Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:09 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I have to laugh at the remark that Florida probably has better public schools. The Florida educational system constantly ranks near the bottom and 40% of new teachers leave either the profession or to another state within 5 years. All the retired people don't see the need for them to pay for a decent educational system once they get here. Same reason there is a state trooper shortage; Florida has the lowest pay in the nation.
Yes, police, firefighters, teachers etc are paid like cr** in FL. And instead of funding schools like rational societies would do, through general taxation to avoid a race to the bottom we allow our school system to be gutted by allowing people to be freeloaders on the system. They got their education (paid by people of ALL ages when they were in school-age), now they deny others the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.tax-brackets.org/californiataxtable

9.3% tax bracket after $51,530 California

Rates and Withholding

0.9% SDI tax rate
Do you know the meaning of marginal taxation? You're not going to pay 10.2% of your income in state tax in CA.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yep. Major sinkholes that swallow people and car lots. I was a bit flippant earlier, and I regret it. That first story is terrifying and heart-breaking. The sinkhole reopened just a couple of years later. The second sinkhole happened not far from where my husband's family lived many years ago. This one happened not far from the Magic Kingdom and swallowed part of a hotel complex. Think about that next time you want to take your littles on a Disney vacation.
No littles. Not for me any time soon. Especially not down here... Palmetto bugs might grab them and take them to their nest to feed... Like an eagle!

Wow sink holes and gators. Disney's newest attractions!

I'd take them to Daytona over Disney. The next time I get vacation time I'm taking off and doing the nascar experience, take an ARCA car out for 8 laps.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:11 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,499 times
Quote:
After experiencing them both, why is Florida run in such much more up-scale way then the state of California.

Looks like Governor Jerry Brown fantasies are happening in Florida because of a Republican governor.

Passenger Train Travel Miami To Orlando FL - Fort Lauderdale & West Palm Beach | All Aboard Florida

I also noticed no matter where I went in Florida it seemed as though silky-smooth roads and sidewalks, as opposed to California's roads that are falling apart and crumbling sidewalks.

Florida hospitals also have very good reviews compared to most California hospitals.

California's health-care system is a network of mainly unionized public hospitals that are falling apart due to pension needs or for-profit hospitals.

Florida on the other hand seems to lots of highly-regarded hospitals like the Mayo Clinic and Florida Health which has high ratings and looks like a state of the art health campus.

Florida also likely has better public schools because Floridians have far less children then Californians.

Californians schools are completely overwhelmed compared to Florida which benefits from a relatively low percentage of children.

LAUSD is so overwhelmed with pensions it's only a few years from a possibly bankruptcy

Panel warns of major L.A. school district funding shortfall - LA Times
You consider:
10.3% on taxable income between $263,223 and 315,866.

middle class?

Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
You consider:
10.3% on taxable income between $263,223 and 315,866.

middle class?
9.3% state income tax starting at $51,530 state taxable income plus 0.9% SDI tax for a total of 10.2%.

The 0.9% SDI tax is on the first $110,000 of income.

It is basically a state income tax for disability or taking care of a newborn

Florida has no state income tax.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 01-19-2017 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you know the meaning of marginal taxation? You're not going to pay 10.2% of your income in state tax in CA.
+1

The OP and many others apparently don't and appear too ignorant to even bother learning how it works.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
9.3% state income tax starting at $51,530 state taxable income plus 0.9% SDI tax for a total of 10.2%.

The 0.9% SDI tax is on the first $110,000 of income.

It is basically a state income tax for disability or taking care of a newborn

Florida has state income tax.
Statistically speaking, taxable income for a single person of $51,530 - $263,222 is not middle class.

Here's the distribution of household incomes (i.e. 2 or more income earners in 1 household) in the entire country for your reference of reality.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Florida run so much better with no income tax as opposed to California which has 10.2% middle-class income tax.-household-income-distribution.jpg  

Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
I really like Florida, being a warm weather water person.

If I was going to live in another state, Florida would most likely be it.

Although, my only serious look at moving out of Texas was to Hawaii. The company my wife worked for asked her if she might be interested in managing three facilities they were purchasing there. When she mentioned it, I laughed and told her we could never afford a home there. She said I couldn't say that. So to prove her wrong, I got online to show her home prices. I found a really cool home on the water that we could afford. Lol. We briefly discussed it before deciding we couldn't move that far from family. It was tempting though.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Quality is quality, irrespective of cost. The rankings in your link = a combination of quality and cost.

Quote:
Both states have high school rankings according to this report. CA #3 and FL #4.

How States Compare in the 2016 Best High Schools Rankings
The rankings are as compared to other high schools that made the 'UNWR Best High Schools' list, not as compared to all other high schools.

Quote:
Florida is #15 in Poverty Level, 16.7% Calif isn't too far ahead, but is ranked #18, 15.8%

US Poverty Level By State - WorldAtlas.com
That link doesn't represent poverty level adjusted for cost of living, which moves California to the top or very near the top of the list.

Quote:
I don't know why you started this thread, but if it's to show that red states have better schools than blue states, you're going to lose that argument. Maryland, Connecticut and Massachusetts are consistently are listed in the top 5.
There was a past thread where a person from MA was bragging how much better the test scores and therefore schools are in MA than they are in TX, and that that justifies the higher per pupil spending (a certain slice of that needed for the higher salaries of unionized classroom teachers entitled to collective bargaining). A person from TX pointed out that when the scores are separated into Asian, White, Black, and Hispanic data sets, the scores for each racial or ethnic group listed above were almost identical for each state (MA and TX), and thus the scores overall for MA were higher because MA has a higher percentage of the student population in the two highest scoring groups. The TX person also posted a link to prove this. The MA person disappeared from the thread without a reply.

Quote:
The top hospitals in the U.S. are also in blue states.
Perhaps more often than not, but the Texas Medical Center in Houston is the largest medical center in the world. It includes 21 hospitals, one of which is the MD Anderson Cancer Center. Per U. S. News and World Report, for 2016......M.D. Anderson is the #1 ranked cancer hospital in the U.S.

Quote:
By the way, Calif has a lower crime rate than Florida as long as you're making comparisons.
People don't live all over a state at once. What else would matter except local and relatively local crime?

Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I laughed out loud at this post. Love the comments about the bugs. Unfortunately, we have that plague in Houston too, but I think Florida might be worse. I remember talking to a guy from San Diego who said his son had to collect bugs for a school project, AND COULDN'T FIND ANY!! I want to move to this bug-free paradise some day!
We definitely have to have a sense of humor about bugs here in the Houston metro !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies