Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 06:40 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,394,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There's a lot of hate and ignorance thrown around on this forum in general. No news here and no reason to imagine this thread would be any different.
When it comes to disabled children, I'd like to think people on either side of the aisle wouldn't stoop so low as to insult them and their families and say they are a drain on society. I really had high hopes and held others here in high esteem in regards to disabled children. Its absolutely disgusting how some people have spoken about these kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I have some on this thread on ignore, so I don't see all the responses. But I haven't seen any posts about how children with disabilities don't count and aren't worthy of public funds.

What I have seen are post about how children with disabilities are getting a disproportionate share of teaching resources and this has an impact on the education of all the children.
They are not getting a disproportionate share. They are getting the share they need in order to get the free, adequate, public education to which they are entitled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:41 AM

17,411 posts, read 12,023,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Hearing Betty DeVos, the new Education secretary and a woman who is a die hard Mad Max social darwinist, talk about how disabled children shouldnt get federal protection is very troublesome.

Do you support the idea of disabled children being left to the mercy of the states so states can chase out families with disabled children because they use too much taxpayer money?
Education never should have been put under the federal government. Period.

There is no way a bureaucrat in DC could possibly know the educational needs of a student in New York City versus a student in Gallup, NM. Education should be as local as possible. And without the bloated federal agency that must be paid, there would be so much more money available to the different school districts.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Education never should have been put under the federal government. Period.

There is no way a bureaucrat in DC could possibly know the educational needs of a student in New York City versus a student in Gallup, NM. Education should be as local as possible. And without the bloated federal agency that must be paid, there would be so much more money available to the different school districts.
I tend to agree that education should be decided at the state level but I do think we need federal funding to keep our schools running. In my area, the tax base continually shrinks. I don't know what our schools would do without federal funding. But there must be a compromise between states and feds when it comes to education decisions.

Unfortunately, we need federal mandates to assure all children have access to a free, public education. I say unfortunately because, as evidenced on this thread, there are many Americans who would happily wash their hands of those children with disabilities as ineducable.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:50 AM

89,513 posts, read 45,170,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
They are not getting a disproportionate share.
Yes, they are.
Quote:
They are getting the share they need in order to get the free, adequate, public education to which they are entitled.
What about the other students? Their programs and services are cut to cater to the disabled students. Their classrooms are disrupted while teachers, aides, principals, social workers, etc., cater to the needs of the disabled students. And, as I've already explained, some of those students can be very violent in the classroom.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:51 AM

51,697 posts, read 25,982,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you understand how education works for someone with disabilities?

A lot of the therapies these children receive in school are NOT paid for with public school money. They are paid for either through private insurance or medical assistance depending on the state. So, yes, tax payer money is used -- either way -- but its not public school funds from which the money is spent.

Instead of asking to remove disabled children from classrooms where they are entitled to be, perhaps you should be asking why teachers don't have assistants? You might also want to know that many of the therapies and assistance disabled children receive comes from other people besides the teacher through therapists, TSS workers, etc.
I don't understand everything I want to, but I do understand much of how services for children with special needs are funded in several states.

While private insurance and Medicaid may pay for some special assistance for certain students, usually specific assistive devices, the majority of services and support are funded through the school district. Even the nursing support that an earlier post referred to is generally funded by the school district.

Speech therapy, occupational therapy, classroom aides... are all funded through the school district. While a student may get speech therapy outside of school that is paid for by private insurance or Medicaid, if they receive these services in school, these therapists are school district employees, paid for out of school district funds.

I have yet to read any report or hear any school district administrator say that these services are reimbursed at anywhere close to the level of costs. If you have information to the contrary, please provide.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 AM

88,883 posts, read 85,381,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I agree......one thing for some of these kids who can learn and get ahead. I have seen too many who will never actually learn or hold a job. I have a sister who is now 68 with mental health issues. She never went to public school. She was part of a program that gave her skills on her level to be able to work and live on her own with some home care. I do think this needs to be based on where these kids are on a scale of being able to learn, without disrupting the classmates. This is what my kids found, too many of these kids required much more than the teacher is trained to deal with. Some need personal attention from the teacher, which, leaves the other kids loosing interest and also disrupting the class.

Seems more like glorified daycare for many.
I know what you mean. The state requires they be in school even if they are not educable. I had a friend with a son who had the mental capacity of a 4-month-old. He was terribly twisted in his body and was blind besides. She would proudly display on her refrigerator pictures and macaroni "art" that ""Jimmy made in school". The first time she said that, I looked at her in shock and disbelief, which then turned to pity. Jimmy couldn't make anything. Some aide was getting paid to move his hands around with hers while she made things he couldn't see or connect with on any level.

I am not saying the child was not worth anything. He was a beautiful boy despite his anomalies, and there was something about him, as if his spirit was closer to the surface because he lacked the physical and mental defenses the rest of us wear. But it was ridiculous for him to be in school.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:58 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,950,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Hearing Betty DeVos, the new Education secretary and a woman who is a die hard Mad Max social darwinist, talk about how disabled children shouldnt get federal protection is very troublesome.

Do you support the idea of disabled children being left to the mercy of the states so states can chase out families with disabled children because they use too much taxpayer money?
Why does the Fed know better than the states?

Old 01-20-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, they are.
What about the other students? Their programs and services are cut to cater to the disabled students. Their classrooms are disrupted while teachers, aides, principals, social workers, etc., cater to the needs of the disabled students. And, as I've already explained, some of those students can be very violent in the classroom.
No they are not. They are getting the funding needed to guarantee their right to a free public education. Its not disproportionate. It is in direct proportion to their needs.

What programs and services have been cut directly because of the education disabled children currently receive?

If a student is violent - whether they are disabled or not - they should not be in gen pop with the other kids and teachers. That is a no-brainer. I'm not talking about those kids and I support their removal from mainstream classrooms.

I am talking about the many, many children who do not act like this who will lose out because of the false narratives being put forward by people who have little knowledge of what happens in schools day in and day out.

What exactly happens when all of those adults supposedly "cater to the needs" of the disabled students? I'm curious as to what you believe is going on in these classrooms. I've not ever witnessed what you are describing.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:59 AM

38,655 posts, read 26,466,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Special Ed spending has gotten out of control. Spending $100,000 - $300,000 per year for a special needs kid is beyond what society can reasonably afford, yet that scenario is far more common than most people realize. What makes it even worse is that all that spending will not yield an adult on the other end of that process than can support themselves or even live independently.

Fully 2/3's of my town's education expense is for Special Ed. Of course they are designating something like a quarter of the kids as being Special Ed which poses a whole other set of questions as to how much the special ed industry has taken over schools in a "solution looking for a problem" kind of way.

Right.

We have incentivized the diagnosis of ADD, Dyslexia, etc. and the special education industry has flourished.

It's the same old predictable statist tactic...if you oppose their reckless spending, you hate children.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know what you mean. The state requires they be in school even if they are not educable. I had a friend with a son who had the mental capacity of a 4-month-old. He was terribly twisted in his body and was blind besides. She would proudly display on her refrigerator pictures and macaroni "art" that ""Jimmy made in school". The first time she said that, I looked at her in shock and disbelief, which then turned to pity. Jimmy couldn't make anything. Some aide was getting paid to move his hands around with hers while she made things he couldn't see or connect with on any level.

I am not saying the child was not worth anything. He was a beautiful boy despite his anomalies, and there was something about him, as if his spirit was closer to the surface because he lacked the physical and mental defenses the rest of us wear. But it was ridiculous for him to be in school.
In my district, profoundly disabled children are in another classroom altogether. What do you propose we do with those children? Keep them at home and out of society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies