Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:21 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,226,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I had a NYT subscription for decades, but I gave it up about 6 or 7 years ago. The reports used to be much less biased and much more factual. At one time, the journalists had integrity. The editorials always leaned left, but the journalism (the actual news) was informative. Now they are just trying to compete with internet "journalists" to keep from going bankrupt, so integrity takes a back seat.
The discription of print news could very well cover TV Network news at this point. No more just reporting the news without THEIR viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:25 AM

33,576 posts, read 37,205,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What are you babbling about? Do you too believe Trump that has called the entire mainstream media "fake news"? Because the man is a thin skinned, whiny ***** who cannot take any criticism and says his train wreck of an administration is a "fine tuned machine" and you believe him, and everything else he says, don't you?

That's the real problem. It is not Trump's lies, it is the lack of critical thinking skills of his followers.
This brings to mind another quote...

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer to don't think..... Adolf Hitler

Last edited by sanspeur; 02-18-2017 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-18-2017, 11:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,402,779 times
I pay for an electronic subscription to the NY Times both for current stories and archival materials. The value of a newspaper goes beyond whether or not you think the political coverage is entirely accurate. I also have a subscription to my home town newspaper for personal reasons.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:27 AM

19,873 posts, read 22,777,197 times
Facts are like good food- keep your diet 90% in this category to stay fit.

Opinion based media heads are junk food- if your diet is even 25% of this class you risk becoming unhealthy, unbalanced and generally ill.

A very well respected and wise person told me that, well over 25 years ago.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:01 PM

18,491 posts, read 15,300,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
But it is not practical or even possible to report all the facts. Each newspaper would be as thick as a telephone book. All media does editorializing to reduce in order to fit the news into one reasonable sized news paper (or web page). So if all media is editing, by your logic, they are all guilty of giving us a biased view. It is impossible to escape this situation. It happens at Fox, it happens at CNN, all of them.

And this problem is not just restricted to newspapers and other media - they get their information from other sources, like police departments for crimes, for instance. You are relying on the integrity of the police to be telling you all the facts. Are they editing some of the facts out? Probably. It is no different than a news room editor who edits his articles.

At some point you have to trust our basic institutions. I tend to trust the NYT. I trust to some extent Fox. But I stay from editorials and opinion pieces and talk shows on CNN, Fox, all of them. That is pure opinion and not fact.
Nobody is saying that a journalist needs to write a book for every piece they put in their paper. But if there is evidence that contradicts the evidence in the story, it is the job of a true journalist to include that evidence as well. Newspapers used to do a much better job of that than they are doing today. A true journalist only cares about the truth, regardless of whether or not it fits their own personal political leanings.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:04 PM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Then Trump should stop acting like a dictator and while I thank you for your concern you might want to worry about the quality of you own posting.Thanks.
Lmao...you just keep repeating it even though it isn't true. Weren't you just complaining about that a few posts back?

Old 02-18-2017, 12:07 PM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Trump reminds me of someone in regards to lies....

The victor will never be asked if he told the truth..... Adolf Hitler

Great liars are also great magicians....... Adolf Hitler

It is not truth that matters, but victory..... Adolf Hitler

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.....Adolf Hitler

Again, another poster carrying water for trump by making his detractors look like unhinged birther-types.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:09 PM

1,548 posts, read 915,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And 100,000 troops are being mobilized to round up illegals
Great news.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:13 PM

18,491 posts, read 15,300,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Again, another poster carrying water for trump by making his detractors look like unhinged birther-types.
People are free to say whatever they want, but the way they throw the "Hitler" references around about anyone they don't like, they are doing a huge disservice to all the people who suffered and died under the REAL Hitler's rule. None of these people, including Trump, even come close.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:23 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,082,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What a waste for anyone to pay for a newspaper and then having to try to fact check what is true and what isn't.
How do you know it is mainly false if you don't read it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies