Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 06:11 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
BCBS is the only carrier in the entire state.
NC didn't sign on for ACA, so people had to get on the federal exchange. You had to earn at least $11K/year to be eligible as I understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:18 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times
Fake news. Trump is great. He will make our country great again.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:28 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,814,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thanks.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing here, because this doesn't make any sense.

Even you get your $1,500 in taxes back, no one making $24K/year can afford health insurance,.

We'll be back to people showing up at the ER for medical care and long-ignored medical problems turning in monthly disability checks.
Even if someone making lower income is full of integrity and pays for medical care out of pocket following the tax code, that person would still not be able to afford the ridiculously high deductibles.

As much as I am all for capitalism, it fails in certain areas and affordable healthcare is one of them and government ought to kick all the insurance companies out and take over.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Here's more good news for the GOP as they go forward with their plan to repeal Obamacare:

"Up to 3 million jobs in the health sector and other areas would be lost if certain key provisions of the Affordable Care Act are repealed by Congress, a new report said Thursday.

At the same time, ending those provisions could lead to a whopping $1.5 trillion reduction in gross state product from 2019 through 2023, according to the study."

Obamacare repeal costs: 3 million lost jobs

Own it, Donald!

Old 01-05-2017, 06:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It would basically cause a large drop in life expectancy in America as huge numbers of disabled people and others with severe diseases die a slow painful death after running out of money.

Truly a vicious way for the puppets of the donor class in Congress to pay for the gifts given to the billionaire class.
It's not a good plan, it's not what is needed but it's not going to cause a large drop in life expectancy.

This kind of rhetoric does NOT help. People are tired of people crying wolf.

What this is, is maybe slightly better than how things were before Obamacare. We didn't have people kicking off at increasingly lower ages.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
I want to say "I told you so" to Trump voters, because we did in fact tell them so.

My understanding is that they are unable to hear us due to neglected medical issues.

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Here's more good news for the GOP as they go forward with their plan to repeal Obamacare:

"Up to 3 million jobs in the health sector and other areas would be lost if certain key provisions of the Affordable Care Act are repealed by Congress, a new report said Thursday.

At the same time, ending those provisions could lead to a whopping $1.5 trillion reduction in gross state product from 2019 through 2023, according to the study."

Obamacare repeal costs: 3 million lost jobs

Own it, Donald!
We shouldn't be subsidizing insurance companies. If we did the right thing, far more would lose their insurance job.

Would that not be OK? I thought that was the argument? UHC cutting out the middleman.

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I'll never understand why the cons have such a hard on over the idea that selling insurance across state lines will somehow magically make a lot of costs go away.
Insurance is the purview of the State and any insurance company must comply with the insurance laws of that State, so, no, it won't create any competition and will not drive down the price of health plan coverage.

What will drive down the price of health plan coverage is eliminating hospital cartels and monopolies, and reducing the number of insurance regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yeah, I am NOT thrilled with either.

Truth be told I would like France's system, which has competition of hospitals within a national system.
French employees pay a payroll tax of 0.75%, while their employer pays a tax of 13.10% for a total of 13.
85%.

There are special systems for agricultural, mining, railroad, public utility, and public-sector employees; clergy; merchant marines; non-agricultural self-employed persons; and agricultural self-employed persons.

There are no subsidies for employers or employees, meaning the 0.75% you pay is not tax-exempt.

An additional 12% surcharge on automobile insurance premiums, and an earmarked tax of 6.3% on the costs of pharmaceutical advertising, alcohol, and tobacco, to help pay for the costs.

The French heavily ration their healthcare, but still have cost issues.

RATIONING HEALTH CARE IN EUROPE – FRANCE

http://www.rees-france.com/en/IMG/pd...ope_France.pdf

Quote:
2.2.6 What health expenditure should be limited or increased?

The survey brings out a sentiment of restriction in terms of health care. 62% of the people
questioned reported that they felt the effects of such restrictions whereas 28% did not. This effect related both to access to certain care and access to certain drugs.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:38 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We shouldn't be subsidizing insurance companies. If we did the right thing, far more would lose their insurance job.

Would that not be OK? I thought that was the argument? UHC cutting out the middleman.
I'm all in on UHC. But the Republicans who run things now are clearly not going there. Repeal is the name of their game and it is going to have profound economic and political costs for them if they go through with it. They can repeal without the Dems, but replace will be impossible. Don't expect much help from Schumer unless the plan is something more UHC-like. Who knows, though? GOP passed Medicare Part D under considerable pressure from rising drug costs. Wouldn't it be the sweetest irony if they ended up replacing Obamacare with UHC?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,712 times
When will the morons in both parties finally admit that a single payer system with an independent, private insurance system running simultaneously alongside it (akin to places like Australia) is the best/ only real solution to the s***show that is the US healthcare system.

Obamacare stinks and so do all of the proposed Republican options I've seen discussed so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies