Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
stop with the whole color blind speech. I was just stating this stuff as a matter of fact. New England obviously stands out for have so many white guys at skill positions on offense. And people generally tend to like athletes that look like them. Not even saying its wrong. But a racist is going to look at Tom Brady throwing to Amendola, Chris Hogan, Gronk, and Edelman and say..."that's my team".
And non-racist fans are going to look at those Super Bowl appearances and say 'They were too damn white!" ?

Sounds like 'alternate facts' have invaded sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 03:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
The Patriots hire great players. Race has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
I'm quite happy that a team from Georgia got crushed by a gang of Yanks from New England.

Last thing I wanna see is a parade down Peachtree Street. I hate Atlanta.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:35 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Funny you would say "orange
Nah, it would've been funny if I said con-men.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:36 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,959 times
Life long New Englander, life long Patriots fan and life long Leftist here.

This is the first time I've heard the Patriots labeled 'racist'.

Utter nonsense.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:51 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I prefer to root for teams that don't cheat.

I wouldn't say that that the Pats are a racist organization, but their owner, head coach and QB are Trump supporters which means they at least have a high tolerance for racism.
It suggest the opposite. Trump was by far the least-racist of the Presidential candidates in 2016.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:54 PM

431 posts, read 257,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, the coaching staff is underutilized based on population. However, the team as well as many other teams, are lacking in non-minority representation far more than the Patriots' coaching staff is.

For the three teams in which half the coaching staff are minorities, this is under utilization of non-minorities, and should receive the same criticism as the Patriots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Life long New Englander, life long Patriots fan and life long Leftist here.

This is the first time I've heard the Patriots labeled 'racist'.

Utter nonsense.
It is nonsense, but it's another method many other leftist in the media are running with to make a point against the current administration. They are down playing the fact this is a very good team and hyping up how some players will not attend the white house ceremonies because of the political views of some of their players. I'm curious to see how the "Patriot Way" handles this one; not go to white house because of the (sports) media pressure, hire more black coaches and wide receivers. It is nonsense and ridiculous.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:55 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
the team is not racist or anything like that, it's just that many racists like the team for obvious reasons. It's a very white team by NFL standards.

Did it ever dawn on you that white people, just like minorities can enjoy seeing people that look like them playing a sport without it being racist?

I ask because so often the liberal mantra is that blacks, browns, etc., or even women see someone that looks like them doing something, and it inspires them. To some extent that is probably true for at least some people, though others do not need racial or gender motivations to succeed.
Regardless, it is framed in a positive way, not a racist/sexist one.
Yet, if white people have the same feelings, it is derided as something wrong or evil.

The facts are that the overwhelming majority of people who buy tickets to sporting events are white. This is also true of the NBA which has become overwhelmingly black.
Unlike civil service/government jobs where race and gender is put above skill/experience, our sports teams are based on the the best person for the job.
So rest assured if fans of a successful all black team were suddenly forced to hire a bunch of white players (i.e. affirmative action in sports), they would be outraged.

The same people stirring the grievance pot about the Patriots being too white, are the ones who always look for things to complain about, because they see life through a racial lens. So when the Boston Celtics were mostly white, these people with racial chips on their shoulders complained. Heck it was not as if the Celtics were losing. No they were either champs or winning most of their games. The same is true of Duke basketball, with fools infected with liberalism saying they were too white, despite winning the national championships.

Still these same malcontents defend affirmative action type programs, even when an incompetent woman (who has no business being a firefighter) causes people to die or be injured. The same is true of minorities that are hired or promoted based on their skin color, not their ability to do the job. But criticize the department for hiring them in the first place, and they are accused of being racist, even though it is a fact that is being uttered.

No one is claiming that the Patriots have been one of the most successful teams in history because they are more white than other teams. No, it is because they have assembled a group of players and coaches who happen to be very skilled, and play well together. That includes the minorities on the team, just not the white players.
As usual, it is liberalism that motivates this nonsense, which is much to do about nothing!

BTW - I do not like the Patriots, and it has been for a long time, going back to the snow plow incident. Yet I can still appreciate their skill and coaching, even though I normally pull for their opponents.

`

Old 02-09-2017, 04:01 PM

431 posts, read 257,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Did it ever dawn on you that white people, just like minorities can enjoy seeing people that look like them playing a sport without it being racist?

I ask because so often the liberal mantra is that blacks, browns, etc., or even women see someone that looks like them doing something, and it inspires them. To some extent that is probably true for at least some people, though others do not need racial or gender motivations to succeed.
Regardless, it is framed in a positive way, not a racist/sexist one.
Yet, if white people have the same feelings, it is derided as something wrong or evil.

The facts are that the overwhelming majority of people who buy tickets to sporting events are white. This is also true of the NBA which has become overwhelmingly black.
Unlike civil service/government jobs where race and gender is put above skill/experience, our sports teams are based on the the best person for the job.
So rest assured if fans of a successful all black team were suddenly forced to hire a bunch of white players (i.e. affirmative action in sports), they would be outraged.

The same people stirring the grievance pot about the Patriots being too white, are the ones who always look for things to complain about, because they see life through a racial lens. So when the Boston Celtics were mostly white, these people with racial chips on their shoulders complained. Heck it was not as if the Celtics were losing. No they were either champs or winning most of their games. The same is true of Duke basketball, with fools infected with liberalism saying they were too white, despite winning the national championships.

Still these same malcontents defend affirmative action type programs, even when an incompetent woman (who has no business being a firefighter) causes people to die or be injured. The same is true of minorities that are hired or promoted based on their skin color, not their ability to do the job. But criticize the department for hiring them in the first place, and they are accused of being racist, even though it is a fact that is being uttered.

No one is claiming that the Patriots have been one of the most successful teams in history because they are more white than other teams. No, it is because they have assembled a group of players and coaches who happen to be very skilled, and play well together. That includes the minorities on the team, just not the white players.
As usual, it is liberalism that motivates this nonsense, which is much to do about nothing!

BTW - I do not like the Patriots, and it has been for a long time, going back to the snow plow incident. Yet I can still appreciate their skill and coaching, even though I normally pull for their opponents.

`
Well said...

Old 02-09-2017, 04:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's a very GOOD team! And that's coming from a natural enemy, a lifelong Jets fan.

I don't believe there's a team in the league that would give a rat's patootie if they had green players, orange player, polka-dotted players as long as they felt they had the best available at their respective positions.
Quote:
stop with the whole color blind speech. I was just stating this stuff as a matter of fact. New England obviously stands out for have so many white guys at skill positions on offense. And people generally tend to like athletes that look like them. Not even saying its wrong. But a racist is going to look at Tom Brady throwing to Amendola, Chris Hogan, Gronk, and Edelman and say..."that's my team".
burdell is absolutely right!! this constant focus on race is rubbish and counter productive. the patriots are a winning TEAM, and brady is a top notch quarterback, race has nothing to do with it. and this comes from a long time cowboys fan.

there is so much more to athletics than race, work ethic, skill, training, attitude, etc. when are people going to finally realize that the color of a persons skin means nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies