Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:46 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

quote=SuperOscar;46725474]I wouldn't call it a huge tax, though if that tax is too much for you, then it might be in your best interest to skip the sugary drink because you clearly can't afford it. Also, when people in this country suffer from diabetes and obesity, you end up having to pay for that too. Paying for people to be healthy is much, much cheaper in the long run.

Probably the same reason why we don't make tobacco illegal and throw people in jail for it.....granted we still have marijuana be illegal and people getting thrown in jail over it....so we obviously don't have a perfect system right now. But a tax on sugary drinks is realistic, throwing people in jail over sugary drinks seems absurd.[/quote]Too much of anything will kill you. So tax everything. I get taxed because I take care of myself. Seems fair. About as fair as throwing someone in jail for ingesting a natural product like sugar or marijuana.
Sugar should be reclassified as a schedule one Controlled Substance too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Not that I would want them to, but has the government gotten involved in the amount of stress and number of hours people work, leading to high blood pressure, heart attacks and cancer?

No. There's no money to be made on that.

Let's not pretend this is about education, because there's enough information available that you'd have to be really stupid not to know that sugar is bad for you. Knowing it causes cancer hasn't dried up the pool of smokers, proving people just don't care.

And it's not about concern about our health. This is nothing but a fundraiser. Period.

I call BS. Cigarette smoking is at an all time low because it got expensive, and because there was a strong effort to educate people into the associated risks with smoking.

Am I a fan of taxing foods with added sugar? Not particularly, but I'm also not fond of for-profit businesses hijacking our government to bar good research into the real risks that come with consuming too much sugar. Maybe a tax is what it will take to get people to wake up.

Most people are so blinded by their anti-government stance that they don't realize we've been played for decades by the Sugar Association like good little consumers gobbling up their product. You should at least solicit compensation from the Sugar Lobby for fighting on their behalf.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:34 PM

979 posts, read 491,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Too much of anything will kill you. So tax everything. I get taxed because I take care of myself. Seems fair. About as fair as throwing someone in jail for ingesting a natural product like sugar or marijuana.
Sugar should be reclassified as a schedule one Controlled Substance too.
Your state already has a sales tax, so you already pay taxes on everything you buy. Seriously, it seems like some people can literally find anything to whine about.

This idea that people should be jailed for anything other than serious crimes is just laughable and shouldn't even be a part of this discussion.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I call BS. Cigarette smoking is at an all time low because it got expensive, and because there was a strong effort to educate people into the associated risks with smoking.

Am I a fan of taxing foods with added sugar? Not particularly, but I'm also not fond of for-profit businesses hijacking our government to bar good research into the real risks that come with consuming too much sugar. Maybe a tax is what it will take to get people to wake up.

Most people are so blinded by their anti-government stance that they don't realize we've been played for decades by the Sugar Association like good little consumers gobbling up their product. You should at least solicit compensation from the Sugar Lobby for fighting on their behalf.
Actually the Sugar Lobby acts to keep prices artificially high which lowers demand.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:44 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually the Sugar Lobby acts to keep prices artificially high which lowers demand.
Yeah, I'm sure it's because they're worried about public health and don't want to make money.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I love it. I hope more liberal cities pull this crap.

What would that accomplish?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
They too would pay the same tax when buying a sugary drink in Philly. Though someone who can control themselves probably doesn't bother to drink soda to begin with.
The poster I was responding to, implied that if one could control oneself, then they wouldn't need to someone to do it for them.

They might have actually meant "regardless of whether you can or can't control yourself, maybe someone else should do it for you"

Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrats pass new Beverage tax in Philly. It's a social engineering attempt to force people to stop drinking beverages sweetened with sugar.

I'm guessing the end result will be a lot of furious fat & skinny people. No wonder PA is turning Red.
“When I read the receipt I’m like, ‘Wait a minute. I paid more in tax than I did for the product,'” Andrews said.
The tax on the $1.77 gallon of tea was $1.92 cents.
Masses Shocked By Philly Beverage Tax Impact | Zero Hedge
a sin tax is a sin tax regardless of who proposes it.

Ill take you seriously when you start attacking Red States

Sin Tax Revenues by State

Sin Tax in California only accounts for .9 of Revenue. 1.2 Billion dollars

in Texas its 4.6% and 2.5 billion

n Mike Pence's Indiana 6.8% and 1.15

Florida its 2.9 of revenue and 1.02 billion as well.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Yeah, I'm sure it's because they're worried about public health and don't want to make money.

They could care less about public health but by imposing tariffs on competition they can increase profit while selling less sugar. Result: a healthier America.

If you do not want to eat sugar..don't eat it. Do you need Daddy and Mommy government to control what you eat just like ya a 6 year old?

If you are going to tax though sin taxes are closer to user fees than most other taxes.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
in Texas its 4.6% and 2.5 billion
That is why that ho charged me $20.92 instead of $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies