Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:12 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
For like the 5 thousandth time, it isn't just the $8 dollar an hour jobs that are getting offshored. I've seen $40 an hour design jobs vanish, $100k engineering jobs, skilled die makers, machinists...the list goes on. Why can't the global cheerleaders get that ? Will they finally get it when offshoring effects them ?
You're missing the point. . .

If labor cost is set at one of your largest costs and you're currently setting it at $2, bringing it back at $40 is going to compel you to look to automation. Which was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 12:28 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Didn't you hear? Our country is broke. A good start is there are a lot of people on welfare and they could work in the factories. And if they were too busy working they would have so much time on their hands to cause the problems we're seeing.

As for millennials. What do they expect? If they don't have an education do you suppose we are supposed to hand them a welfare check for the rest of their lives because working in a manufacturing job is beneath them. There is something wrong with that picture.
The problem hasnt been millennials but people who had worked in factories for 20+ years, people who were 45+ <65 those people were not easy to retrain into the new economy nor did they want to, those people were the sacrificial lamb of the transition to the new economy, turns out they did not like it so much.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:41 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Millions of six figure paying IT/coding jobs have been taken by foreign workers from India.

It has reached to a point that these Indians have created a very powerful mafia where in many cases a US Citizen-American graduate does not stand a chance on landing these jobs if the hiring manager is an Indian - which is almost always the case.

In a majority of cases, these jobs are not even advertised. They will simply bring in a charter airplane fully load of poorly trained IT workers from Tamil Nadu. These high school or two year college techies start with $100 an hour from day one.

THIS is the area where these highly lucrative jobs should be given back to American citizens.
Additional Blue collar jobs aren't going to cut it for us.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:58 PM

19,641 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
Fibonacci your aunt was right Jimmy Carter was an idiot. But you are right about tech and AI will replace most human workers. The question is how far off it will be, 30, 50 or 80 years??? I think if you got a time machine and went a 120 years into the future most all people in first world countries will be on basic income and AI and robotics will be doing most all work. I think we are doing a dry run right now with so many people out of the workforce on welfair and disability in western countries. I predict the transition will be rough. If I ever have grand kids I would tell them to buy a small out of the way plot of land, learn some animal husbandry, LEARN TO GARDEN and learn to use a firearm just in case the basic income is not enough.

The big question, what kind of lifestyle will basic income afford? I suspect it would be like old soviet communism - living in tiny blocks with people totally dependent on the government, a bleak depressing existence. It would be welfare on steroids and it would be worse than welfare is now. No fancy section 8. Only special people would have it better, but the average person will just be poor and useless. I'm not sure average people will be able to own land or property at all, and by that time guns will be outlawed at least for the poor and bored living on their Basic Income.

There is simply no scenario in which basic income replacing work for much of the population can lead to anything but societal failure in so many ways.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:14 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You are just parroting what you read. Anyone can say it. You probably haven't even seen inside of a factory. How do you know what is or is not automated? Automation doesn't surface overnight. Besides, why is it that the same factory moved to Mexico employs thousands of people but here it's run by two guys on an ipad? Get your story straight.

In 1900, nearly 40% of jobs in the US were agricultural. By the 80s and 90s, less than 5% of the workforce is employed in Ag because technology has made a lot of work in Ag obsolete. Machines can now spotweld with near perfection for $8 in contrast to the human that costs $25 per hour. Manufacturing jobs exist in places like Vietnam, China, and Mexico because as of right now, human labor is still cheaper than robotics and AI. If manufacturing were to move back to the US and cost $25/hr + benefits, you can bet that it would speed up the process by which factories replace nearly all workers with machines and automation. Automation doesn't surface overnight unless you make the markets have a stronger demand for it, which would happen if high cost labor came back. Bringing back manufacturing is a pipedream. Sure, I have never set foot in a factory, but I bet you've never stepped foot in a lab like I work in either to see things like the most advanced microfluidic devices that are currently being designed that can perform nearly all of the labor that's is basically currently housed in massive buildings with many dozens of employees. And not only that, these devices will do the same labor in a matter of hours compared to what takes many weeks or months right now with all of those FTEs.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:41 PM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You're missing the point. . .

If labor cost is set at one of your largest costs and you're currently setting it at $2, bringing it back at $40 is going to compel you to look to automation. Which was my point.
That is the thing , labor isn't the largest cost. In automotive , it is 15%. Second, automating design and engineering ? Come on , give me a break. The left is always telling us stupid rust belters to retrain, go to school get a degree , blah, blah , blah so when you do and you become an engineer and your job gets offshored what then ? Should i get a liberal arts degree ? Become a barrista ? So the jobs are supposedly getting automated right ? If that is the case , why are the countries we are offshoring to developing middle classes when there weren't any before ? Thought it was all automated ?. Stop with the automation BS, it is wrong and you know it ir your ignoring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies