Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:43 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Minority babies outnumbered white babies being born last year. With Trump's victory, can we expect to see a sudden rise in the white birth rate over the next several years? Trump has brought a new level of optimism and hopefulness which his supporters say the country has been missing ever since Reagan. Will Trump's economic successes over the next few years lead to a boom in the white birth rate which declined during the economic hardships of Obama's Great Recession?
You're assuming Trump is going to make the country economically prosperous; an assumption you shouldn't be making. And even if he does, is Trump going to pay to support these white children? Since the answer is a resounding no, I don't see any population explosions occurring here.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, the most ludicrous idea is that anyone - especially women - thinks about Trump when they're thinking about getting it on with someone.
Are you kidding? Let's be honest many women would love to have the opportunity to date a billionaire.
Money is a huge turn on for women .

Trump has had women throwing themselves at him and likely still does even though he is married .

Old 01-18-2017, 02:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The women I know either don't plan to have children at all, or want only one, possibly two.

The whole daycare/nanny business is just too difficult to juggle for very long.

If you live close to the poverty line, you may not see the difference financially in having four or so kids, but if you are sending kids to college, graduate school, paying for weddings. Yowza!

In Japan, more people are dying than having children and 25% of the population is over 65.

In the U.S.

Fewer Women Are Having Babies Than Ever Before - The Atlantic
I was having a semi-joking conversation with some colleagues. It is basically logistically impossible to have more than 2 kids any more.

1. All kids need to be in car seats till they are 5. So if you have 3 kids under 5 what car choices do you have?
2. If you have a 3+ kid stroller - how can you leave home? Those strollers are so huge, they don't fit on the sidewalk. Here in the older parts of the bay area, many stores and restaurants are crammed to the hilt. There is barely room for a person to walk by. Where would a stroller go?
3. Most people I know are in my demographic: fairly well paid professionals who eat out a lot. This doesn't seem to stop when people become parents. And well many restaurants around here (in the older cities) barely have tables for parties of 4. How would they accommodate a family of 5+?
4. This is a San Francisco (and some urban areas) problem. SF has a lottery system for schools. And there is no guarantee all of your kids would go to the same school, or even a school in your neighborhood. So let's say you have 2 elementary schoolers and a middle schooler. What if they were stationed all over the city for school. How on earth would you get them there on time! Yikes!
5. After-school activities. How on earth could you deal with 3 kids worth? My mom was a mostly stay at home one, and it was hard enough to deal with my sister and i. And we weren't over scheduled like today's kids. We just did the same stuff. :P And the stuff that wasn't the same was in walking distance.
6. Family sized housing: so the bay area really doesn't build a lot of 3 bedroom places. And now don't all kids get their own rooms? 4 bedroom housing is a rare thing here - at any price point! Where would you live?

It sounds really complicated to me - even if you had unlimited money.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Are you kidding? Let's be honest many women would love to have the opportunity to date a billionaire.

Trump has had women throwing themselves at him and likely still does even though he is married .
That gold digger stereotype can never be retired can it.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM

I know a couple that has 5 kids they are in their mid 20s . Not wealthy .
I don't get it . I believe they are likely on some type of assistance although the husband works .
I don't think it's right for the taxpayers to be paying for so many kids like that .
Meanwhile middle class couples are holding off having kids .

Old 01-18-2017, 02:51 PM

305 posts, read 180,103 times
My whole life I grew up hearing the adults around me griping about people having kids they couldn't afford. And yet, these are the same people telling me how terrible and selfish I am for making my daughter an only child... you can't have it both ways!

So no, the birth-rate will go up if access to affordable birth control is taken away, and it will be every ethnicity.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That gold digger stereotype can never be retired can it.

That's why I said many women not every woman .

Why do so many women say they want to marry a doctor or lawyer ?
I guess they must love talking medicine or medical terms or legal cases right ?

It's because they know both are high paying stable professions .

Of course a billionaire is even better but much rarer . If a woman could meet a billionaire they'll take them over a doctor or lawyer anyday!

Most aren't going to announce they are looking for a billionaire though . Lots will say they want to marry a doctor or lawyer though .

Old 01-18-2017, 02:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Really? People think about who's president when they're deciding to have children? Men and women whisper "darling, trump's president, let's make a baby"?

While I'm sure you're right that money is a big turn-on for some women, I can tell you that it is a really huge turn-off for many other women who've ever run across a man who thinks she is for sale. And that's before we get to how physically unappealing he is.

I'd rather make my own money than crawl into the sheets with that.

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-18-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, the most ludicrous idea is that anyone - especially women - thinks about Trump when they're thinking about getting it on with someone.
That would certainly put a person out the mood.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:07 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
So I guess the answer is no.

If we want to up the number of babies, we better leave some gaps in Trump's wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies