Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:40 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Democrats pass new Beverage tax in Philly. It's a social engineering attempt to force people to stop drinking beverages sweetened with sugar.

I'm guessing the end result will be a lot of furious fat & skinny people. No wonder PA is turning Red.
“When I read the receipt I’m like, ‘Wait a minute. I paid more in tax than I did for the product,'” Andrews said.
The tax on the $1.77 gallon of tea was $1.92 cents.
Masses Shocked By Philly Beverage Tax Impact | Zero Hedge
The easy option is to buy tea w/o sugar, of course. I didn't know you could buy a gallon of tea with sugar. What's the point of drinking tea if it has sugar in it? Tea is for health, IMO.

I think it's stupid to tax particular kinds of food, but there's such an easy way not to pay the tax, that it's not that big a deal. If you really want sugar in it, buy a pack of sugar and add the sugar at home. Better yet, use an artificial sweetener.

One good thing about it, though, is that it will make people realize just how much sugar they're drinking. Most don't give it a second thought, I'm sure. There are few foods more damaging than sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Well if the end goal is health, just ban soft drinks. Oh wait greedy politicians wouldnt get their cut if they did that.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
I get water 100% of the time. Who needs all those useless sugary calories?
In that case, you are literally killing the children. Their health care depends on it.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Who cares, soda is dumb. The Sugar Lobby has been playing us for fools for decades. They turn you against the government and profit. But go ahead, drink up that soda, just don't bother to complain about healthcare costs.
You don't get it. They WANT the tax money but here you are thinking the plan is to stop people from buying sugary drinks.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
It'll just make Philadelphians poorer, and fat bureaucrats fatter.

The sugar/high fructose corn syrup addiction is a strong one. Just like the tax on gasoline, and cigarettes, the taxman has a great revenue stream going there.

While some used to having their sugary drinks will give them up. Most will not.

CN

If they could tax every breath you took, they would!

Old 01-04-2017, 07:42 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,968,610 times
I realize there aren't many people alive today who remember Prohibition, but I remember reading about products on the store shelves that had a warning prominently displayed on the label that one should NOT mix this product with malted barley, brewers yeast, water, etc. (in short, a recipe for beer), and leave it sit in a warm place for a week, because it would result in an illegal beverage known as "Beer".
My mother told me about a similar product that had a wine recipe on the label.
The point is, I wonder how long it will be before there are unsweetened flavoring concentrates for sale in Philly, from major corporations like Coca Cola and Pepsico. Just add your own fizzy water and sugar, and make your own untaxed soft drinks!
Of course, making root beer is easy:
Homemade Root Beer Recipe ? Nourished Kitchen
It can also be made with commercially available root beer mixes, just follow the instructions on the package.
7-UP: fizzy water, lemon juice, lime juice, and sugar. Mix to taste.
Orange crush: fizzy water, orange juice, sugar to taste.
Grape crush: fizzy water, concord grape juice, and sugar to taste. Or, to be different, use white grape juice!

Yessir, I anticipate a huge make-your-own-untaxed soda pop business in towns where they try this tax.
I also don't think the state will make anywhere near the money they expect to with the tax. The sugar and caffeine in soft drinks isn't anywhere near as addictive as the nicotine in tobacco. People can, and will, live without it!
Personally, I did it with tobacco taxes (the State tacked on a $1 per pack tax on cigarettes, and I quit when the tax went into effect!), and I would gladly do it with sugared drink taxes.
Yes, I refused to support the Children's Health Insurance Program. That is (supposedly) what the $1 per pack tax was for.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 PM

979 posts, read 490,425 times
It isn't much different than a tax on tobacco and alcohol. Though it would be nice if more Americans gave up sugary drinks, that has been one of the best things I have done in my life, and I plan on raising my daughter to not drink sugary drinks. It is an addiction that millions of Americans suffer from, and it is obvious by the waist size of many Americans.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 PM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Maybe they will start puting pictures of emaciated children with rotted teeth on soda containers.
"It's for the kids" said many a greedy pocket lining politician

Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,031 times
A soda tax in Philadelphia is like the homely girl at the prom offering dances for money.

Philadelphia is lucky to keep what residents that it has. Charging extra tax for items like soda probably means that when its democrat government junta observes actual desirable cities they think "that's us too" because they fancy themselves to be progressive.

That's not "you too" Philadelphia. You're basically being asked to be dis-invited to the dance altogether with nonsense like this.

If you need more tax, then lower your crime rate at any cost and then look forward to collecting more property tax in the future. That's the social contract of municipal funding. Cheating to get around this contract makes you look like a bunch of incompetents who shouldn't be running a first world major city, especially on the East Coast.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 PM

979 posts, read 490,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe they will start puting pictures of emaciated children with rotted teeth on soda containers.
"It's for the kids" said many a greedy pocket lining politician
They should at least have to do commercials with people who are over weight and suffering from diabetes, that way they would at least be honest when showing how much people love drinking soda because it isn't the fit healthy people they try to make you think that are drinking it.

Maybe it would be a good idea to teach Americans how diabetes happens before they actually get diabetes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies