Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Familiy doesn't have to be "blood". Many people in this world don't have blood family worth a damn....so they create a new "family". Yes, people need to belong...we are social creatures, why do you think the internet is full of people calling each other "fam" when they are a part of a little corner together?

The idea that you must stick with a sh**ty blood family is no longer set in stone. If your blood family is hateful, abusive, and there's no love there, you are not beholden to them.
In my post, I included friends.

My point is, you may be in a situation where no one is supportive. And the internet isnt exactly tangible in this situation. I get that you can get help online, but that doesnt always work.

Again, I agree with your post. At some point you have to live for yourself, and screw everyone else and how they feel, but it isnt as simple as ripping off a band aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 10:26 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
In my post, I included friends.

My point is, you may be in a situation where no one is supportive. And the internet isnt exactly tangible in this situation. I get that you can get help online, but that doesnt always work.

Again, I agree with your post. At some point you have to live for yourself, and screw everyone else and how they feel, but it isnt as simple as ripping off a band aid.
I never said it was easy. I've done it, trust me, I KNOW how "not easy" it is. But it was worth it. (I'm not gay, my reasons were different so I won't go in to it all because it's not the topic of this particular thread.)

Everyone does need support...if your family isn't giving that to you, find and create a family that will. It doesn't happen overnight, but I'd rather be alone and be my true self following my dreams and doing what I want to be doing than fake who I am just to appease a bunch of aholes who don't give a damn about me.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:35 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
A lot (if not most) parents are at least somewhat unsupportive, and while I understand that it takes time to adjust expectations, it's sad when relationships become strained due to a child coming out. Although some people may feel that sticking to their principles is more important, and if they love their child, maybe they feel that helping them leave the LGBT lifestyle is best.

What does everyone think here?
I have a brother who is gay.....and while he never came out and announced it, it was fairly obvious. However, my mother never wanted ro believe it and never had the heart to realize the truth. She passed on in disbelief.

I know that her disbelief is/was almost soley rooted in the supposition that homosexuality is a learned behavior instead of ingrained trait and particulization of the dna.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:38 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I got the impression from your post that your daughter is a lesbian; therefore, I went with the softball stereotype in a bid for humor.
Oh, no, lol, she sucked at sports bigtime except for horseback riding. She competed for awhile and won some ribbons.

My daughter is bisexual. She has mostly had relationships with men, and she currently has a boyfriend. She realized and told me some years ago that she found herself sometimes attracted to women and wanted to know if I would be OK if she turned out to be gay. It was sort of a rhetorical question. I have gay friends and attend a church that welcomes gay people. It's obvious to me that people are born with their sexual tendencies, and it's just not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, she has dated women. Earlier this year she was fed up with men after some negative dating experiences and was only going to date women from now on. She sent me a photo of a girl she was seeing who strangely looked a lot like her. Think there was some psychological thing going on there, hehehe. Anyway, then she met this guy she is with now, so we'll see how that goes. She's pursuing her Ph.D, so that's her main focus right now.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,571 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I never said it was easy. I've done it, trust me, I KNOW how "not easy" it is. But it was worth it. (I'm not gay, my reasons were different so I won't go in to it all because it's not the topic of this particular thread.)

Everyone does need support...if your family isn't giving that to you, find and create a family that will. It doesn't happen overnight, but I'd rather be alone and be my true self following my dreams and doing what I want to be doing than fake who I am just to appease a bunch of aholes who don't give a damn about me.
I have had a similar situation as well with my father's side of the family. I have multiple cousins my age and our school system always put us in home room by last name, so they were also my best friends in all aspects growing up. But there came a point where I began to feel used and disrespected so after I graduated high school, I cut them off.

Now none of them even know where I live. I even told my mom not to tell them I had moved out and bought a home( that secret lasted 2 years, eventually people asked why i was never home when they came to my parents). I had even been withholding my employment status until one of them called me a "bag boy" and my ego got ahead of me, and told them I have been in management since I graduated from college.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
I have a brother who is gay.....and while he never came out and announced it, it was fairly obvious. However, my mother never wanted ro believe it and never had the heart to realize the truth. She passed on in disbelief.

I know that her disbelief is/was almost soley rooted in the supposition that homosexuality is a learned behavior instead of ingrained trait and particulization of the dna.
Hopefully they still had a good relationship, even if she was in denial.

The good news is that more and more people are coming to terms with the fact that it's not a choice. I think this helps with acceptance.

I find it very sad when a parent turns away their child over their sexual orientation.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:44 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post

I know that her disbelief is/was almost soley rooted in the supposition that homosexuality is a behavior instead of ingrained trait and particulization of the dna.
It's certainly an ingrained trait but we don't know that it's genetic. Logically, the fact that it reduces reproductive fitness should have eliminated homosexuality by now if it was.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Do what you want as long as you don't initiate force on others.

I try to put my energy into not screwing up my own life. And I need all the energy I can get.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:01 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,775 times
Quote:

The good news is that more and more people are coming to terms with the fact that it's not a choice. I think this helps with acceptance.
The truly sad thing is that for most who don't understand its not a behavior, the truth can not be taught and leaned from another - instead it is internalized and understood on a completely intuitive level.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:02 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Why would I not accept my child?

To me, this is a silly question.

Yeah, me too. Nothing means more to me than my children, certainly not any political, religious or moral code against homosexuality. Honestly, I'd be disappointed, but I'd get over it and would try not to ever let my kid know I felt that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies