Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:48 PM

8,316 posts, read 3,942,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
I lived through the Watergate fiasco. This currently unravelling story of Flynn, pre-election Russian intelligence communications with the Trump campaign, hacking of emails, lying to the vice-president, etc. is taking on an eerie, uncomfortable familiarity and ugly taste. I think this is leading to a seriously terminal legal or political event for this administration. It's "deja vu all over again" as Yogi Berra would have put it.
Yeah I lived through those hellish years too. We got damned lucky to get through that without more damage than we did. Not sure we are going to be so lucky this time, because this could involve treasonous actions as another poster noted above.

Here's what Gerald Ford said during his swearing in:

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.

Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here the people rule. But there is a higher Power, by whatever name we honor Him, who ordains not only righteousness but love, not only justice but mercy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,405,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Wisely stated. Trump is a criminal, of that I am absolutely certain.
I wasn't sure before. But now I think Obstruction of justice would fit on his impeachment call. Fittingly that was the first one on Nixons impeachment process as well.

Know what else is kinda like the Nixon one? The deputy AG threatened to quit over the Trump admin saying he was a major reason for it. Apparently he was told to write it, he did not initiate it. Sounds a lot like the deputy ag Nixon fired, but with less guts.

'I will be fine': Comey bids farewell to FBI as investigations into Trump campaign's links with Russia gather pace

Quote:
After the dismissal, Mr Rosenstein threatened to resign after being portrayed by the White House as the prime mover in the decision to fire Mr Comey, the Post reported.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
I was a young teacher when Watergate went down--
IMO this debacle is worse than Watergate
Nixon was just a typical politician on a larger scale -- trying to get info on his opponents and be re-elected...
He was NOT in league with the Russians
He was not money laundering for the Russian mafia and dubious politicians
He was not violating to emoluments clause of the Constitution with every breath he takes
He did NOT have members of his family involved in serious government policy making

Nixon to give him his due was a politician who understood the balance of powers within government--he was an attorney who understood the laws he was breaking--
He was a prick but until the very end of his presidency he was not an insane clown--
Trump started out that way and has only gotten worse...

Trump will do something irrevocable when push comes to shove--
And I mean like go to war with North Korea --if he in his deranged mind--thinks that will "save his presidency"...
He is nuts...and the GOP is spineless...
So America is screwed until enough people in power--and I mean Congress--decide to grow some stones and act like patriots not politicians!

Old 05-11-2017, 06:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,515,323 times
This azzclown makes Nixon look like a choirboy by comparison.

People's unbridled support of this man borders upon the collective insanity described by Jung.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,386,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This azzclown makes Nixon look like a choirboy by comparison.

People's unbridled support of this man borders upon the collective insanity described by Jung.
Trump and followers remind me of Jim Jones and his followers. Of course, Jones' followers drank the poison Kool-aid...

Old 07-11-2017, 02:13 AM

684 posts, read 1,152,247 times
Drip, drip, drip...(7/10/17)

Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 AM

14,808 posts, read 8,137,037 times
This is nothing like the Watergate Scandal...This is way, way worse.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:58 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I was a young teacher when Watergate went down--
IMO this debacle is worse than Watergate
Nixon was just a typical politician on a larger scale -- trying to get info on his opponents and be re-elected...
He was NOT in league with the Russians
He was not money laundering for the Russian mafia and dubious politicians
He was not violating to emoluments clause of the Constitution with every breath he takes
He did NOT have members of his family involved in serious government policy making

Nixon to give him his due was a politician who understood the balance of powers within government--he was an attorney who understood the laws he was breaking--
He was a prick but until the very end of his presidency he was not an insane clown--
Trump started out that way and has only gotten worse...

Trump will do something irrevocable when push comes to shove--
And I mean like go to war with North Korea --if he in his deranged mind--thinks that will "save his presidency"...
He is nuts...and the GOP is spineless...
So America is screwed until enough people in power--and I mean Congress--decide to grow some stones and act like patriots not politicians!
Great post.

The level of criminal and unconstitutional activity is unprecedented, truly astounding.

Also, I don't recall Republicans involved in covering up and obstructing the investigations and hearings. Did that happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies