Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 01:30 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My Grandparents were 100% German born of German immigrants. During WWI they were the victims of terrible backlash and discrimination but they were highly skilled farmers and carpenters. They prospered despite the discrimination because they did the best work. My Grandpa at 70 years old built the house I grew up in. He was a talented guy and everyone knew it, even though he was hated for who he was and who he was born to.

Sound familiar? You have to stop obsessing with the people that dislike you in your head and make your own life in this world.

The Lord gives you ONE CHANCE. What are you going to do with it today?

BTW, if you think I said "All black people are lazy and on welfare" That is a big part of your problem. You have a screwed up perception.
Even under white discrimination there was still opportunities and avenues for not only getting financing but getting assistance, there was no documents in home Mortgage titles, that said, "could not be sold to German, French or any such things", but no only was that clause there, it was in the deed to the first house I ever bought...

None can compare their situation with black life in American, (everyone knows no other group has been treated to the degree and level that blacks were) there is absolutely no ethnic group that came to America over the past 300 yrs that did not engage to discriminate against black people, even if they felt some areas of discrimination by other whites upon themselves, they; themselves, still engaged even more harsher discrimination's against black people.

Today, I know many white people whom are congenial in non measuring ways..... and its getting better among all people as time evolves.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Of course, we all know black ghettos are beacons of high living standards and peaceful neighbors. Everyone is trying to get into them to live, songs have been written about how wonderful life is there, movies produced showing such wonderful places.

Unfortunately, because demand is so high to move into these places, prices are not affordable for many people, such as the family in this story.
Don't let the secret out

Old 02-07-2017, 01:34 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Of course, we all know black ghettos are beacons of high living standards and peaceful neighbors. Everyone is trying to get into them to live, songs have been written about how wonderful life is there, movies produced showing such wonderful places.

Unfortunately, because demand is so high to move into these places, prices are not affordable for many people, such as the family in this story.
hello, strawman.

edit: and gentrification is a thing, bud.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:57 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,882 times
I've only gotten back in this thread and only scrolled through the last 2 pages. But I see the War on Drugs has been mentioned.

The War on Drugs has in practice been aimed disproportionately at blacks. Consequently, it is one of the institutional racisms structurally in place to disenfranchise ethnic Black-Americans.

I use the word disenfranchise here to mean dis-empower, and not just by denied votes, but economically. That is one consequence that comes with mass incarceration with high rates of felony convictions.

By making it illegal--like making alcohol illegal--violent hoodlums get involved. When the mafia ran alcohol and gambling they used violence to enforce things. One they were taken out the legit coporations used non-violent means to increase their corner on a market and to collect debt. If someone robbed their businesses the called police, not hit men.

Ending the War on Drugs would result in similar. Quality control of the product would be up and prices would be down.

But the industrial parks that have been built up in surrounding counties and distant suburbs, combined with reduction in routes and operational times of public transportation in the traditional cities with black populations of size is one of the biggest institutional racism that has been going on for decades.

The better thing for Black-Americans would to become less dependent on either political party. Since the vast majority of Black-Americans are Democrats that means becoming less dependent on the Democratic Party. You don't need that party to learn a skilled trade or to become an accountant or to make a career out of the military. Or whatever. Look at the famous Property Brothers, or reality TV shows on tattoo artists. White people making a lot of money outside of the traditional white collar trades.

Really, little to no change for the better is going to happen in Black-America on a whole. It will be Black-Americas own fault. And the rest of the country needs to just move ahead.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
I've only gotten back in this thread and only scrolled through the last 2 pages. But I see the War on Drugs has been mentioned.

The War on Drugs has in practice been aimed disproportionately at blacks. Consequently, it is one of the institutional racisms structurally in place to disenfranchise ethnic Black-Americans.

I use the word disenfranchise here to mean dis-empower, and not just by denied votes, but economically. That is one consequence that comes with mass incarceration with high rates of felony convictions.

By making it illegal--like making alcohol illegal--violent hoodlums get involved. When the mafia ran alcohol and gambling they used violence to enforce things. One they were taken out the legit coporations used non-violent means to increase their corner on a market and to collect debt. If someone robbed their businesses the called police, not hit men.

Ending the War on Drugs would result in similar. Quality control of the product would be up and prices would be down.

But the industrial parks that have been built up in surrounding counties and distant suburbs, combined with reduction in routes and operational times of public transportation in the traditional cities with black populations of size is one of the biggest institutional racism that has been going on for decades.

The better thing for Black-Americans would to become less dependent on either political party. Since the vast majority of Black-Americans are Democrats that means becoming less dependent on the Democratic Party. You don't need that party to learn a skilled trade or to become an accountant or to make a career out of the military. Or whatever. Look at the famous Property Brothers, or reality TV shows on tattoo artists. White people making a lot of money outside of the traditional white collar trades.

Really, little to no change for the better is going to happen in Black-America on a whole. It will be Black-Americas own fault. And the rest of the country needs to just move ahead.
Actually the Spin Around time is here... 40 yrs has passed since the rise of drug and the flame of disco of the 70's sent a flash blast through society, and it has been 30 yrs since the drug rage of the 1980's destablized working poor American and diminished school capacity even further than what the disco era did... Now, is the turn around, where young black people have found their way through the maze and other are finding their way through the maze, It will take some of the leaders to help... but the key for black people is, move in and take a strong stand in the area people seem to have forgotten, which is in the vocation and technical skilled areas, if one notes, these areas remain consistent in growth, no matter what wave of innovation comes along, because people require the vocational fields and with the use of computers they are less labor intensive, but more effecient, as well as the technical areas, with the test units that exist today... because when people equip themselves in these ways, the push further in their pursuit to learn more, they go for higher educations, they create business and they move up and expand their operations, their positions and their competency and presences is a positive magnet for the young people. There are so many technically skilled young black people, who can do amazing things with computers, but that door is current not one that is easy for them to open, venture capitalist are not yet ready to talk to black people, and tech industry is busy focusing on foreigners from nations except nations where there is black people.

But mark my words, it will be again, black people that will put another master link in the chain of progress.

If one look back and ask who is Mark Dean, and think about the very same computer you are using, and go forward and look into cell phone advances and many other areas... The publicity is not there but the skill, know how, the creativity and the willingness to innovate is and has been there. It cannot be ignored continually... we learned that via what happen with music, what happen with sports, any sport, and practically all sports... and many other areas of many professions.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:30 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Go to Africa and see for yourself. In Africa, it's called bushmeat. They kill and eat just about anything alive.

The food UN flew in are mostly sold for cash by the local warlords.
Where in Africa? Where in the over 50 countries in Africa? Local warlords where? Not every country has an ongoing war.

Who kills and eats just about everything alive? Certainly not African Muslims, Sabbatarian Christian Africans etc.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
The reason that many whites feel "superior" is because WE keep treating them as if they are.

WE have done this to ourselves with a perpetual "white man's ice is colder" mentality.

EVERYTHING "white" is better (according to black folks)

White schools are better
White neighborhoods are better
White women are better
White men are better
White children are better
White companies are better
White banks are better
White schools are better
White people's hair is better
White skin is better
White features are better

Of course white people don't view "US" as equals because "WE" have told them otherwise. "WE" are so busy chasing/begging/bowing/scraping/shucking/jiving for white approval that we have undermined our own selves. Its sad and its sick.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:38 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The reason that many whites feel "superior" is because WE keep treating them as if they are.

WE have done this to ourselves with a perpetual "white man's ice is colder" mentality.

EVERYTHING "white" is better (according to black folks)

White schools are better
White neighborhoods are better
White women are better
White men are better
White children are better
White companies are better
White banks are better
White schools are better
White people's hair is better
White skin is better
White features are better

Of course white people don't view "US" as equals because "WE" have told them otherwise. "WE" are so busy chasing/begging/bowing/scraping/shucking/jiving for white approval that we have undermined our own selves. Its sad and it sick.
I agree with schools and neighborhoods, generally speaking.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:43 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I started a thread a while back asking black people about how much racisms affect their day to day lives. I've seen a few other threads on the subject here and it seemed like the majority of black people that I can recall said that racism wasn't an issue that they dealt with on a day to day basis, in general. I might be a bit fuzzy on it, but that's how I remember it. Probably should have been a poll I suppose. Not saying racism doesn't exist at all, not saying that, just saying what I remember from the thread. I'm not black so I can't speak with any authority on how bad racism is or isn't for the average everyday black person.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:50 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Most white Americans (on one level or another) do NOT like black people (individually or in the collective) so I wish that "WE" would stop trying to gain their approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies