Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Your response had me scroll up to re-read the title of the thread.
LOL, I've had to do that more than once.

Quote:
Universal Socialized Medicine, where all of a sudden anyone is entitled to be on Medicare, was unfair to everyone, and was never the intent of lawmakers.
It was disruptive and jammed the always quoted 20-million people that now have healthcare into a program that was intended solely for citizens 65 and older.
How can something that never happened affect people this way?

Quote:
Obama kicked me off my employer's health care, then took my tax money and shifted it to mostly indigent that of course wanted the government aid.
Yes, Obamacare helped Trump win but that isn't what was called for. Obamacare is far from single payer. Obamacare was little more than a couple bones thrown to people to give the insurance and pharmaceutical companies huge tax payer funded subsidies.

Quote:
Now as far as the title of the thread; those with pre-existing health issues should and will pay a slightly higher premium.
It only makes sense like any other type of insurance.
My lot in Louisiana has a pre-existing elevation above sea level. I pay extra for it.
I'm not against this idea being inserted into the single payer discussion. I'm just waiting for that discussion to start.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:09 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
To be accurate the "scam" is not an insurance scam but a provider rip-off. The insurance company just negotiated a better deal for you which you should be glad of. The rip off is that the provider can discriminate and charge more to people with no insurance. WTF? The ones being scammed here are the ones without insurance, which isn't right.

IMO, healthcare providers need to pick a price they are going to charge and once chosen, that is the price everyone pays, insured or not. And they must publish their prices so we the consumer can know what it will cost us. Eliminate insurance negotiated rates and let free-market choice be used for consumers to pick the provider they want to go to based on published price. That will lower costs.
I agree. It should be same price for everyone and listed. Frankly, I wish doctors had a an hourly rate listed for themselves and their associated employees. You want your doctor to take unlimited time with you? No problem, just pay for it. There have been times when I was willing to pay that extra money.

Plus, I really think people need to be aware what things cost.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:19 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
So others should be forced to pay more for you. Makes sense with an it's only fair what about the children authoritarian mindset.
First of all, it's not necessary to pay more. In Israel we have MUCH better health system and pay much less than in USA if we calculate premiums/deductible/coinsurance and taxes. Western Europe is the same (How do I know? I lived there and can compare).

Also, even if others will pay more, that's how society works.
8 years ago, when I was single with no kids, I had an argument with a libertarian who had 3 teen daughters.
And after his rant about "why do I need to pay for all of those sick people", I asked him, why do I, a single 33 years old guy, need to pay more than him (I had no dependents at that time) for the police, while he (with his teen girls, MILF wife, his expensive coins collection) needs the police much more than me?
And now I can tell why: Because now I have little kids and an expensive banknotes collection, and some younger single guy is paying for the police also. That's how society works.

If you want to live in a libertarian dream, you can buy a ticket to Mogadishu.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:16 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
FIf you want to live in a libertarian dream, you can buy a ticket to Mogadishu.
Thank you. You gave the quintessential answer to the libertarian rubes on this forum.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:05 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,292,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Thank you. You gave the quintessential answer to the libertarian rubes on this forum.
Not really. Just more statist nonsense.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't like Obamacare because most of it is putting lipsticks on a pig.

We can't solve the health care problem without talking about tort report, reducing FDA regulations and introducing foreign investment for more competitions.

Personally, I'd favor a high deductible plan. $5000 or even $10000 out of pocket a year. Insurance shouldn't pay a penny until that deducible is met - no copay, no free immunization, no coverage on pregnancy, none.
Thalidomide, anyone?

Nayyy... That is a terrible idea.

People think they hate big pharma now...

Old 01-15-2017, 04:08 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
I don't like Obamacare because most of it is putting lipsticks on a pig.

We can't solve the health care problem without talking about tort report, reducing FDA regulations and introducing foreign investment for more competitions.

Personally, I'd favor a high deductible plan. $5000 or even $10000 out of pocket a year. Insurance shouldn't pay a penny until that deducible is met - no copay, no free immunization, no coverage on pregnancy, none.
I'd agree but MOST people CAN'T afford those kinds of deductibles. I def can't.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:12 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
Just TRUST the Republicans who had 7 years to solve this problem. They have all the answers. When they finish with ACA they will start on Medicare and Medicaid. Good voting folks....

Old 01-15-2017, 04:12 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
I don't like Obamacare but what's a good solution for people with pre-existing conditions?

The employment based health care sucks too - if I were to become unemployed, I'd lose my health care.
The Republican solution is (drum roll, please): a tax credit!!!

Not even a deduction, but a credit.

Basically, the GOP doesn't care. Too bad that you don't have a govt job with awesome health insurance.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'd agree but MOST people CAN'T afford those kinds of deductibles. I def can't.
And yet, you'd agree.

Wow. Just wow.

Didn't you vote for Trump?

Why don't you wait for that "beautiful and terrific" replacement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies