Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 06:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Lol....You would be happier if he left them for another women?
Just slightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:25 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I'd have no issue.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:34 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
It will be devastating. A real punch in the face from Mohammed Ali.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
No issue on my part.

A similar poll was posted on the forum a few years back.

I was surprised by the number who said they would disown their child he/ she came out. I was surprised so many felt they " owned" their children to the point of " disowning" them.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:54 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
I would still love my son and he would always be an active part of my life but my wife and I would be heartbroken.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:45 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Of course I would accept it.

But I would worry every day about people mistreating him because of his orientation.
Yes. A parent always wants their child to have a life where you don't have to worry about things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I was sympathetic to you until your last line about keeping legs shut. Women are always to blame I don't think so. How about men keeping it in their pants.
I know several gay men that expect acceptance of their lifestyle, and receive it, but still feel free to pass on wisdoms like you just mentioned. It drives me INSANE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Do what you want as long as you don't initiate force on others.

I try to put my energy into not screwing up my own life. And I need all the energy I can get
Parents put a great deal of energy trying to make sure their kids don't screw up their own life. (Which we can't really do; but we try anyway).

That said, my kid is my kid is my kid. A lifetime of loving him wouldn't be so easily undone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We were involved with Dallas Pflag for many years. Most conservatives are very accepting of their gay children. It is the uneducated Dem/Repub who sometimes struggles.

Progressives mostly use the gay / Trans issue as a political ploy to get the vote.

And when did Gender Bathrooms become an issue? Does anyone really want a old fat Tranny using the girls room with your Granddaughter ?
I think bathrooms became an issue when Republicans started passing laws about it. Until then, it was and is pretty much a non-issue that no one really thought much about.

Sounds like a vote getting tactic, eh?

Old 12-25-2016, 10:49 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

I think bathrooms became an issue when Republicans started passing laws about it. Until then, it was and is pretty much a non-issue that no one really thought much about.

Sounds like a vote getting tactic, eh?
I think it was when a transsexual voiced their opinion and wanted to walk in to the girl bathroom and made a big deal about it...before then people just went were they thought they belonged and nobody really cared.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
That being said, most gay people are born that way. Most. Then there are those that go that way due to early childhood molestation, and then there are those that just "experiment". Experimentation is becoming ridiculously popular with kids these days, mostly due to all the mind-bending media coverage of the issue.

So I'd have to know the story. I'd look her right in the eye and say "Ok, tell me the story." I would get at the truth. If I can determine she was born that way, of course I would accept her as she is, she's my child.

If I determine molestation was involved? I've got some hunting to do.

If it's experimentation, then on with the show. Much like some parents have done to kids they've caught smoking, where they make them chain smoke a whole pack right in front of them, I would ensure she moves out of that phase as quickly as she went into it. How? Overt acceptance and encouragement to the point where it becomes discouraging.

There's your answer. Sorry, it doesn't fit the poll.
Im not an absolutist, so im sure there is someone out there that is gay just because they can be, but I doubt it.

Also, who you have sex with doesnt determine sexuality, attraction =/= sexual partner. An opening is an opening, its just that simple. So what you define as experimentation is about sexual gratification, not attraction.

Also,you do view homosexuality negatively as you put it in the same category as drugs.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:35 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Yes, they're my child.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:42 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think it was when a transsexual voiced their opinion and wanted to walk in to the girl bathroom and made a big deal about it...before then people just went were they thought they belonged and nobody really cared.
Trans =/= gay

But if this is deemed on topic, I think most of those voices were raised because those Transpeople who had lived their lives normally up until this point where then told by some state and local governments that they could no longer use the bathroom of their appearance.

there is one case from 2008( I only remember because it was an election year and people thought It would be asked about during the Democratic Debates) where a fully trans man(female to male) was changing in the gym and was kicked out when someone in the locker room saw that he had a vagina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies