Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
im starting to get worried this is gonna start hitting VA soon...
It likely already has, it seems geographic and socio-economic boundaries to addiction are things of the past.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2...rbs#.zlxNWsRQs

Old 02-12-2017, 07:13 PM

626 posts, read 380,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's already there.

It's not heroin in most cases causing the overdoses but synthetics and fentanyl.
Dang really? Ts spreading like wildfire... Has it hit the mountains in TN and NC too?

I need to read more about this sorry.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:15 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Dang really? Ts spreading like wildfire... Has it hit the mountains in TN and NC too?

Probably. You'll likely see a fair amount of Meth in those areas too.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
We could eliminate the State, allow people do as they wish as long as they uphold the non-aggression principle, and then use non-violent means to try to persuade folks into making choices that are better for all of us.

But we've been down this road before and you folks just aren't ready for freedom.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:

Don't know about the mountains but most definitely in eastern NC.

4 NC towns in top 20 nationally for opioid abuse, study finds | WNCN

Old 02-12-2017, 07:30 PM

993 posts, read 766,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I am not callous (I lost two stepsons to drugs and alcohol and a husband to alcohol - and all were from TX, your area as a matter of fact) but this whole mess of ODs IS getting out of hand in some areas in particular.

Before the final OD where nothing can save these people is often a long series of close calls and a life lost to the vagaries of drug use etc. Is it really worth rescuing all of these people who are hell bent on killing themselves it seems, over and over, at great expense - especially when others with legitimate health crises may be waiting or not getting good care while someone is saved from an OD death?

Families are devastated and often people are robbed or otherwise hurt by those who indulge. I loved all my lost souls but except for my husband (who died primarily because of what he went through with his sons and the guilt he felt because he didn't want to abandon them but didn't really know what else to do at some points) it was almost a relief when the end came. There is really little real help (that can be afforded) for many of these people - and in some areas the kids are now getting hooked in GRADE SCHOOL. Their entire development ceases at that point so even if they are 'rescued' from it all later in life, they never really catch up.

In many places too, fentanyl is a growing problem - and a single grain of it can kill someone very quickly from what I have heard - and post offices are now having to screen even letters because such a small bit can be sent easily in the mail. There is always some new drug. I read the other day that young teens are now buying morning glory seeds because they are like LSD (but milder) and give a hallucinatory high. Hardware stores in the north are being cleaned out of seeds (by teens who have never planted a garden .. but certainly won't in a snowbank) in February ... seeds that small store may not sell one package a summer of to adults. There is always some new thing coming along and people willing to test the limits for a high.

Frankly I am beginning to think we should drop the transgender training that seems to start in kindergarten and start spending that time and money on getting kids educated about drugs!

So no .. I am not callous but I see the problems for society with what is happening right now with drugs and I am less and less interested in us trying to rescue those who are already really lost. I have great empathy for those who are dealing with kids or spouses etc who are drug addicted, believe me - and I pray none of them lose their loved ones but this kind of epidemic tells us something has to give - and if someone has to go, perhaps it should be those who played with that kind of fire (it probably will be eventually anyway if they don't/can't stop). I am not so sure I would vote for someone OD'ing being rescued from themselves any more.
My 28 yo son is in the hospital dying from a heart condition brought about by years of IV drug use. We've spent over 200k on treatment over the years. Despite the best care money can buy, he cannot stay sober.

For 30 years I lived next door to NIH (National Institutes of Health). Many of my neighbors were amongst the world's top scientists and doctors. From talking with them and other leaders in the addictions field, there is a lot science doesn't know yet about addiction...to put it simply. Why can some people stay sober and others, like my son, can't? Why?

Is it because my son is devoid of moral fiber? A worthless throw away person? Will the world be better off without my son? I'm grieving. Relief is the last thing I'm feeling.

Not for a minute do I believe you had a husband and two stepsons die. No one talks so dispassionately about the loved one they've lost.

And the whining about "transgender training?" What's wrong with you? Why is it an either or choice....what, there can't be drug education because of what you call "transgender training?" What is wrong with you?

Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
My 28 yo son is in the hospital dying from a heart condition brought about by years of IV drug use. We've spent over 200k on treatment over the years. Despite the best care money can buy, he cannot stay sober.

For 30 years I lived next door to NIH (National Institutes of Health). Many of my neighbors were amongst the world's top scientists and doctors. From talking with them and other leaders in the addictions field, there is a lot science doesn't know yet about addiction...to put it simply. Why can some people stay sober and others, like my son, can't? Why?

Is it because my son is devoid of moral fiber? A worthless throw away person? Will the world be better off without my son? I'm grieving. Relief is the last thing I'm feeling.

Not for a minute do I believe you had a husband and two stepsons die. No one talks so dispassionately about the loved one they've lost.

And the whining about "transgender training?" What's wrong with you? Why is it an either or choice....what, there can't be drug education because of what you call "transgender training?" What is wrong with you?
My deepest sympathies.

Addiction is crazy. We don't know everything and probably think we know more than we actually do.

Just like with depression brain chemistry is a huge component and some can alter it, others cannot and commit suicide.

I believe it has nothing to do with his morals. Cognitive therapy, exercise, diet, sleep and support are the best things we have to fight against both addiction and depression. Drugs are a gray area and one size doesn't fit all. What I think is clear by now is that a good portion of folks with the genetic predisposition to addiction and depression are simply incapable of physically changing their brain chemistry despite the necessary adjustments. We are fragile...it's as simple as that.

I know it means next to nothing on a message board and I can't imagine the loss of a child but my hope is somewhere inside your grief you can find a little relief knowing these facts. There's literally nothing you could have done to avoid this terrible situation.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:28 PM

993 posts, read 766,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My deepest sympathies.

Addiction is crazy. We don't know everything and probably think we know more than we actually do.

Just like with depression brain chemistry is a huge component and some can alter it, others cannot and commit suicide.

I believe it has nothing to do with his morals. Cognitive therapy, exercise, diet, sleep and support are the best things we have to fight against both addiction and depression. Drugs are a gray area and one size doesn't fit all. What I think is clear by now is that a good portion of folks with the genetic predisposition to addiction and depression are simply incapable of physically changing their brain chemistry despite the necessary adjustments. We are fragile...it's as simple as that.

I know it means next to nothing on a message board and I can't imagine the loss of a child but my hope is somewhere inside your grief you can find a little relief knowing these facts. There's literally nothing you could have done to avoid this terrible situation.
Thank you. This helps and thank you for taking time to reach out. It's been a 9 year roller coaster ride that will be ending soon.

Look, we've been lucky in a way. If you can call it that. We are able to afford the best care not only for our son, but for us too.We understand it's basically a genetic luck of the draw. We've had good supportive therapy from the most caring professionals imaginable.

My son has suffered from depression/anxiety/ADD since childhood. I've suffered from depression most of my life (I'm well treated) and I'm a 15 year recovering alcoholic. My mom is an alcoholic. My grandfather committed suicide during a depressive episode. My great-grandmother on that side of the family was probably bipolar from the stories I've heard. She died in "Home for the Incurables" in New Orleans in her 50s.

I have a 31 yo daughter and she is fine. My husband has never suffered from mood disorders and has never cared for alcohol or anything that distorts his mood. He has no need to escape/numb out because his brain chemistry is stable. Neither does my daughter. Both of our children were raised with the same love, commitment and humor.

I've turned to CD in the past few weeks as a quick escape....I can't concentrate enough to read a book. But I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this post. That wasn't wise considering how raw I am.

Anyway, thanks for reaching out. You did help me.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Thank you. This helps and thank you for taking time to reach out. It's been a 9 year roller coaster ride that will be ending soon.

Look, we've been lucky in a way. If you can call it that. We are able to afford the best care not only for our son, but for us too.We understand it's basically a genetic luck of the draw. We've had good supportive therapy from the most caring professionals imaginable.

My son has suffered from depression/anxiety/ADD since childhood. I've suffered from depression most of my life (I'm well treated) and I'm a 15 year recovering alcoholic. My mom is an alcoholic. My grandfather committed suicide during a depressive episode. My great-grandmother on that side of the family was probably bipolar from the stories I've heard. She died in "Home for the Incurables" in New Orleans in her 50s.

I have a 31 yo daughter and she is fine. My husband has never suffered from mood disorders and has never cared for alcohol or anything that distorts his mood. He has no need to escape/numb out because his brain chemistry is stable. Neither does my daughter. Both of our children were raised with the same love, commitment and humor.

I've turned to CD in the past few weeks as a quick escape....I can't concentrate enough to read a book. But I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this post. That wasn't wise considering how raw I am.

Anyway, thanks for reaching out. You did help me.
You're welcome.

The variations within the genetic family are amazing aren't they?

My sister-in-law's family has a long history with bipolar and general depression. Two sisters: one takes Meds and was stabilized relatively quickly. Of course the battle is daily and you never let your guard down but for 25 years she's been doing very well. What a bad luck of the draw to have it but great luck that the brain responded. Her sister has not been so lucky. Various treatments/drugs/the whole long ordeal you know. It's done next to nothing in relieving her pain.

Right there in the same immediate family two years apart...siblings. We're still throwing darts at the board with a blindfold on for the most part IMO. You think about depression and addiction and how life as a whole is simply manipulating neurons to release brain chemicals. That's it. Our ability to love, hate, sacrifice our life, take a life in anger...all at the mercy of our brain chemistry that has evolved for hundreds of thousands of years. And we only get one lifetime...usually 75-80 years...to figure it out. That's a daunting task.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,563 times
I more mad because of these losers are the main cause to get our cough meds to be behind the counter, even getting gas treatment for our cars requires a ID now. I mean seriously between Meth heads and crackheads, they put a damper on the OTC drugs that we normal people would buy. Sorry, play with fire your going to get burn. You know once you start shooting up or snorting the crack your going to get additive. Its what we normal people call common educated sense. If they want help, they need to step up and ask for it, than it becomes our problem. But if they dont choose to be helped, than its GODs (karma) problem. We got enough issues to deal with.. as these keep happing in small towns, it ties up resources. There was a case were all the EMTs were out dealing with a OD mob, while a mother lost her child because of no help could come. So again.. if you had one medic in your town. and u get 2 calls one is OD and other evolves a child what would you choose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies