Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 01:18 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

With the Brexit negotiations about to get underway, the UK is facing some challenges.

Since the June 2016 Brexit vote, "the pound has lost almost 20 percent of its value against the dollar."

"At the same time, foreign companies are now warning May that they might have to relocate at least part of their U.K. operations to Europe if they do not have assurances that they will continue to enjoy free access to the European single market in a post-Brexit world."

Free access for the U.K. to the European single market is unlikely as the "U.K.'s European partners would not want a favorable post-Brexit arrangement with Britain to give encouragement to the remaining EU members to emulate the U.K. and leave the European Union."

Why a US-UK trade deal won't help British PM May | TheHill

Pound is sinking, foreign companies are looking at relocating at least the export part of their operations, and Marmite is going up in price. What next?

"While May started cobbling together potential trade deals with the USA and Turkey – something they can’t do until the ink is dry on the Brexit divorce papers – Germany seized the moment."

Oh, no.

Oh, yes.

"Chancellor Angela Merkel immediately began by putting down a marker to May making it clear the EU would seek new trade agreements with other countries – probably the eleven Pacific Rim nations"

"German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel backed up Merkel, saying Germany and the EU should be prepared to fill the void created by Trump’s cancellation of TPP."

"German State Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Finance Thomas Steffen went further and said the EU should nail down twelve free trade deals with countries such as China and Australia as soon as possible."

https://leftfootforward.org/2017/01/...itish-workers/

She needed to bring home some good news. Hope it was enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 01:33 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Pound is sinking, foreign companies are looking at relocating at least the export part of their operations, and Marmite is going up in price. What next?
Champagne corks are popping in Dublin and Frankfurt. Of course, most Brexiters would be only too happy to see international companies leave London - this was as much about the rural/urban divide as Trump's election. Living in Welsh coal country is as harsh of a deal as living in Appalachian coal country right now, and even if you know that a vote against the establishment is unlikely to improve anything, at least you can make them sit up and take notice.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:45 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Saw it today.

It came to nothing, as I predicted.

The majority of Brits love Trump. They're the same ones who voted for Brexit.

Those Brits believe in controlling their borders, just as Trump believes in controlling ours.

The ban should be made permanent. I hope it will be.

Liberals haven't come up with a good idea in the last 50 years. But maybe someday they will.

Same prediction was made by libs when Reagan visited -- didn't happen.

Countries and people with moral and ethical backbones support Trump.

Don't expect any intelligent answers to this from the anti-Trumps.

The labor MPs are complete nutters, as is the Scottish National Party.

No, it's because Saudi Arabia is not a failed state with a civil war going on like six of the seven countries Trump chose (from Obama's list; Obama was the first to place restrictions on them.)

Failed states with civil wars going on in them cannot provide the records needed to properly vet people.

The seventh country -- Iran -- will not cooperate with the U.S.; they consider themselves at war with us.

Does that answer the question for you?

Trump is working to keep America safe, and the people who don't want that are the real slimeballs.

You don't know what you're talking about. Brits do NOT "love" Trump. Not. Even. Close. As a child of Brits, and someone who has family and friends there, I can safely bet the vast majority of Brits, regardless of stance on Brexit, think Trump is a slimeball idiot. That you think otherwise says a lot.

Have you ever travelled outside of the US?
Have you ever lived in another Western country?
Are you capable of seeing beyond your very limited American conservative vs liberal worldview?

The Brexit vote wasn't the huge landslide you seem to think it was.

First of all, millions of eligible British voters disregarded the Brexit referendum and didn't cast a vote. They didn't believe that the UK would actually choose to leave the European Union, so they didn't take the threat seriously. Had they done so, it's likely the outcome would have been different.

Second, it was, in fact, only the English who voted for "Leave," and, even then, only by around a 6% lead (53% of voters, compared to 47% who voted "Remain"). In Northern Ireland, the majority voted "Remain" (56%), as did the majority in Scotland (62%)." You seem to forget, as many Americans do, that the UK consists of more than England.

Last, as a dual US-Canadian citizen, I assure you that a conservative in the UK (even one who voted "Leave"), a conservative in Europe, a conservative in Canada, or a conservative in Australia are all VERY different animals than an American conservative.

A conservative in any of these overwhelmingly liberal countries might agree with American conservatives on a couple of issues, but, beyond those, there are big differences in fundamental values. American conservatives play a WHOLE other game. I know conservative Brits who voted "Leave," and most, I'm willing to bet, dislike Trump. I know PLENTY of conservative Canadians, too (including my dad and other family members). The overwhelming majority didn't like Bush and are appalled by Trump. But most greatly respect Obama.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-31-2017 at 02:10 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 01:52 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Champagne corks are popping in Dublin and Frankfurt. Of course, most Brexiters would be only too happy to see international companies leave London - this was as much about the rural/urban divide as Trump's election. Living in Welsh coal country is as harsh of a deal as living in Appalachian coal country right now, and even if you know that a vote against the establishment is unlikely to improve anything, at least you can make them sit up and take notice.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I dont see any reason why Trump cant come to meet the Queen.... sure didnt she have to shake hands with a Martin McGuiiness and not a protest in site.. funny that isnt it... and some other leaders who were guilty of genocide.... Trump is an angel compared to these men, the protesters should catch up on their history books..

Old 01-31-2017, 04:01 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
I just saw parliament debating banning Trump, and I thought people here didn't like him. Some really angry Englishmen and women

Old 01-31-2017, 04:12 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Trump is about Trump. Needs a show--parades, royalty, flag waving, fireworks, there is no end and it's to satisfy his ego. If he'll really make a trade deal, then the British need to give him whatever he demands. The queen can stand him; she's put up with idiots before and she seems unflappable.

But they can't make any biding agreements until they are officially out of the EU, in a few years.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:25 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is what I was thinking. If the QUEEN wants to see Trump, can anyone actually seriously stop it from happening? I know she's a figurehead and really not in power but still... she's the queen.

Elizabeth II nor any British monarch is merely a "figurehead"; in theory all powers of government reside with the sovereign, it is the exercise of same that is done by others.

British monarchs do have incredible powers even with this system. Though rarely used nowadays the sovereign can refuse royal assent to a bill and has other reserve powers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_assent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarc...al_Prerogative

Elizabeth II's reign has largely been influenced by the crisis of her uncle, Edward VIII and the crisis caused by his abdication. Probably not since perhaps Charles I or Henry VIII had the whole "family firm" come close to collapsing. As such you see in HM someone who knows and is devoted to duty; thus you aren't going to see any interference in government from the current monarch. HM knows her job and sticks to it; however that does not mean the same would always hold true in future.

Happily the British system of parliamentary government tends to solve issues these days on its own, leaving monarch out of things. To wit David Cameron falling upon his sword after the disaster of Brexit.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:52 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
where are they? You lying Alt RIght racists like to lie rather than support your viewpoint with facts or even actual arguments. So I ask you again WHERE ARE THEY? Where, who , what when... point us to these people? I see no posters here that do not want secure borders, you wish to frame them as if they don't support strong borders , when they do support strong borders. They simply want common sense. Obama beefed up our security checks on refugees and those seeking resident status here, or even visiting for an afternoon. it takes 18-24 months if everything goes smooth for a PRE SELECTED person or family to get accepted. TRUMP has done NOTHING to change any of that, he has made NO part of the system stronger. But he did throw you some red meat to stoke your hate. His blanket ban is a disgrace adds nothing to our security and contains not a single word intended to. All he had to do was allow those in the system or who have completed navigating the system to continue forward while putting a halt on NEW applications until they have figured out what they want to do. Instead he acting like a shat head, and endangered the lives of thousands so that he could pretend to secure the borders..Trump is not a good man, and your post suggests you are acting from ignorance and fear like a child told scary stories. If you met these people you would hang your head in shame.
It's too bad (for you) that you aren't thrilled that Trump is making America great again -- starting by keeping unvetted Muslims out of the U.S.

"Unvetted" = Obama's CIA director Brennan, FBI director Comey, and Director of National Intelligence Clapper all saying that we can't properly vet people coming from war-torn countries like Syria, failed states like Somalia and Libya, and hostile countries like Iran.

But Obama and Hillary wanted to let them in anyway.

Trump needs to make the ban permanent, because we probably won't ever be able to properly vet those people.

The only exception should be Christians who are being massacred in those countries.

10% of Syrians are Christian, but only 1% of the Syrian refugees accepted by Obama have been Christian.

But then, of course, Obama is a Muslim who hates Christians.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-01-2017 at 02:32 AM..

Old 02-01-2017, 02:00 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

You don't know what you're talking about. Brits do NOT "love" Trump. Not. Even. Close. As a child of Brits, and someone who has family and friends there, I can safely bet the vast majority of Brits, regardless of stance on Brexit, think Trump is a slimeball idiot. That you think otherwise says a lot.

Have you ever travelled outside of the US?
Have you ever lived in another Western country?
Are you capable of seeing beyond your very limited American conservative vs liberal worldview?

The Brexit vote wasn't the huge landslide you seem to think it was.

First of all, millions of eligible British voters disregarded the Brexit referendum and didn't cast a vote. They didn't believe that the UK would actually choose to leave the European Union, so they didn't take the threat seriously. Had they done so, it's likely the outcome would have been different.

Second, it was, in fact, only the English who voted for "Leave," and, even then, only by around a 6% lead (53% of voters, compared to 47% who voted "Remain"). In Northern Ireland, the majority voted "Remain" (56%), as did the majority in Scotland (62%)." You seem to forget, as many Americans do, that the UK consists of more than England.

Last, as a dual US-Canadian citizen, I assure you that a conservative in the UK (even one who voted "Leave"), a conservative in Europe, a conservative in Canada, or a conservative in Australia are all VERY different animals than an American conservative.

A conservative in any of these overwhelmingly liberal countries might agree with American conservatives on a couple of issues, but, beyond those, there are big differences in fundamental values. American conservatives play a WHOLE other game. I know conservative Brits who voted "Leave," and most, I'm willing to bet, dislike Trump. I know PLENTY of conservative Canadians, too (including my dad and other family members). The overwhelming majority didn't like Bush and are appalled by Trump. But most greatly respect Obama.
You sound like the Hillary supporters here. Still can't except the election results.

Your anecdotal "evidence" is of little value.

And yes, I've been outside the U.S. I was in Europe at age 16 and 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies