Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:19 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

If it's that or your children go hungry you will do the job and appreciate the job every day.

And lose your sense of entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
The days of repetitious production based factory jobs are gone and aren't coming back no matter what govt policies are enacted. Robotics is here to stay.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Recently had a discussion with someone regarding if manufacturing jobs did come back to the country. That the current millennial generation would not want to work in a factory type setting no matter what the pay.

Though I have to admit in my younger years when i worked in a factory---I hated it. It was dirty, smelly, boring, just a total depressing job especially when working in an assembly line!
I've worked in a couple different factories and wholly agree that it was dirty, smelly, boring, and would add: loud, physically demanding, mind numbing, and low paying work.

The idea of manufacturing work being well-paying is largely contingent on whether or not one is in a manufacturing environment that requires training and skill (ie. CNC, welding, etc.). But when it comes to unskilled grunt work, well, that's a min. wage, non-union job and there's a line of applicants willing to take your place.

All of my factory work was through a temporary employment agency. All but the supervisors were temps. Just as one is qualified for benefits, based on continuous employment, the temp agency would notify one they "were no longer needed"....for 30 days...and a position would "open up" at a different factory. Everyone was rotated like this on a regular basis.

So it's not enough to talk about "manufacturing" but talk in terms of "full-time, regular (non-temp) jobs that pay a "union salary".

Old 01-27-2017, 06:39 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
I'd rather work in a factory than in food service. I hate food service jobs. I did those back in high school and college and hated every day of it. I'll at least try a factory job before returning to food service.

But those factory jobs are probably going to be like every other employment today and ask for 5+ years of experience doing a highly specific job. So the point here is moot. Millenials wont be qualified for them.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The open floor concept common in big high tech office environments is very much like a factory floor.

Most tech offices don't have open office environments. Some tech people work from home.
But the biggest difference is that office work doesn't require standing. lifting and physical labor that could cause physical injury. Some factories don't have Air Conditioning, which means it's hot and brutal in the summer. Also most tech work pays better and has better opportunities for advancement.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:51 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Nope, what manufacturing we would get back would be low paying and unsustainable. I also piddled too much time in college to do that. I actually liked food service jobs, I miss my "chef" days. But 8 years and 3 degrees later I'd be wasting time.

But I like using my head for a living, it pays better and is easier on my body. My starting pay was higher than most will ever make in a factory and I worked from home a lot of the time.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Recently had a discussion with someone regarding if manufacturing jobs did come back to the country. That the current millennial generation would not want to work in a factory type setting no matter what the pay.

Though I have to admit in my younger years when i worked in a factory---I hated it. It was dirty, smelly, boring, just a total depressing job especially when working in an assembly line!
Or do roofing under the Florida summer sun. I know people who work in construction, and they say there is no way they'd do roofing.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:55 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I'd rather work in a factory than in food service. I hate food service jobs. I did those back in high school and college and hated every day of it. I'll at least try a factory job before returning to food service.

But those factory jobs are probably going to be like every other employment today and ask for 5+ years of experience doing a highly specific job. So the point here is moot. Millenials wont be qualified for them.
Right now there are plenty of openings for skilled manufacturing jobs that are not being filled. Some of them will train if you have basic knowledge but not enough people are going to trade school to even learn the basics for these jobs. Kids wont take entry level jobs or shift work to get a foot in the door.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
When I was younger, I knew a bunch of people who worked on the assembly line at Compaq Computers. They enjoyed their jobs and were proud to say they worked there.

I think there is an expectation from middle class young people that they should be in their own office with a window. I was guilty of that. I didn't want to be in a cube.

I'll bet there are a ton of millennials who would rather be on a line than manning a deep fryer.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:01 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Im in a factory. We have millenials. Dirty work but it varies so monotony is not there and the health insurance is cheap to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies