Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And when the cost of Mexican Coke goes up, that provides incentives for either Coke or someone else to produce and sell a similar product made here in the US. I dont see a problem with this, do you?

That is SNAP and not the other programs such as the EBT cards.

If we provide free food, it should be the basics and not treats.
There is no longer actual "food stamps", SNAP benefits go on your EBT account, "free" food might be something like government cheese or other programs that distribute USDA surplus. Because nobody monitors how EBT funds are used, the program has all too many abuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sugar is part of the obesity in our country. If you can't control yourself then maybe someone else should do it for you. Sorry, many are tired of paying your healthcare because you choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle. Our rates go up because of people like you
And you actually think these tax revenues are going to go towards alleviating the medical costs associated with poor lifestyle choices? The politicians don't care about public health, it's just another way to justify another tax.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Thanks for the explanation. In comparison I saw a house for sale in Madison WI that was not much over 100k in cost but the property taxes were 5k a year so it makes sense.

Frankly, it seems like the low property\high wage taxes would disproportionately benefit the rich whom could easily own property in Philly but have residency elsewhere.
Yeah most of these taxes seem to hurt the poor. Someone with more means can travel to the suburbs or NJ to avoid the soda cig (even gas in NJ) taxes. Someone that owns a home gets breaks in the property tax and tax deductions. But if you rent and rely on public transit? Ehh, I'd be even more upset.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Me either; I drink water or coffee. Don't care about a soda tax.
And I just drink water and don't even live in Chicago where these are taxed, but I do care that our government is sticking its nose in and taxing more items just because they cannot limit their spending.

All people will do is forego their sugar fix with candy or some other sweet. This isn't about health at all.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:45 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
People have no right to complain. They allow this form of discriminatory tax on other products, if they are surprised over this, then they are idiots or hypocrites.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
People have no right to complain. They allow this form of discriminatory tax on other products, if they are surprised over this, then they are idiots or hypocrites.
Hey, us smokers were warning everyone that that was just the start. Nobody wanted to listen...

Old 01-05-2017, 08:57 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Okay, so you don't like taxes, and I have no problem with taxing things like sugary drinks. It looks like our opinions are at an impasse. I don't consider a tax to be a punishment, so I don't see this as being a punishment on people who drink sugary drinks.
So I'm a healthy adult who rarely drinks soda. But when I do now I get hit with a huge tax in order to help me be healthy? I already am. Why in the world do I have to pay for others?
Why don't we just make it illegal and throw people in jail who drink it.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yeah. Foodstamps should be limited to sustenance items.
People will sell them for less than face value to get what they want. This is what Americans do, we don't like people telling us what we can or cannot buy. Prohibition taught us that.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:02 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
https://www.amazon.com/Fizzies-Candy.../dp/B000Q6K3DC

Old 01-05-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
When will politicians realize that this is not a fat/skinny problem, but a culture problem?

These same drinks are sold in plenty of other countries, yet they don't have the same obesity problems we have here in the US.

Poor people are usually fat because it costs less to buy prepackaged preserved food than it does fresh vegetables and healthy items. How much does a box of rice-a-roni and a pound of cheap beef cost? A few dollars maybe, but certainly a lot less than fish with couscous and a freshly made salad.
Of course plenty of other countries have problems with obesity. We're 12th.

29 Most Obese Countries In The World - WorldAtlas.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies