Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
While I think GenX very much is it's own distinct generation, I say we as a whole are more like Boomers.

GenX was the last generation to grow up without the internet, and cell phones, and that is the real divide, and makes us closer to the Boomers.
Truth! I thought I was a hot sh1t with my boombox and then my amazing WALKMAN. lololol. We had an Atari and Space Invaders blew my mind.

Good times, good times. Except for the mohawk. WTF was I thinking?

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 02-14-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
HHmmm... that makes me a Gen Xer then instead of a late late boomer. I always thought Boomers went to 1964?
see that's the question

some people/sites say 1965.... Untitled Document .... Generational Names in the United States

others say 1961.... Who Is Generation X? Primer on a Lost Generation

the social security admin says 1964

so the real question is to the 'cuspers"... those born between 61 and 65....what are you a late boomer or an early x'er

Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I said the exact same thing the other day. Mom just turned 80... love her to pieces but man is she getting childish again....

I didn't quite mean it that way. My parents are more liberal than I, and think oppositely on many of todays issues.
Although Dad in the past 5 year does seem to think quite differently then he used to... that I'm sure is age related.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:42 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
While I think GenX very much is it's own distinct generation, I say we as a whole are more like Boomers.

GenX was the last generation to grow up without the internet, and cell phones, and that is the real divide, and makes us closer to the Boomers.
I'm a Gen X'er who grew up without ATMs - - had to go to the bank to get money out until college started. I think there is something about the lack of immediacy that connects me to boomers. I'm perfectly fine not having everything at my finger tips at every moment in my life. Not sure if that's the case with younger millennials.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:43 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:

GenX was the last generation to grow up without the internet, and cell phones, and that is the real divide, and makes us closer to the Boobers.
I think so. It is one thing to have been exposed to tech, another to be raised completely dependent on it. It is a massive shift in how we live, communicate and think. I can relate better to pre-WWII generations than one raised fully dependent on technology.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:44 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I didn't quite mean it that way. My parents are more liberal than I, and think oppositely on many of todays issues.
Although Dad in the past 5 year does seem to think quite differently then he used to... that I'm sure is age related.
I grew up with a conservative Texan father who was much closer to depression-era and a liberal Hawaiian mother born there just two months after Pearl Harbor was bombed. It made for a very broad spectrum of ideas and opinions in our household. I think I benefitted greatly from that experience.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:47 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
see that's the question

some people/sites say 1965.... Untitled Document .... Generational Names in the United States

others say 1961.... Who Is Generation X? Primer on a Lost Generation

the social security admin says 1964

so the real question is to the 'cuspers"... those born between 61 and 65....what are you a late boomer or an early x'er
Okay... so I guess I am a cusper.... (1962)... I'd say I'm right smack dab in the middle of both. I find myself with the work ethic and financial concerns of the Boomers. My grandmother taught me well about going through the Depression, so I'm a saver, a coupon-clipper, I garden and can. At the same time, I grew up in a group like Eric Foreman's basement from the 70's show... It was all about sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. It kinda blew the kids mind that mom listened to more head-banger music (and still does) than him. I wondered why people were looking at me so odd the other night...until I realized that grandma here was driving down the road with the windows down and moonroof open blasting AC/DC.... LOLOL

Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Maybe.

The irony is we have been using cell phones, computers, and the like longer than the Millennials as we were there at the very beginning.
Yes, most of us GenX'ers grew up with home video game consoles, and the early Apple computers that didn't do sh*t.

Still, even with that stuff, we tended to have lives outside of technology, and had a great deal of independence compared to the following generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Truth! I thought I was a hot sh1t with my boombox and then my amazing WALKMAN. lololol. We had an Atari and Space Invaders blew my kind.

Good times, good times. Except for the mohawk. WTF was I thinking?
Uh, the days of the boom box, walkmans, and Atari, I remember well. I skipped the mohawk, but have a picture of myself on my BMX bike with Vans shoes, and my Swatch watch. I did have a starter mullet going on. LoL

Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Maybe.

The irony is we have been using cell phones, computers, and the like longer than the Millennials as we were there at the very beginning.
The difference is, we can appreciate it, because we saw it 'born'.

We remember the old days of fingering the round dial (and God help you if you got the number wrong), no remotes, only having 4 channels, all black and white, etc.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:54 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I skipped the mohawk, but have a picture of myself on my BMX bike with Vans shoes, and my Swatch watch. I did have a starter mullet going on. LoL
Same here! Don't forget the parachute pants and the rat-tails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies