Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,409,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I believe people therefore don't count disabled children as worthy of the public funds"

You are entitled to this opinion.

I truly feel sorry for you.
Still not getting your point. There are people here who do not believe disabled kids are worthy of public funds. Why would you feel sorry for ME?

Perhaps dispense with the word games and veiled insults and come out with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 12:42 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,446,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Hey I am all for the United States no longer being United States.

Calexit 2018. Accepting and protecting all disabled children Mississippi will not protect.

Protect from what is anyone's guess with these lunatics spouting off such nonsense.

Our boys in Sacramento need to take an Excel class or two before promising any more benefits to anyone.

The little $2.0 billion error in Medical didn't shock you?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Maybe your district hasn't yet been sued by the parents of a Special Ed student. When it is, things will change. Mark my words. I speak from experience. Again, it MUST be understood that the only students with actual legal rights in our public schools are Special Ed students.
Region leads state in special education litigation - News - The Times-Tribune

My district is 84th among the state for lawsuits.

ALL children have a legal right to a public education. As an aside, if what you say is true, why are parents routinely in trouble when they don't send their child to school? How can they be in trouble for something that isn't protected by law?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:09 PM

88,993 posts, read 85,515,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What was wrong with the collaborative classes? What did your daughter encounter?
There was nothing "wrong" with them. As I said, it was beneficial for the kids to experience the differently-abled kids among them. But reality is that things get slowed down when there are special-needs/HIP/SHIP or disruptive kids in class. Fine. That's the way it is. But when there are other classes full of only-neurotypical kids who don't have to deal with disruptions and slowdowns, they are able to participate in different activities not limited to those special-needs kids can participate in and learn in a more neurotypical way.

It is not fair that only certain NT students should get the opportunity to experience learning in an NT-only setting while other NT kids in the same school don't get that experience. My daughter wanted that chance. She heard from her friends that they did this or that in class that she wasn't getting to do. It was more than 15 years ago, I don't recall specifics. But it was important enough that she asked if we could see about getting her moved to an NT class, and since this chance was apparently given to everyone else, I wasn't going to tell her to just suck it up.

My friend with the profoundly-disabled son understood this. She planned activities and trips with just her NT daughter so that she would have the chance to be a "normal" kid sometimes without life revolving around her disabled brother's needs.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was nothing "wrong" with them. As I said, it was beneficial for the kids to experience the differently-abled kids among them. But reality is that things get slowed down when there are special-needs or disruptive kids in class. Fine. That's the way it is. But when there are other classes full of only-neurotypical kids who don't have to deal with disruptions and slowdowns, they are able to participate in different activities not limited to those special-needs kids can participate in and learn in a more neurotypical way.

It is not fair that only certain NT students should get the opportunity to experience learning in an NT-only setting while other NT kids in the same school don't get that experience.

My friend with the profoundly-disabled son understood this. She planned activities and trips with just her NT daughter so that she would have the chance to be a "normal" kid sometimes without life revolving around her disabled brother's needs.
I see what you are saying. In my state, I think a lot of the ills of education today could be solved with pension reform and hiring assistants for teachers.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM

51,725 posts, read 26,018,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Short of pulling a knife and attacking other students, it is close to impossible to permanently remove a disruptive child from a classroom.
Quote:
In my district, we have an alternative learning center. We also have classrooms dedicated to profoundly disabled children.
Quote:
I don't see how you believe I think violent students should be in the same room as profoundly disabled students. What did I say to make you think that?
You responded to my post about how it is close to impossible to permanently remove a disruptive child from a classroom buy posting that in your district you have ALCs and classrooms dedicated to profoundly disabled children.

I posted how that wouldn't work.

Does that clear things up?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-20-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You responded to my post about how it is close to impossible to permanently remove a disruptive child from a classroom buy posting that in your district you have ALCs and classrooms dedicated to profoundly disabled children.

I posted how that wouldn't work.

Does that clear things up?
I guess I could have separated the two but I thought it would be clear that violent children weren't put together with profoundly disabled kids.

The ALC is for violent children.

The rooms are for profoundly disabled children.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
My son has ADHD and autism. He is in a mainstream classroom. If he became overwhelmed, he was removed from the classroom by his aide - not employed by the district - and taken for a walk to calm down. When he was good again, he returned to the classroom.

The LRE clause does not take away other students' right to an education. I'm very sorry if this is happening in the schools you are familiar with but from what I've seen with my own eyes, being in my children's schools for years, their school doesn't seem to struggle with this issue.
Then you are in a unique school. You may want to ask the parents of the other students if they share your views on this matter.

I volunteered in our children's classrooms for years. This is what I've observed:

The children diagnosed with ADHD and autism often make sounds, jump up out of their seats, wave their hands around, make unusual comments while the teachers are presenting lessons... The teachers do their best to ignore or redirect this behavior.

If the student becomes overwhelmed, they try calming strategies. If that doesn't work, they call the office and an aide comes down and takes them out the classroom. A little while later, they return, and the whole process starts over again.

In the states I'm familiar with, the aides are paid out of the school district budget. The NC legislature cut back the state education budget a year or so ago, and there was a significant cut in teachers' aides.

Sounds like your son has a one-on-one aide (funded through Medicaid?) that stays with him at all times. When I've observed this, it usually means the student needs a great deal of attention and usually means lots of whispering and redirecting.

All of this is disruptive. All the noises, all the conversations with his aide, all the unrelated comments, all the motion and activity, all the meltdowns...

It's all disruptive. All the fuss and bother makes focusing and learning difficult if not impossible for the other students.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:46 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,488,262 times
Let's put aside the demagoguery. It isn't a clear black and white case.
Yes, trying to integrate ALL students regardless of their disabilities is a noble cause. It does much to help these kids be independent and contribute to society as adults.
On the other hand, the cost of this (growing) tend over the years is staggering. The most notable point is the school taxes which went over the roof in many communities. Its one of the heaviest burdens in our area. But that is known by everyone. Some low income families and seniors simply cannot afford even a reduced form of the school tax.
But the less known fact is that the number of special needs students is constantly on the rise. School districts struggle to make ends meet. It consumes resources of all kinds, requiring a large dedicated staff (beyond teachers) and sometimes has a negative impact on the regular kids in the classroom. At times, one special needs student can impact a whole class of students with average / above average capability. School administrators are constantly struggling with legal challenges, which generate tensions and stress in the entire district.
Letting the states be in charge instead of the federal government, will impact communities all over America. It is clear that families with special needs children will move to more supportive states.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I guess I could have separated the two but I thought it would be clear that violent children weren't put together with profoundly disabled kids.

The ALC is for violent children.

The rooms are for profoundly disabled children.
Not sure how I would know from your reply that you did not intend to mean that disruptive children would not be sent to rooms for children with profound disabilities. But glad you cleared that up.

I agree that ALCs are for violent students, the ones who are a danger to themselves and others. But this is not where disruptive children are educated in public schools.

Disruptive students are mainstreamed into regular classrooms where the rest of the students and the teachers just have to deal with it.

I realize that parents of children with special needs are struggling with all sorts of problems that I, like a lot of other other parents, are totally unaware of.

But your son will likely always have supportive services, disability benefits, medical care, subsidized housing, etc. At least I pray that doesn't change in our nation.

However, other children such as mine, will not. They will need to get a decent education so that they can be competitive in a global economy. Our nation will need them all to be employable so that our economy can continue to grow and flourish.

Is it fair or even smart to diminish their education by being in classrooms year after year where it is difficult or impossible to concentrate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies