Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:08 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,394,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Then you are in a unique school. You may want to ask the parents of the other students if they share your views on this matter.

I volunteered in our children's classrooms for years. This is what I've observed:

The children diagnosed with ADHD and autism often make sounds, jump up out of their seats, wave their hands around, make unusual comments while the teachers are presenting lessons... The teachers do their best to ignore or redirect this behavior.

If the student becomes overwhelmed, they try calming strategies. If that doesn't work, they call the office and an aide comes down and takes them out the classroom. A little while later, they return, and the whole process starts over again.

In the states I'm familiar with, the aides are paid out of the school district budget. The NC legislature cut back the state education budget a year or so ago, and there was a significant cut in teachers' aides.

Sounds like your son has a one-on-one aide (funded through Medicaid?) that stays with him at all times. When I've observed this, it usually means the student needs a great deal of attention and usually means lots of whispering and redirecting.

All of this is disruptive. All the noises, all the conversations with his aide, all the unrelated comments, all the motion and activity, all the meltdowns...

It's all disruptive. All the fuss and bother makes focusing and learning difficult if not impossible for the other students.
Yes, he has a TSS worker funded through medicaid. You may think my son is disruptive, but if you knew me and you heard his teachers speak of him, I guess you'd be surprised that he (a) is accountable for his behavior, (b) gets very good grades and (c) his teachers have described him as a pleasure to have in class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 PM

51,697 posts, read 25,982,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, he has a TSS worker funded through medicaid. You may think my son is disruptive, but if you knew me and you heard his teachers speak of him, I guess you'd be surprised that he (a) is accountable for his behavior, (b) gets very good grades and (c) his teachers have described him as a pleasure to have in class.
I apologize.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:18 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,394,301 times
Quote:
I apologize.
No need to. I think the distraction excuse gets overplayed in many cases. Its unfair to assume that my son, or any other child with special needs, is automatically unwelcome in their classrooms due to their issues.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:28 PM

51,697 posts, read 25,982,246 times
Quote:
No need to. I think the distraction excuse gets overplayed in many cases. Its unfair to assume that my son, or any other child with special needs, is automatically unwelcome in their classrooms due to their issues.
I volunteered for years and I can tell you for a fact it is not overplayed. From what I've seen, I think it is underplayed.

Countless times, I've seen teachers interrupted by a child jumping up and running to the window to announce that something is occurring outside, dropping stuff on the floor, making odd comments and unusual noises...

Every field trip I've ever chaperoned, my job was to hang on to a couple of the students with special needs. If there wasn't parents to go along, the class couldn't take the field trips.

If as you say, your son is not disruptive and a pleasure to be in the class, then why is Medicaid funding a one-on-one aide?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:43 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,274,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Yes. That is why there is a 10th amendment. If your kid is a burden on society because you can't pay to support them, you can choose to live in any of 50 states to get the support you need.
Many people cannot afford to move out of a state they are in. If CA provides what is needed but you are a poor resident of WV, how would you even be able to move there?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:44 PM

20,134 posts, read 16,244,807 times
Quote:
Then you are in a unique school. You may want to ask the parents of the other students if they share your views on this matter.

I volunteered in our children's classrooms for years. This is what I've observed:

The children diagnosed with ADHD and autism often make sounds, jump up out of their seats, wave their hands around, make unusual comments while the teachers are presenting lessons... The teachers do their best to ignore or redirect this behavior.

If the student becomes overwhelmed, they try calming strategies. If that doesn't work, they call the office and an aide comes down and takes them out the classroom. A little while later, they return, and the whole process starts over again.

In the states I'm familiar with, the aides are paid out of the school district budget. The NC legislature cut back the state education budget a year or so ago, and there was a significant cut in teachers' aides.

Sounds like your son has a one-on-one aide (funded through Medicaid?) that stays with him at all times. When I've observed this, it usually means the student needs a great deal of attention and usually means lots of whispering and redirecting.

All of this is disruptive. All the noises, all the conversations with his aide, all the unrelated comments, all the motion and activity, all the meltdowns...

It's all disruptive. All the fuss and bother makes focusing and learning difficult if not impossible for the other students.
She must be in Pennsylvania and is referring to TSS services, which will fund one-on-one aides for children as part of the state Outpatient Psychiatric Services for Children provision. To my knowledge they are the only state that has provisions to foot that bill outside of the Department of Education. There is frequent discussion about changing those laws/regulations because the cost is almost prohibitive, especially as more and more parents, particularly those with kids on the spectrum, have become aware of it. A TSS aide is more expensive than a school employed aide and their actions follow a medical treatment program, as opposed to an educational one. They are not accountable in any manner to the school, although I'm sure they are cooperative with them. Frankly, this is a more suitable funding pathway and has lesser impact on other students.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:21 PM

10,276 posts, read 6,374,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
She must be in Pennsylvania and is referring to TSS services, which will fund one-on-one aides for children as part of the state Outpatient Psychiatric Services for Children provision. To my knowledge they are the only state that has provisions to foot that bill outside of the Department of Education. There is frequent discussion about changing those laws/regulations because the cost is almost prohibitive, especially as more and more parents, particularly those with kids on the spectrum, have become aware of it. A TSS aide is more expensive than a school employed aide and their actions follow a medical treatment program, as opposed to an educational one. They are not accountable in any manner to the school, although I'm sure they are cooperative with them. Frankly, this is a more suitable funding pathway and has lesser impact on other students.
I worked as a 1:1 Aide in both NY and Florida. Just Pa? I worked with all disabilities and all ages from Pre-K to HS to Adults. I pushed wheelchairs, changed diapers, spoon fed, calmed down emotionally disturbed teens with scissors and criminal records, you name it, I did it for many, many years. The most I was ever paid was $15/hour. That is WITH a College Degree unrelated to this field. I have a Business Degree (Legal). Could I have made more $$$$ doing that? Of course, but caring for PEOPLE is worth more than money in my book. I suppose the Trumpsters think I am a freeloader on society for not picking myself up, getting a high paying job, and making a LOT OF MONEY. I have been hit, bitten, punched, almost stabbed, TV thrown at me, and chased down a hall with a rope. I do this because I CAN't do anything else? You people are clueless and lack a heart if you cannot see why.

BTW, in both NY and Florida just for a Teaching Assistant position you need to have a Minimum of a 2 year Associates Degree for at the MAXIMUM $15/hour. Do you really think we do this for the money, or because we lack the education or skills to do anything else????

Have a little RESPECT for others who don't sit in front of computer for their jobs. I will include in this Police, Firefighters, Construction Workers, Manual Laborers, etc. As my Plumber Nephew once said, "I get paid for what is in my head as much for what in my hands". True. I can say the same for my field.

Last edited by Jo48; 01-20-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 05:43 PM

35 posts, read 27,041 times
Quote:
When a state establishes a public school system, no child can be discriminated against in the use of that school.
Absolutely agree... but large spending on a select few is discriminatory against those that do not need it. Why do you think so many parents want their children to be considered special needs? Schools should provide the exact same level of service for all. If an individual needs additional levels of care, it is up to the parents, and not by compromising the funding needed for all remaining students. The level of selfishness here is absolutely mind-boggling.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:27 PM

35 posts, read 27,041 times
Quote:
When a state establishes a public school system, no child can be discriminated against in the use of that school.
I agree that each child should get the same use of the school system, but discrimination against those without 'special needs' is just that.. every child should receive the same amount of education... thus the voucher system would be the most fair... take total school budget and divide by total number of students. That's all you get. You want better schooling? Then pay for it yourself. The degree of a sense of entitlement and selfishness is absolutely incredible.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,007,192 times
Quote:
You're right.

$15K - $25K is fairly typical for private schools in our area.

$7K - $10K for Christian school tuition.

It is difficult to see how $5K vouchers are going to get low-income kids out of failing schools.

Or children with disabilities into private schools that can meet their needs.

But it will allow middle-income families to enroll their kids in religious schools and I suspect many will.

I'm curious though, why are you looking for a private school for your grandson? What is it that public schools aren't providing that you're looking for?
I will dm you. I don't want to discuss this in the public forum at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies