Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:45 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Depending on the industry , you are wrong ! I am a designer in the automotive industry, my forte is interiors. Currently the major OEM I'm working for sends all it's Door Trim, Carpet, Package Tray, and Wiring to Mexico. All our class "a" surfacing goes to India. And that is just on the Interior, there are many more commodities that do the same. All those $100k a year jobs used to be done here in the US, so don't tell me jobs are leaving, because it simply isn't true.
What you are saying is the jobs you care about are leaving. But there are lots of other jobs that are being created all the time and in fact there are more new jobs than the ones that left for Mexico. Unemployment is at a low point. This is what I am saying - rather than trying to stop something that is unstoppable, put our energy into giving you access to the new industries that are appearing.

Over the long run it will weaken America to make us the king of yesterday's industries. If we do that we are losing focus on tomorrow's industries and China will fill that void. Is that what you want, for America to become a nation of whiners about how unfair the world is instead of bucking it up and staying the number 1 economy in the world?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:44 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Just STOP taking-in 3rd-world savages, no Muslims.

How about we take-in some of those poor people in South Africa....SA is
becoming another Zimbabwe.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:49 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
The vast majority of immigrants aren't moving to the Rust Belt, they are moving to America's major metropolitan areas such as New York, LA, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Silicon Valley, etc. If the people from economically depressed industrial and rural areas are willing to move to these large cities, which are the economic engines of our country, to work construction, restaurant, and hospitality industry jobs, then yes we can halt immigration. If they are not willing to leave their economically stagnant areas for the big cities then immigration will need to continue.

It's the American workers that are already living in the larger cities and suburbs that have lost their jobs to cheap foreigners both legal and illegal. There is no shortage of American workers in those areas. It's all about greed on the part of the employers.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 PM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
The vast majority of immigrants aren't moving to the Rust Belt, they are moving to America's major metropolitan areas such as New York, LA, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Silicon Valley, etc. If the people from economically depressed industrial and rural areas are willing to move to these large cities, which are the economic engines of our country, to work construction, restaurant, and hospitality industry jobs, then yes we can halt immigration. If they are not willing to leave their economically stagnant areas for the big cities then immigration will need to continue.

Right, let's all move to the big cities, pay $2k a month for an apartment, $200 just to park a car and for what ? A $50k a year job ? Not all of us are paper pushers. My wife being in finance might be able to find something, but i don't think there are too many design jobs in the coastal areas. And yes, i admit i don't want to leave my house, and cabin on a rural lake and all the toys to go live in NYC for instance. Why do you think many of us fight this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
What you are saying is the jobs you care about are leaving. But there are lots of other jobs that are being created all the time and in fact there are more new jobs than the ones that left for Mexico. Unemployment is at a low point. This is what I am saying - rather than trying to stop something that is unstoppable, put our energy into giving you access to the new industries that are appearing.

Over the long run it will weaken America to make us the king of yesterday's industries. If we do that we are losing focus on tomorrow's industries and China will fill that void. Is that what you want, for America to become a nation of whiners about how unfair the world is instead of bucking it up and staying the number 1 economy in the world?

Unemployment is not at a low, many have just dropped out of the job market. Also many are underemployed, working at minimum wage jobs or part time ones. Can you share what these new emerging careers are ? Ones that pay more than $40k a year without having to go $80k into debt for college loans? And yes i do care about the skilled jobs that are leaving. I have since the 80's when i first started seeing it happen.

I just don't get why many are so willing to just let it all go. Sure it might be selfish, we in the US have a high standard of living and globalism lowers that, while raising other countries , hence the middle classes emerging in countries that had none before. I guess i'm not about that equalization. That old timer from years ago, Ross Perot was absolutely spot on.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,609 times
Quote:
Right, let's all move to the big cities, pay $2k a month for an apartment, $200 just to park a car and for what ? A $50k a year job ? Not all of us are paper pushers. My wife being in finance might be able to find something, but i don't think there are too many design jobs in the coastal areas. And yes, i admit i don't want to leave my house, and cabin on a rural lake and all the toys to go live in NYC for instance. Why do you think many of us fight this ?

Unemployment is not at a low, many have just dropped out of the job market. Also many are underemployed, working at minimum wage jobs or part time ones. Can you share what these new emerging careers are ? Ones that pay more than $40k a year without having to go $80k into debt for college loans? And yes i do care about the skilled jobs that are leaving. I have since the 80's when i first started seeing it happen.

I just don't get why many are so willing to just let it all go. Sure it might be selfish, we in the US have a high standard of living and globalism lowers that, while raising other countries , hence the middle classes emerging in countries that had none before. I guess i'm not about that equalization. That old timer from years ago, Ross Perot was absolutely spot on.
That's fine. Everyone should be able to live in the part of the country that they want to. I just don't want to hear people complain about there not being jobs when there's plenty of jobs and opportunities in the cities but they refuse to move. People have to move to where the jobs are not vice versa.

Job Growth Focused on Largest Cities – Daily Yonder

The Geography of Good Jobs - CityLab

Old 02-02-2017, 09:25 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
There is tremendous opportunity in the trades as well. The problem here (and back in WV when I lived there 8 years ago ) is that there is a huge issue with willingness to work in the younger generations.

And that crosses ALL socio-economic backgrounds.

I can't tell you how many of my clients struggle to gind guys willing to work their way up the trade ladder.

Jobs are here.. You just have to want to work and learn a trade!

Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 PM

1,229 posts, read 858,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Poor Fiyero! You don't understand that Americans can't get deported to other countries.

Don't mind him....

He's just upset because he knows/understands the DC workforce---and him along with it--- is going to be reduced in both size and scope.

Along with that, housing prices in the beltway will come down, placing many of them underwater and zapping their ability to use home equity as an atm down the road.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:

From what I've been reading there is a lack of skilled labor to fill manufacturing jobs. You don't need a PhD, but a high school diploma is not enough. Vocational school or Junior College will help. Why should we fight to retain jobs in coal mining and steel making that are dangerous and low paying? Look to the future not the past.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
And yes, i admit i don't want to leave my house, and cabin on a rural lake and all the toys to go live in NYC for instance. Why do you think many of us fight this ?
I get that. Nobody wants his life disrupted. But think of this as a war, and in a war sacrifices have to be made so that in the end the whole country is lifted up. That is what is going on with the globalization vs. isolation argument. The entire world has moved to a globalized economy and that started 30 years ago. Back then the US contributed more than 50% to global GDP. We now contribute about 25%. The world is not going to stop for us and let us go back to 30 years ago. It can now do without us.

If we do what Trump wants and become isolated we will win a tactical battle (short term jobs) but we will lose our advantage in competing globally. Ten years from now we will be a second tier player and we will end up with less jobs and have lost our dominate global position. We won a battle but lost the war. You will do better for a while but your kids will pay for it.

Quote:
Can you share what these new emerging careers are ? Ones that pay more than $40k a year without having to go $80k into debt for college loans? And yes i do care about the skilled jobs that are leaving. I have since the 80's when i first started seeing it happen.
US has a huge advantage in intellectual property and high tech. All of that requires an educated populace. We are the leading innovators in everything. Bio-tech, renewable energy (which everyone else in the world is embracing except the US), computers, software, robotics, nano-technology, etc.

Yes it will likely require education. China is highly educated and taking full advantage of that. So why can't we? An 80k investment in education for a career that will net you $3 million over your lifetime is a good investment.

Quote:
I just don't get why many are so willing to just let it all go.
Things change. You are not letting go; it was already lost.

The key here is for America to stay on top of its game. I like the NFL and this reminds me of when a team like the Packers had to decide whether to keep Brett Favre or let him go. He was great but is no longer the same. You can dump Favre and move ahead or you can stay mired in his past glories and keep him around and end up losing games. The same is true with America. Are we mired in the past or going to move forward?

Old 02-03-2017, 05:13 AM

379 posts, read 255,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Just STOP taking-in 3rd-world savages, no Muslims.

How about we take-in some of those poor people in South Africa....SA is
becoming another Zimbabwe.
That would involve taking in more white immigrants, which isn't cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies