Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nothing illegal in monitoring calls to Russian embassy. If they catch a traitor in Trump campaign while doing their jobs, then it only proves they did their job well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, Trump was stupid enough to go to war against the intelligence community and he is paying the price for it. The the idiot just did it again by publicly accusing them of stuff.
first the leak was illegal, thus the person who leaked the information is guilty of a felony. second in 2012 you liberals were all up in rms when romney said the russians were our enemy, you said they were not. now suddenly the russians are our enemy again according to you liberals. please make up your minds and ditch the hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Do you remember when Obama got bossy with the Supreme Court Justices in his address? I think there has been a lot of spying going around in DC. That is what happens when you vote for a low class president with no integrity. Before Snowden revealed what was going on with the telephone spying, there were many things going on that were out of character with the people doing them, such as calling the Obamacare a tax instead of a fee which it certainly was and it should not have gotten through the Supreme Court.

Snowden did us all a favor. I am sorry what it cost him. I think Snowden's revelation was Obama's downfall. The truth sets us all free.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default All but the pickax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The KGB has nothing in common with today's Russian intel agencies.

The KGB worked for the Soviet communists.

Russia is no longer the Soviet Union.

It is no longer communist.

It is not considered an enemy of the United States.

And the KGB no longer exists, contrary to what the person I responded to said.
The FRS? They've kept the KGB files, they've taken over the Lubyanka Square, & I assume that their organization & senior personnel are either identical to or have a lot of overlap with the KGB. FRS & the GRU (under their new name), the border police (absorbed into the FRS) & all the old organs are still in place, constituted quite the same way they were under the bad ol' USSR. & certainly, CIS political opponents, journalists, intellectuals, dissenters are still routinely being assaulted, beaten, poisoned, committed to psychiatric hospitals, bundled off to internal exile (an old gulag, no doubt) or murdered outright - so the KGB playbook hasn't been updated either.

Did the KGB work for the Soviet communists? Everything I've read indicated they (& all the other organs, see above) worked first of all for their agency, then for their patrons & chain of command, then the nomenklatura, & then for the Great Rodina.

Yah, the USSR is safely dead. But CIS Pres. Putin openly longs for the good ol' days, when Soviet troops made the World tremble, & so on. & he's pushing quite hard to restore the fear & loathing that the USSR used to inspire - & the new wanna-be apparatchiks are not about to oppose him - if anything, they long for the dachas, lifetime supplies of beluga & vodka, the complaisant female (or male, I suppose, if they want - perks, da?) company, the whole nine yards.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Unwise to offend people you depend upon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Make up your mind.

I posted a quote and put it in quotation marks and and I responded that the intelligence community was under Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough
"No, Trump was stupid enough to go to war against the intelligence community"

The "intelligent community" being discussed WAS OBAMA'S.

And you reply "nope"

Then you admit that

"Trump's dirty work when Trump wasn't President yet???

If he wasn't president yet, that means that Obama was STILL the president and HIS people were in charge of the intelligence community as I stated.
The intelligence community in the US, especially since the creation of the National Intelligence Office under Pres. W, reports up the chain of command to the president. The military branches have their intel sections, NSA, CIA, State Dept., NRO & so on. The military intel sections are staffed by professional military, & active-duty or retired military often head up the civilian agencies too.

The president appoints an agency head, if it's in his purview. Otherwise, agency heads often appoint their next level of management, or work with management in place @ their respective agency. In any event, intel officers take their oath (to support & defend the Constitution - not personally to the president. & the president takes the same oath, TMK.) very seriously. Intel officers, & especially the field officers back in the bad old days when the Cold War threated to turn into an intel bloodbath, & nearly turned into a blood sport. Those officers risked their lives for the sake of the US - if they're moved now to oppose the Trump administration, or even just actions by individual members of that administration - if that's the case - then there are serious questions to be asked.

Presumably, Congress & the various agencies directly involved in the Flynn resignation, will investigate & clarify what happened to their satisfaction. We can hope that some of that information - or @ least the broad consensus - will also be released to the public.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:48 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Do you remember when Obama got bossy with the Supreme Court Justices in his address? I think there has been a lot of spying going around in DC. That is what happens when you vote for a low class president with no integrity. Before Snowden revealed what was going on with the telephone spying, there were many things going on that were out of character with the people doing them, such as calling the Obamacare a tax instead of a fee which it certainly was and it should not have gotten through the Supreme Court.

Snowden did us all a favor. I am sorry what it cost him. I think Snowden's revelation was Obama's downfall. The truth sets us all free.
Got bossy with the Supreme Court? All Obama did was disagree with the decision. He didn't question the Court's integrity or their right to rule based their understanding of the Constitution. Obama also made a prediction about the negative affects on our political system which turned out to be accurate.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:34 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
...you liberals were all up in rms when romney said the russians were our enemy, you said they were not. now suddenly the russians are our enemy again according to you liberals. please make up your minds and ditch the hypocrisy.
And when Romney spoke against Russia you neocons were cheering him on and in lockstep about the evil Russian menace. Now your Il Duce is kissing Putin's butt and the story is they are just nice guys we should court.

Please make up your minds and ditch the hypocrisy.

The fact is, most do not see "Russia" as an enemy. Rather, we know for a fact that Russian politicians interfered with our election and we have no idea of the extent to which the incoming trump administration colluded in this.

Putin, like trump, is a well-known and admitted fraud and liar. In Putin's case, a murderer or at least someone who has had murder committed for him.

These are not nice, good guys.

They are, instead, autocrats who seek to complete the work necessary to make both nations essentially oil companies with armies, forever profiting from wars.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The intelligence community in the US, especially since the creation of the National Intelligence Office under Pres. W, reports up the chain of command to the president. The military branches have their intel sections, NSA, CIA, State Dept., NRO & so on. The military intel sections are staffed by professional military, & active-duty or retired military often head up the civilian agencies too.

The president appoints an agency head, if it's in his purview. Otherwise, agency heads often appoint their next level of management, or work with management in place @ their respective agency. In any event, intel officers take their oath (to support & defend the Constitution - not personally to the president. & the president takes the same oath, TMK.) very seriously. Intel officers, & especially the field officers back in the bad old days when the Cold War threated to turn into an intel bloodbath, & nearly turned into a blood sport. Those officers risked their lives for the sake of the US - if they're moved now to oppose the Trump administration, or even just actions by individual members of that administration - if that's the case - then there are serious questions to be asked.

Presumably, Congress & the various agencies directly involved in the Flynn resignation, will investigate & clarify what happened to their satisfaction. We can hope that some of that information - or @ least the broad consensus - will also be released to the public.
"if they're moved now to oppose the Trump administration, or even just actions by individual members of that administration - if that's the case - then there are serious questions to be asked."

I agree.

P.S. I WORKED in the Intelligence community.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:08 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"if they're moved now to oppose the Trump administration, or even just actions by individual members of that administration - if that's the case - then there are serious questions to be asked."

I agree.

P.S. I WORKED in the Intelligence community.
I agree and so did I.

If they are moved to leak, it's not partisan, it's something serious that is scaring them about the security of the nation. With a Congress that's going to do nothing but roll over, they don't have many alternatives but to "take it to the people."

Old 02-19-2017, 05:15 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I agree and so did I.

If they are moved to leak, it's not partisan, it's something serious that is scaring them about the security of the nation. With a Congress that's going to do nothing but roll over, they don't have many alternatives but to "take it to the people."
"If they are moved to leak, it's not partisan"

If I read you incorrectly, I apologize up front if I am wrong.

IMO, it is ALL ABOUT PARTISANSHIP.

These are mostly Obama leftovers and wanted to continue his policies with Hillary and will do whatever they can , and get awat with, to help destroy Trump's presidency.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Anti-Trump fantasies notwithstanding, we're not at war with Russia, so I don't know how anyone could commit treason -- siding with the enemy -- in their dealings with Russia.

Of course, giving away intel to another country would violate the espionage act, but Gen. Flynn hasn't been accused of doing that.

The NSA is supposed to be monitoring calls between the U.S. and other countries in which one or both of the parties is believed to be an Islamic terrorist.

Neither Gen. Flynn nor the Russian ambassador is believed to be an Islamic terrorist.

To spy on any calls involving a private U.S. citizen (which Flynn was at the time of the calls), the NSA would have to go to the FISA court to get a warrant.

The FISA court would not grant a warrant for a call that didn't involve Islamic terrorism.

So it would seem that the NSA violated the law by not getting the required warrant.

Intel officials also violated the law by leaking to the press.

It might be time for Trump to declare martial law.

Why would Hillary not be arrested when she defied agency orders to nit use her unsecured devices when travelling to russia and chine etc?

Why no consequence for hillary using a private server or allowing lawyers and maids to see top secret communications??

So why all the hubub about trump?

Investigated what obama meant when he said to tell putin he;d have more flexibility after the election??????

Investigate why Russia was sold 25% of our uranium supply.

Trump should claim executive privelege like obama did for F&F.

Double standard doesn't even come close to the extreme prejudice the dems employ when it comes to Trump. Obama had a closer relationship with Putin than Trump ever could even in a dem wet dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies