Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Very unlikely chance of a filibuster. Wishful thinking .

Trump won folks. Get over it. He's not going to govern as a liberal.Hes not going to appoint someone Pelosi likes . Just ain't happening .
So now that we've established that, there is no rationale for Trumpeters to continue blaming Obama for Trump's decisions or referring to Obama's actions of years ago when people are unhappy with Trump's actions now. I will keep an open mind on Gorsuch because he seems to be a cautious, reasonable man. I admit I don't know much about his legal decisions but we'll soon find out as I see no way the Dems can avoid his appointment to the bench.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:13 AM

590 posts, read 554,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I don't really have a problem with this person. But, based on the news I've heard, it looks like the Democrats are going to sink to the Republicans' level, and obstruct.
I hope you're wrong and if Republicans obstruct, it's for legitimate reasons, usually to protect our values and the constitution.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:31 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
As a right leaning moderate/independent I've been pretty put off by a lot of Trumps EOs and public announcements, but I'm happy with this one. Gorsuch is a thoughtful judge who applies the law without prejudice, looking at his record. He strongly believes in the Constitution and judicial independence from the other two branches of government. He seems like a good, solid choice for the Supreme Court.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did I understand correctly that Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan worked for Gorsuch?
Not that I found, but I did come across this:
"Gorsuch is popular with current Supreme Court justices, and his clerks regularly are hired for a term on the high court, not just by conservatives but also by liberals such as Kagan and Justice Sonia Sotomayor."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.3625098af783

Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Not that I found, but I did come across this:
"Gorsuch is popular with current Supreme Court justices, and his clerks regularly are hired for a term on the high court, not just by conservatives but also by liberals such as Kagan and Justice Sonia Sotomayor."
Ok, the wording on that is somewhat different. According to that, it sounds like Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan hired clerks from Gorshuch. That makes more sense.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Pence stated this evening along with some other GOP congressmen that the reason for Garlands rejection was that it was an election year, can they just be honest as to why they denied his appointment. I hope Gorsuch is confirmed but this nonsense is getting old, why can't they just be honest instead of these phony excuses.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
In the environment of political theatre the left has no choice but to oppose him loudly while seeking donations while the right will support him while seeking donations.

Many posters are probably too young to remember that we went through exactly this with Justice Roberts. He was touted as horrible or awesome....grilled some by grandstanding politicians and then voted in favor of by a landslide.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:59 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Was funny listening to NPR the other day as protesters were descending on democrats for not being tough enough on Trump appointees.

Fine line when demonizing the opposition that if you do it too successfully you kinda back yourself into a corner on the topic. Republicans are in the same boat because of their rhetoric towards Obamacare.

Like always, 95% of the actions going on are grandstanding to help further political careers, solidify re-election and secure fund-raising $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies