Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 02:42 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times

Advertisements

My parents decided to try to live in anamoose ND (about an hour from Minot) for awhile....coming from Massachusetts (or taxachussets as some folk call it).

And while my parents met some lovely people there, had super cheap housing, and had taxes that were really, really low. They just could not adjust to life there. It was too slow for them and not enough activities for them. Basically it just didn't fit them. But they walked away from there with an appreciation for why others do enjoy it. It quiet, peaceful, and one can come and go as they please without being bothered by anyone.

And look. My parents don't particularly have a taste for my x-burbs/just outside the city life style either. It a tad too much action going on for them.

So there eastcoast suburbanites all the way. And I'm cool with that. Just like I cool with some one that happiest in Fargo ND., L'Anse MI, or NYC. If it work for you....fine.....just be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:45 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Progressives have not the slightest idea of what people in the other states, or even outside their own cities are doing, earning, or living. The rest of the country is nothing but a vague formless shadow to them.

Liberals don't know and don't care what married couples in the Dakotas are earning. It's never occurred to them that there are married couples in the Dakotas.
This is a convenient lie used to create the partison hatred that is pitting average Americans against each other. Pitting us against each other accomplishes nothing but handing all the cotrol over the wealthy politicians and their corporate lobbyists. They want nothing more than to keep Americans fighting with each other instead of demanding they work for us.

I'm too intelligent to vote liberal on every issue and I'm hugely critical of the vast majority of politicans on both sides but in many cases I side left. I live in CA and love it here but I do care, think about and want everyone living in my country, the United States to have living wage jobs, health insurance, nice homes, and proper social security/medicare when they can no longer work.

Posters like this are a huge part of the problem. Lets stop the partison hate, stand together despite our differences and DEMAND that our politicians work for us.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Wondering if San Francisco and Los Angeles liberals are bothered that a married couple lives a much better life answering phones for a call-center in Fargo then they do on $150,000 a year in Los Angeles or San Francisco.
Not really, no.

I am a Los Angelino who happily pays a premium to not live in a place like North Dakota.

It is undesirable land no one wants. That is why it is cheap.

There are always going to be traffic jams, crime, noise, and irritating things about civilization. But if it is a choice between waiting in traffic because there is something to actually go do, or living in ND, I'm choosing the former.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:52 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
This is a convenient lie used to create the partison hatred that is pitting average Americans against each other. Pitting us against each other accomplishes nothing but handing all the cotrol over the wealthy politicians and their corporate lobbyists. They want nothing more than to keep Americans fighting with each other instead of demanding they work for us.

I'm too intelligent to vote liberal on every issue and I'm hugely critical of the vast majority of politicans on both sides but in many cases I side left. I live in CA and love it here but I do care, think about and want everyone living in my country, the United States to have living wage jobs, health insurance, nice homes, and proper social security/medicare when they can no longer work.

Posters like this are a huge part of the problem. Lets stop the partison hate, stand together despite our differences and DEMAND that our politicians work for us.
Well put.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Progressives have not the slightest idea of what people in the other states, or even outside their own cities are doing, earning, or living. The rest of the country is nothing but a vague formless shadow to them.

Liberals don't know and don't care what married couples in the Dakotas are earning. It's never occurred to them that there are married couples in the Dakotas.
Where do you get these odd notions?

There are a lot of progressives all over the country who know and care about their neighbors, even the ones who aren't just like them.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
But they aren't flocking to the most coasts especially not the colder areas. They are flocking to middle American places like texas and North carolina. Places like New jersey and Connecticut has big pharma presences and they are losing people in droves

Forbes Welcome
Texas borders the Gulf and North Carolina is quite plainly on the eastern seaboard.

If they have to worry about hurricanes, they are not actually "middle America". They're coastal America

Old 01-03-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Not really, no.

I am a Los Angelino who happily pays a premium to not live in a place like North Dakota.

It is undesirable land no one wants. That is why it is cheap.

There are always going to be traffic jams, crime, noise, and irritating things about civilization. But if it is a choice between waiting in traffic because there is something to actually go do, or living in ND, I'm choosing the former.
The title of this thread is ridiculous.

For some, living in North Dakota, married to man who was satisfied answering phones for the rest of his natural life would be a nightmare, not a dream come true.

For others, Minot is a little slice of paradise.

Each to their own.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-03-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
NC voted for Obama and is no where near a guaranteed GOP stronghold anymore.
Gerrymandering, purging voter roles, voter suppression, etc. and NC ended up with a Republican governor and legislature, who then proceeded to muck around passing unconstitutional laws that got smacked down in court. Currently, in court over that ridiculous HB2 bathroom bill that not only made the state look like a bunch of morons, but cost a bunch of business. Virginia paper endorsed McCrory and thanked him for sending so business their way.

IT people report that it has become close to impossible to recruit any top people to come to work in NC.

Thanks to the Republican efforts over the years in undermining honest elections, North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy.

"EIP gave North Carolina an electoral integrity score of 58 out of 100 points—similar to the scores of Cuba, Sierra Leone and Indonesia..."

North Carolina is no longer a democracy, report says | The Independent

Sigh.

NC has been court ordered to hold elections for 28 seats this fall after federal judges determined that the “racial gerrymander” of state legislative districts was unconstitutional

Federal court orders North Carolina special elections after finding “racial gerrymander” of state legislative districts unconstitutional - Salon.com

Good news is that the new governor is Roy Cooper is a Democrat and he looks to be a stand up guy.

Nonetheless, I would still chose living in North Carolina over North Dakota.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-03-2017 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 03:30 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
ILet's be real here there's no comparison in things to to between even a moderately large metro like the Milwaukee metro and being in either of the Dakotas... I may have it good here in south Dakota but there's nothing to do... Life is full of tradeoffs and I get by with fast internet alone fine but its not for everyone.

Being near Sioux falls is alright but I would not want to I've up by Fargo.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:35 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
I like living on Long Island, we have 4 seasons a year each with their own beauty. We have excellent schools. We have a very low crime rate. Beats living in East Tumbleweed, North Dakota with a population smaller than my neighborhood. How far do I have go to for something as simple as Taco Bell, or Panera, or a good slice of pizza (do they even have real pizza in North Dakota?)? But hey, to each their own ... everyone has their own preferences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies