Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you accept your child if they came out as LGBT?
Yes, I would accept them 213 72.70%
I might have difficulty accepting them, but I will try 24 8.19%
I would accept it if they were gay or bisexual, but not if they were trans* 11 3.75%
I could not accept it 45 15.36%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:09 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times

Advertisements

personally, no.

I wouldn't disown them or anything though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 09:10 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,249 times
yea, sure.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:18 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What would I care who my fictional kid dates as long as they aren't being hurt? What is the point of this thread? Genuine curiosity, or are you fishing for something else?
Mostly curiosity. I've read a lot of stories about parents having strained relationships, if not outright rejection, when their child comes out, to the point where it almost seems like that is the default. But I also know of several people who didn't have that issue. I'm guessing that there's somewhat of a gap between the number of people who say they would accept their child's sexuality and the number of people who actually would, with the former being higher, but I think that an anonymous poll would at least make that gap narrow a bit. Plus, I'm guessing that CDP&OC is probably closer to a representative sample of people's opinions on the subject in the U.S. more than other platforms that I frequent.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:21 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,810 times
The most heartbreaking words any of my kids could say to me would be, "Dad...I think liberalism isn't a mental disorder, maybe we shouldn't execute communists on sight, and that taxation isn't theft".

"Dad I think penises are great" would be infinitely preferable to hearing the nightmare above.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:23 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Aside from having children for various reasons, the primary and instinctual reason is to carry on the genetic line. Thus your children will have grandchildren, and so on. If a parent has a kid who turns out to be homosexual, those things are out the window.
So aside from the sickening feeling a parent might get at the thought of their daughter or son engaged in homo acts, the worst part is no grand kids. That would especially be bad if they only had one kid.
First it's selfish looking for grand's! Even heterosexual couples sometime don't want kids . , but this day and age, they can have kids! Many now using a surrogate or adopting ,,, guess not enough for you .

Old 12-23-2016, 09:30 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My child is my child, God blessed me with them, and he knew who they would be, God taught me He loves unconditionally. Why would I not ? Especially my own child? I think men or dads might have a harder time? Not sure
Your child has no father?

Old 12-23-2016, 09:32 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Your child has no father?
Perhaps it is his wifes son or daughter?

Old 12-23-2016, 09:34 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
I'd be somewhat disappointed, but I recognize that humans do not choose what sex they are attracted to. It is what it is. Anyone who thinks differently does not get it.

The act is a choice, the attraction is not. We are only human.

I would support my child regardless.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
I don't have children, but I hope I'd have enough unconditional love that it wouldn't matter to me.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:37 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
A lot (if not most) parents are at least somewhat unsupportive, and while I understand that it takes time to adjust expectations, it's sad when relationships become strained due to a child coming out. Although some people may feel that sticking to their principles is more important, and if they love their child, maybe they feel that helping them leave the LGBT lifestyle is best.

What does everyone think here?
LGBT? Sure. Pick one. I don't care. Bring your partner home for Christmas!

Anything but an NFL cheerleader or a Democrat. Bring it on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies