Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:52 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
It is better than diabetes promoting. It would do Americans a lot of good if they all gave up drinking sugary drinks. They would all probably lose a good portion of their waist size.
Right. The 2 for 5 Big Macs and a super size fry have nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 08:55 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,000 times
Just another way to tax. No ulterior motives other than greed.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 PM

979 posts, read 490,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
All true but we don't need big brother telling us what we can eat/drink.
Sure, we all can agree with that, but that doesn't mean we should be ignorant to knowledge. The more people know and understand the negative effects of sugary drinks before becoming obese and having diabetes, the better. It would be a big brother thing if the government banned sugary drinks, but a tax and increasing the education about it is perfectly fine in my book.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Don't give them any ideas.

Was watching this on tonights news and they said sales were way down. They showed a 2 liter bottle of soda which sold for $1.35 but the beverage tax was $1.57 + the sales tax. They filmed one guy walking out waving his sales receipt saying he just returned his purchase after realizing he paid more in taxes than the actual product. They also said that a lot people are going outside of Philly and buying their products now to avoid paying these ridiculous tax. I love how libs blame everyone else for losing this election then turn around and pull a bone head move like this. And they still can't figure out why jobs are coming back now that Trumps going to be President.

All true but we don't need big brother telling us what we can eat/drink.
Did anybody complain when they said this?

Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Right. The 2 for 5 Big Macs and a super size fry have nothing to do with it.
That also is a bad thing, we live in a culture where it is easier to become obese and have diabetes than it is to be healthy and fit. I wonder what the reasoning is for to make so many Americans to be obese and have poor health....

Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Sure, we all can agree with that, but that doesn't mean we should be ignorant to knowledge. The more people know and understand the negative effects of sugary drinks before becoming obese and having diabetes, the better. It would be a big brother thing if the government banned sugary drinks, but a tax and increasing the education about it is perfectly fine in my book.
I think folks already know soda isn't healthy and have discovered that fact on their own and without a tax

Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think folks already know soda isn't healthy and have discovered that fact on their own and without a tax
Sure, they have, that is because they have diabetes and are over weight, that is the easy way to discover the negative effects of sugary drinks. Having the tax on it is no different than any other tax on things like tobacco and alcohol. If anything, that tax money could be used to pay for healthcare since those that are buying those drinks are on their way to serious health issues.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:18 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Sure, they have, that is because they have diabetes and are over weight, that is the easy way to discover the negative effects of sugary drinks. Having the tax on it is no different than any other tax on things like tobacco and alcohol. If anything, that tax money could be used to pay for healthcare since those that are buying those drinks are on their way to serious health issues.
So you agree the tax isn't to educate but rather to punish and enrich the coffers of politicians

Old 01-04-2017, 09:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Not that I would want them to, but has the government gotten involved in the amount of stress and number of hours people work, leading to high blood pressure, heart attacks and cancer?

No. There's no money to be made on that.

Let's not pretend this is about education, because there's enough information available that you'd have to be really stupid not to know that sugar is bad for you. Knowing it causes cancer hasn't dried up the pool of smokers, proving people just don't care.

And it's not about concern about our health. This is nothing but a fundraiser. Period.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Again this is the parents responsibility to teach their kids this stuff not the Gov. I knew at a very long age that soda,twinkies and all weren't good for you. Sure I ate/drank them but in moderation and haven't drank soda or ate twinkies in years. I drink water all the time,well some beers on the weekends too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies