Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 07:32 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What makes Elon a hypocrit is that he wants electric cars to reduce greenhouse gases, and in the same breath wants to colonize Mars using fossil fueled heavy lift rockets.
I could drive my car for over a million miles on the fuel that just one heavy lift rocket consumes in a few minutes.
Could you clarify what you mean?

Rocket fuel can certainly be energy intensive to make, but it isn't a fossil fuel. It is mostly hydrazine. And like any process it can be as green as the electricity source you use.

Last edited by lkb0714; 12-20-2016 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:39 AM

1,850 posts, read 821,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am not, I am a 40 something woman who has been working in this field for 25 years.
That's terrible. You've worked in a field for 25 years and yet you can't even make correct observations about hurricanes? The rest of your work must be fabulous.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
That's terrible. You've worked in a field for 25 years and yet you can't even make correct observations about hurricanes? The rest of your work must be fabulous.
Wait...you think I study hurricanes? Why would you think that?

Anyway

Webster, Peter J., et al. "Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment." Science 309.5742 (2005): 1844-1846.

Elsner, J. B., A. B. Kara, and M. A. Owens. "Fluctuations in North Atlantic hurricane frequency." Journal of Climate 12.2 (1999): 427-437.

Raper, S. C. B. Observational data on the relationships between climatic change and the frequency and magnitude of severe tropical storms. Cambridge University Press, 1993.

All available on open source.

And you have shown ZERO evidence that hurricane intensity is decreasing. Care to post some primary lit?

Or is this one of those things that you think if you say it often enough its true?

Old 12-20-2016, 08:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Wait...you think I study hurricanes? Why would you think that?

Anyway

Webster, Peter J., et al. "Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment." Science 309.5742 (2005): 1844-1846.

Elsner, J. B., A. B. Kara, and M. A. Owens. "Fluctuations in North Atlantic hurricane frequency." Journal of Climate 12.2 (1999): 427-437.

Raper, S. C. B. Observational data on the relationships between climatic change and the frequency and magnitude of severe tropical storms. Cambridge University Press, 1993.

All available on open source.

And you have shown ZERO evidence that hurricane intensity is decreasing. Care to post some primary lit?

Or is this one of those things that you think if you say it often enough its true?
The newest reference there is 12 years old.

Even those claiming this are now saying that it *might* be happening, it's just that we can't detect it.

It is premature to conclude that human activities–and particularly
greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming–have already had a detectable impact on Atlantic hurricane or global tropical cyclone activity. That said, human activities may have already caused changes that are not yet detectable due to the small magnitude of the changes or observational limitations, or are not yet confidently modeled (e.g., aerosol effects on regional climate).

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-war...nd-hurricanes/

(see how easy it is to provide the link)

Old 12-20-2016, 08:20 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,956 times
Quote:
I posted 4 articles proving otherwise. Do you have a similar amount of evidence.

As for El Nino, you couldn't be more wrong. Last year was the strongest El Nino since 97-98. Maybe you want to try again?

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...quarterbacking.

Actually I am NOT a climatologist, I am an oceanographer but ok.

It is interesting that you find my explanation intricate as I have tried to put them in the simplest terms possible. I am sorry that much of it was unclear for you. If you tell me which parts you struggled with I can attempt to explain in simpler terms.

And ultimately, the proof of the pudding, is that you couldn't support your statements at all, and I did.

Why is it a problem? You're not a scientist. You don't make policy. Your ability to understand is not needed. I do not understand the mechanisms that govern lots of things but I trust in the expertise of my plumber, or the man who manages our portfolio, and things work out just fine.

I am not, I am a 40 something woman who has been working in this field for 25 years. In addition to publishing on oceanography topics (not pure climate science) I also have a full time gig teaching research at a STEM school for the gifted, a part time one working for a federal research agency and I adjunct at local uni. Oh, and I have a grad degree in my field, so it don't need to regurgitate anything.

But the fact that you think you need to attack the messenger says quite a bit about the fact you are not really here to have a discussion about the science. Which btw, is fine. Your acceptance of science is not necessary in anyway.

OTOH, clearly you have nothing to contribute to science part, as shown by your complete lack of evidence, so what is the point of your contribution?
Hats off to you lkb for giving the climate change deniers a thorough ass kicking in this thread.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, and in the post I originally posted them in, the poster claimed that scientists had said FREQUENCY would increase. Besides those showing intensity increasing, they also showed that scientists had always shown that frequency would decrease.

Holland, Greg, and Cindy L. Bruyère. "Recent intense hurricane response to global climate change." Climate Dynamics 42.3-4 (2014): 617-627.

"...leading to development of a distinctly bimodal intensity distribution, with the secondary maximum at Category 4 hurricanes..."

Luckily that one seems to show a leveling out point at which increases become logarithmic.

Bender, M. A. et al. Model impact of anthropogenic warming on the frequency of intense Atlantic hurricanes. Science 327, 454–458 (2010)

Coumou, Dim, and Stefan Rahmstorf. "A decade of weather extremes." Nature Climate Change 2.7 (2012): 491-496.

Mendelsohn, Robert, et al. "The impact of climate change on global tropical cyclone damage." Nature Climate Change 2.3 (2012): 205-209.

Do you need more?

Old 12-20-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, and in the post I originally posted them in, the poster claimed that scientists had said FREQUENCY would increase. Besides those showing intensity increasing, they also showed that scientists had always shown that frequency would decrease.

Holland, Greg, and Cindy L. Bruyère. "Recent intense hurricane response to global climate change." Climate Dynamics 42.3-4 (2014): 617-627.

"...leading to development of a distinctly bimodal intensity distribution, with the secondary maximum at Category 4 hurricanes..."

Luckily that one seems to show a leveling out point at which increases become logarithmic.

Bender, M. A. et al. Model impact of anthropogenic warming on the frequency of intense Atlantic hurricanes. Science 327, 454–458 (2010)

Coumou, Dim, and Stefan Rahmstorf. "A decade of weather extremes." Nature Climate Change 2.7 (2012): 491-496.

Mendelsohn, Robert, et al. "The impact of climate change on global tropical cyclone damage." Nature Climate Change 2.3 (2012): 205-209.

Do you need more?
There was no decade of weather extreme's.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Even those claiming this are now saying that it *might* be happening, it's just that we can't detect it.

It is premature to conclude that human activities–and particularly
greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming–have already had a detectable impact on Atlantic hurricane or global tropical cyclone activity. That said, human activities may have already caused changes that are not yet detectable due to the small magnitude of the changes or observational limitations, or are not yet confidently modeled (e.g., aerosol effects on regional climate).

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-war...nd-hurricanes/

(see how easy it is to provide the link)
Holy cherry picking batman!

You took a single sentence immediately followed by....

"Anthropogenic warming by the end of the 21st century will likely cause tropical cyclones globally to be more intense on average (by 2 to 11% according to model projections for an IPCC A1B scenario)."

Tsk, tsk that is a logical fallacy.....

Old 12-20-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Holy cherry picking batman!

You took a single sentence immediately followed by....

"Anthropogenic warming by the end of the 21st century will likely cause tropical cyclones globally to be more intense on average (by 2 to 11% according to model projections for an IPCC A1B scenario)."

Tsk, tsk that is a logical fallacy.....
I posted the part that has happened. Nothing. You posted the dismissed scare tactics. They do far more harm than good. They allow people in their minds to dismiss the entire argument.

Global warming, climate change, whatever.....we should get as clean as we reasonably can regardless.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
There was no decade of weather extreme's.
Ah, so you think just saying that negates peer reviewed literature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies