama succeeded in doing it. That Trump brought out the people who were on the losing side of the current "who is in favor politically" split has been just too much of a shock for both sides, hence the current bad behavior.

The wounds on both sides will not be easily or quickly healed. 8 years is a lot of damage to undo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 02:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I've tried to get things done with the Convention of States project. With luck, we can rein in BOTH parties in DC: Convention of States

I've figured out that Obama, Trump, Hillary, Kasich, Bush, Romney, McCain, etc just don't have it in them to rein in DC, and neither do McConnell, Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, Ryan, Boehner, etc. I don't even think Cruz or Sanders could fix it with all the corruption in there.

More people are corrupted by DC by going there rather than cleaning out the corruption they were sent there to get rid of.

Both parties would sell us out for the highest bidder, and view us only as peasants to be manipulated. They pit the two parties against each other to make us think that at the national level, there is any real difference that will save us each election.

I didn't play their game this year and didn't vote either Trump or Hillary but did a write in.

Trump may have made a few appointments, but, overall, it appears his administration is going to be YET ANOTHER good ole boys network with a good ole boy Congress.

And yes, I AM alarmed by the Trump is god crowd as much as I was the Obama is god crowd. Both are alarming and it shows that both parties have people that would follow its leader like they want a king and it's disturbing.
You're right, both of their supporters treated them like "gods" from the moment they became the President-elect. Whch was wrong in itself. The difference though is Obama conducted himself like a decent person and maintained the high road from the onset of his campaign until well after he took office.

Trump, on the other hand, started on the low road and continued there on. When his comments were mischaracterized by the media, he didn't even address it properly to correct them.. He just kept up the name-calling and lowbrow behavior which made the mis-characterizations seem true. Hillary was wrong for referring to all of his supporters as deplorable. She was right in that he does bring out deplorable behavior among a number of his supporters. It was like a switch was flipped and they went from being everyday Americans to White Supremacy terrorists the day after the election. Obama supporters did not terrorize other Americans as they celebrated his win and he won twice.

There is something (a deficit) in Trump's character that evokes the worst in people instead of their best.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:41 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
That is not what I think.

We have always - since day one and even before - had a conflict over government related ideas in this country. Our government is designed to provide a process for managing that conflict that leaves out guns and blood in the streets. It does not do away with the conflict, just the chaos, death and destruction of property.

While that may not be the full Kumbaya circle that you spoke of, it is still a really extraordinary and valuable improvement that we should always value and cherish, lest we return to the mayhem and carnage method that has been much more common in our past.

The conflict and hatred that you are talking about is at a new level and has really escalated over the last eight years while Obama as been in office. This conflict and tribal animosity has been carefully cultivated for the purpose of helping the Democrats to maintain political power. Of course it resulted in the exact opposite effect, as most people do not appreciate being treated and exploited in this way.

The conflict between policy ideas and who should lead will always be among us, as long as it is allowed, with the alternative being some sort of tyrannical regime which tolerates no dissent. We are better off with the ongoing drama and conflict over the policy ideas and the leadership elections.

The newer part is the efforts to enrage people along tribal lines and then pit these groups off against each other, using the tactics of "Identity Politics" and "Political Correctness," both of which are highly divisive and destructive to our society, in order to for certain people to try derive political power from that. As long as this campaign by the Democrat left continues, the conflict and the animosity along these lines will continue and there will be no relief.

So now you are seeing certain Trump supporters strike back, gloating, strutting, taunting, etc. After eight years of being on the receiving end of this sort of treatment from you guys, that is of course to be expected. But that will fade, if we can return the nature of our conflict back to focusing on policy ideas and such.

If you all will allow it, which sadly I am not very optimistic at all that you will.
"You guys?" "You all?"

As intent as I am and try to be on encouraging a little bit of peace, when you speak that way, I find it less than constructive.

Again, my post was not directed solely, or even primarily, at Trump supporters. I see horrible comments on here from people at all points on the political spectrum, yet you are talking to me about "you guys," and saying how unwilling we are to get along.

Tell me. If a bird landed on your shoulder with a twig in its beak, would you see an olive branch...or a switch?

Old 12-10-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
This poster is entirely correct. If you've been here at C-D for one measly month and already express such deep emotions over how the content here leaves you feeling, pull the plug already. It's not for you.
I have been on *this* forum for one month. That doesn't mean it's my first rodeo. I've been participating in discussion forums since the 90s. I say what I want to say, and when I step away from the computer, I put it out of my mind, get on with other things, and manage just fine.

I do appreciate your concern, though.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Another serious conservative over here.

And I would like to say I completely agree with you. And here are some serious hugs:
((((((((Hugs))))))))

I hope your next 24 hours are seriously better
Thank you, that is so appreciated! Sending hugs back, with interest.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump started all this hate with his rhetoric...lying Ted, little Marco...etc. Instead of being respectful he took the low road and started these insults. His rhetoric against Hillary increased with lies about her health and going to jail. And now his supporters just mimic him. I have never seen a president elect more disrespectful. It's a disgrace but it is what it is.

Refreshing to see someone in a leadership position, that is not bought off by the filters. The end of the PC crowd is ramping up.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
What a lovely post. I've read far too many stories this election about upset children, and it made me realize that as adults, we could stand to adult a little better around children. There's nothing noble or braggable about a seven year-old expressing opinions on politics. They deserve to possess unfettered innocent minds as long as possible, and we can provide that environment for them if we try a little harder.

I also liked the post that you responded to. We turned off the news after a month-long sabbatical in which we had no tv and it's been an experiment with fabulous results. We recently had weekend company who kept turning CNN on and we would just quietly change the channel every time to something more pleasant. They had children with them. Children who are seeing not just the news, but their parents' response to it. Probably not the best thing for them until they reach an age of better understanding and ability for independent critical thinking on their own.
Agreed. There is no reason to drag children into this. They see anger on the screen, hear their parents reactions, and end up reflecting that anger without even understanding why. A couple I know is raising their child in a TV-free home. They are both well-informed people who keep up with current events, they just don't want to have their three-year-old's life revolve around the box.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:57 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Humans are in it mainly for themselves. So when they have differences, it can get nasty.

You can the selfishness each and every day. Many times it is something that you may consider small.....but it is a bigger indicator people wanting to do what they want, societal boundaries be damned.

A nation of 330-million.....and no very-strong and overarching commonality, not much reason to try and get along.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:02 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Democrats have been seeing this for the past eight years and the one positive - if it can be called that - is giving it back in kind. Don't expect it to get better. If Republicans can do it for eight, we can do it for four. So the answer is, it doesn't stop. For a president elect, Trump is incredibly unpopular, the most unpopular I've ever seen.
Lol! Now this is just sad to me, this attitude. You see one bad behavior and copy it because "they" did it first! If you want to be a sour puss for 8 years that's your choice. Sounds like a sad way to spend 8 years.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I think most (not all) of the members posting seem to provide little other than simply show how disgusted and angry they are with anyone of a different political view or thought. All you have to do is add one of three words ( liberal, left, or Hillary ) to a post and the crazies come out. It appears that there are more conservatives posting in the forums however liberals simply have learned to avoid commenting on most of the threads and thus avoid reading unpleasant posts.
Please be careful to differentiate, in word choice, between "conservatives" and RWNJ's and "alt-right." There are a lot of people among the conservatives who care very much about the country and the various constituencies in it, and wish people no harm and do not threaten, through greedy policies, to harm them or their livelihoods or safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies