Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
All I need to know is this: NVDA is sitting at $120 and earnings come out Thursday.

The day my HTC Vive came in on April 6 2016, I bought 1000 shares of nVidia, at $35.50 / share, because I thought nVidia and VR were a match made in heaven (just like the GeForce and Quake 3 / Unreal Tournament were a great match back in late 1999). That turned out to be an unbelievable bet. I sold off half of my shares just before the end of the year after the Trump Bump for $110 -- so that netted me over $37K in profit (before tax). My remaining 500 shares are up $84.65 per share as of now, or over $42K. I've just been beside myself watching this thing grow. Should have put everything I had in back in April.

Wondering if I should sell before earnings or buy more before earnings.........................
Returning to wrap up. Ended up buying 500 more yesterday at $116. The pessimists can pi$$ off. Another earnings expectation BEAT for nVidia yesterday after the bell. Sold 1000 at the open for $120. $44,237 profit taken today on top of the $37,245 profit taken in December. Total $81,482 before tax ($61K after). This is the most impressive and momentous tech company in the world and one I personally use the products of. Thanks nVidia, we shall meet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 07:51 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not when it was claimed the stock market would crash should he be elected.

It's the only reason for bringing it up.

It's right there in the OP.
Who says he won't crash it? Give him time. He's not even been in office a month yet.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not when it was claimed the stock market would crash should he be elected.

It's the only reason for bringing it up.

It's right there in the OP.
I don't know how many "claimed the stock market would crash" or who they were but sure seems to me the use of that claim is still pretty "disingenuous (or dishonest)" all considered. Another interesting approach to yet again suggest Trump was a good choice for POTUS. I don't expect Trump supporters to understand what is really going on in the markets, because to do so is to understand that much of what is happening is DESPITE Trump, not thanks to Trump! At a minimum, the damage Trump is doing has been mitigated by his inability to go through with his promises and/or indecision along those lines, ultimately keeping Trump from doing all the nutty things as he promised.

Here for example is a bit of clarity about this for people who can get beyond the headlines of these stories, and/or really want to understand the truth of these matters...

Emerging Market Assets Plunged After Trump Won. This Year They've Been On a Massive Tear.

Both asset classes are enjoying their best start to a year since 2011, buoyed by the idea that the initial doom-and-gloom reaction to Donald Trump’s election was overdone considering that his economic policies -- particularly his threats of protectionism -- appear to still be in flux.

The MSCI Emerging Markets Index of stocks plunged 7 percent in the days after Trump won office, while a Bloomberg gauge of corporate debt from developing countries posted the worst selloff in three years.

Investors were panicking at the idea of Trump making good on his promise to put “America First,” anticipating a slew of trade barriers that would damp exports, send the dollar soaring and -- to the biggest pessimists -- possibly lead to a global recession.

Those concerns abated in the weeks after the election, and while some analysts and investors say assets seem to be underpricing the risk of Trump’s trade policies, others focused on several bullish signs for both emerging-market stocks and bonds. They cite the pickup in global growth forecasts as the euro-area economy is rebounding amid stimulus programs and a pullback in the dollar following concern a stronger greenback was threatening to imperil developing nations’ competitiveness.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ocks-and-bonds

Old 02-10-2017, 02:09 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I don't expect Trump supporters to understand what is really going on in the markets, because to do so is to understand that much of what is happening is DESPITE Trump, not thanks to Trump!
No. the Trump rally in the stock market is due to the fact that investors are optimistic that President Trump's policies will boost economic growth.

Another record high in the stock market today. MORE WINNING!

Old 02-10-2017, 02:12 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,822 times
Of course they are. Wall Street knows who's in its pockets: all bets are off, the sky's the limit. 1980s redux. Get ready for the next meltdown.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:17 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
The stock market spends the majority of its time going up.

Crediting this rise to a POTUS in power all of 2.5 weeks is an exercise in mindless cheerleading.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Oh, come on ! The man is a miracle worker..........only 3 weeks on the job and the economy is going through the roof, tons of people are back at work making YUGE amounts, and we are on the verge of a cure for Cancer.

All this in just 3 weeks !!!! ( They are going to be so let down when the reality of their choice hits them squarely between the eyes )

Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
In other news.....

The stock market hit another all-time record high today.

FTW

Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Trump has little to do with stocks.

Continued low interest rates and lots of false profit and loss statements from giant companies. All this, plus all the violent Muslims in Europe is sending lots of investment here after all the terror and rapes make investments there undesirable.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Trump has little to do with stocks.

Continued low interest rates and lots of false profit and loss statements from giant companies. All this, plus all the violent Muslims in Europe is sending lots of investment here after all the terror and rapes make investments there undesirable.
Not altogether true either...

Stock investors are an interesting group and many will attempt to foretell what will come of policies promoted by the POTUS that may have an impact on future company earnings/growth in general. There are many other factors that more sophisticated investors will consider as well of course, but Trump's promise and/or inclination to lower taxes on businesses and reduce regulations can and is at least some source of optimism for those investors who see this as a "win" for business interests in America at least in the short term.

Whether that all translates to the average American as a "win" for them as well, that's another question that stock investors care much less about. Seems Trump supporters could care less as well...

Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
No. the Trump rally in the stock market is due to the fact that investors are optimistic that President Trump's policies will boost economic growth.

Another record high in the stock market today. MORE WINNING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In other news.....

The stock market hit another all-time record high today.

FTW
22nd time the markets have closed at a new high since Nov 8th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Who says he won't crash it? Give him time. He's not even been in office a month yet.
Nice to see you rooting for another crash.

Sad. Bigly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies