Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 08:53 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,409,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, you are. It's happened to my kids' classrooms time and time again in K-8. Special Ed kids are "mainstreamed" because that's perceived to be "the least restrictive environment." That's a legal right the disabled kids have, and neither the schools nor the concerned parents of the other kids in the classroom can do anything about it. Disruptive student in the classroom? Tough ****. Normal kids don't matter. They have no such legal right to be educated in "the least restrictive environment."
No, I'm not because removal of disruptive students has happened and continues to happen in my district. As I said we have an alternative learning center for students who are not capable of being in mainstream classrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,409,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes and then was confused whether IDEA was state or federal funded. Nothing was said about pulling any funds or shutting down programs. As I understand the fed picks up ~40% of the excess cost, the states must come up with the remainder of the funding. It is estimated that it cost twice as much to educate a special needs child than a non special needs child. She did not make any definitive statement as to her intentions concerning IDEA special needs obligations or funding.
She said it was best left to the states.

Whether that comes from ignorance or a belief that disabled students shouldn't have access to equal education is moot at this point - at least for me. If she doesn't know what IDEA is, that's sad. First year teachers understand what IDEA is.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 AM

51,725 posts, read 26,018,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
In my district, we have an alternative learning center. We also have classrooms dedicated to profoundly disabled children.
Many, maybe all, districts have classrooms dedicated to children with profound, severe, and multiple disabilities. Often these children have complex medical histories and chronic health concerns. Generally the focus is on communication skills and keeping them alive.

Placing a disruptive student in such an environment would be a poor idea. Even if a school official were dim enough to do this, I'm sure the parents would advocate their child right out of that.

In most districts, alternative learning centers are for high school students.

Some have slots for elementary and middle school, but these are generally for the students who are a danger to themselves or others and require constant supervision. The student with an ADHD diagnosis or a diagnosis on the autism spectrum or cognitive disabilities... which result in outbursts and disruptions would not typically be placed in such an environment. Once again, if a school district did place such students in this environment, I have no doubt that the parents and advocates would insist they be removed immediately.

"Least restrictive environment" refers to the environment the student with a disability can function in without injuring self or others. It says nothing about the learning environment that the rest of the rest of the students have a right to expect.

Starting around middle school, some are sent to "study hall" for periods of time, and then back to the classroom.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,927,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Hearing Betty DeVos, the new Education secretary and a woman who is a die hard Mad Max social darwinist, talk about how disabled children shouldnt get federal protection is very troublesome.

Do you support the idea of disabled children being left to the mercy of the states so states can chase out families with disabled children because they use too much taxpayer money?
Maybe the celebrities would like to donate? that's strange, they all disappeared...

Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 AM

88,993 posts, read 85,515,476 times
Quote:
But its not "school" other than its at the school. I do believe the cost would be the same, if not higher, if there was a medical daycare facility. I think it makes sense to have it at a school and to be quite honest, I think its good for children to be integrated with different types of peers.
These profoundly disabled kids aren't integrated as higher-functioning children are. It wouldn't matter anyway because they have no clue about who is around them or that there are differences. They don't have that level of awareness.

Now for typical kids, I agree that is good for them for be around differently-abled children as long as they are not shoved aside to accommodate the special needs kids.

My dd's public school not only had a good program for kids on the spectrum, but we had all the hearing-impaired kids from our side of the county, including HIP kids with other special needs. The kids all learned to sign early.

However, in fifth grade, my dd was upset because for the fifth year in a row, she was in the collaborative class with the special needs kids and the special aides. Other typical kids were alternated so that in some years they were not in the collaborative classes.

Well, it was me being naive. The more controlling mothers were lobbying to keep their kids out of collaborative classes while like an idiot I took the school's word that the class makeup was computer-generated. I went to the school and they moved her into a non-collaborative class after looking at the records. She was already feeling different being one of the few kids with divorced parents. At least I could do that for her, and it was not in any way a slam against the special-needs kids.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
She said it was best left to the states.

Whether that comes from ignorance or a belief that disabled students shouldn't have access to equal education is moot at this point - at least for me. If she doesn't know what IDEA is, that's sad. First year teachers understand what IDEA is.
I agree.

Who goes for job interview to be the federal director of a department without at least reading up on the federal laws related to that department and some of the issues that have been rolling around the department in recent years?

Did her limo driver just drop her off unexpectedly?

Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,464,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Hearing Betty DeVos, the new Education secretary and a woman who is a die hard Mad Max social darwinist, talk about how disabled children shouldnt get federal protection is very troublesome.

Do you support the idea of disabled children being left to the mercy of the states so states can chase out families with disabled children because they use too much taxpayer money?
The recourse is loss of payment.

There are a lot of private schools cropping up for special needs. Private schools would provide more transparency and that is what we need. When schools get paid as a business they're more likely to adhere to the customer service rule. A Voucher for this would be an added bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkscHt96R0
The public schools aren't helping. They are protected and can abuse the system.
https://usnews.newsvine.com/_news/20...teaching-staff
Watch this video, it's disgusting. They only get away with this because the kids can't tell their parents. A normal classroom would never have this happen. Ever. This is a special needs classroom.

We failed just admit it. This teacher is still teaching.

I still think that parents should receive their kids money for schooling them at home, especially when they have special needs. It's beyond stupid that they don't get to use that money for their kids at home.

Kids are expensive, think before you have them. It's your obligation to pay for their needs.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:25 AM

3,457 posts, read 1,464,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
These profoundly disabled kids aren't integrated as higher-functioning children are. It wouldn't matter anyway because they have no clue about who is around them or that there are differences. They don't have that level of awareness.
You are the one who is clueless. This ^ is a ridiculous statement. You have never been more wrong.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
But its not "school" other than its at the school. I do believe the cost would be the same, if not higher, if there was a medical daycare facility. I think it makes sense to have it at a school and to be quite honest, I think its good for children to be integrated with different types of peers.
I do too. Right up to the point this interferes with providing a decent education for all students.

Many families have already pulled their children out of the public school. They realize that a decent education is the foundation for the future and they don't have faith that our public schools can provide this.

Once vouchers are widely available, more will do this.

As Tokinouta pointed out, there are private schools that are doing a great job of educating children with special needs. Many are homeschooling. They'd love vouchers.

It is not fair to blame this all on funding and services for children with disabilities. Teachers' unions who make it impossible to fire incompetent teachers carry their share of blame, the emphasis on social over academic goals...

But the emphasis has switched from academics to meeting the needs of teachers, of students with special needs, of low-income students... and there is growing support for vouchers.

Since the Republicans rule the roost now, I see this happening in the near future.

Once each student comes with a voucher that parents can deposit in the school of their choice, wonder how many will continue to choose public schools?

Old 01-20-2017, 09:36 AM

88,993 posts, read 85,515,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
You are the one who is clueless. This ^ is a ridiculous statement. You have never been more wrong.
How so? I've known that child since he was a toddler, which is a misnomer since he has never walked. He is now 23. He wears a size 4 toddler clothing. A part of his brain is missing, it never formed. He is sightless.

Yes, he knows the voices of his family. Any four-month-old does. He seems to enjoy music.

But he wouldn't have any clue as to whether all the kids on the same approximate level as him in the same facility are different from him or not. Believing that he would is what is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies