Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:55 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

well, I must be the minority here; I don't mind generalization. (well, to a certain degree.)

I think generalization allows people to make shortcuts in conversations. We have to accept that not every individual in a cohort of people behaves in the same way, but there tend to be multiple commonalities in groups that share other characteristics.

This said, I think Globalization creates winner-takes-all scenarios which contributes to greater income inequality. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is up to you to decide, but it's important to realize this effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 01:19 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Right.

I imagine you're using some technology developed by that "useless" generation.

Your analysis is intellectually weak.
As someone who was born on the millennial/gen x'r boundary I wouldn't say millennials deserve credit for the technology. As a whole I don't have a problem with millennials. I do think you should stop voting when you are 70.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:05 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
As someone who was born on the millennial/gen x'r boundary I wouldn't say millennials deserve credit for the technology. As a whole I don't have a problem with millennials. I do think you should stop voting when you are 70.
Millennials don't deserve sole credit - and I never said that.

But they are a pretty integral part to many technologies we're using today. If you don't think so, I encourage you to take a walk through any Silicon Valley tech company.'

The point is that millennials are no more/no less "useless" than any past generation. The post I was responding to was making a ridiculous claim.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I can't say I disagree with that.

The only part that bothers me is the WAY some of the protests have been happening, like physically attacking people.
I abhor physical violence.

There is no need for that unless one is defending one's self from a direct, physical assault.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Do people who make sweeping generalizations about large disparate groups of individuals have any intellect?

No.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In other news, old people complaining about younger people. WoW!!! Unbelievable!
Exactly what it sounds like. And now Trump supporters hate optimism? And computers? How dare Millennials go to school, use a computer, get an education and be optimistic! So much of Trump support screams older generation anger and bitterness to me.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:16 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Exactly what it sounds like. And now Trump supporters hate optimism? And computers? How dare Millennials go to school, use a computer, get an education and be optimistic! So much of Trump support screams older generation anger and bitterness to me.
Speaking for my own generation, I understand what the OP is talking about sadly.

Just go to NYC, San Francisco, or DC.

I grew up in DC and I know a lot of people who got a free ride through life and when they got a real job, they didn't know what real work meant, or didn't know what it was like to have a boss yell at them before, so they got fired and didn't know what to do with their life.

Idk why I'm using this example, but I feel like if you look at the authors/writers of Buzzfeed, this is the perfect example of those type of millennials that most people can't stand.

It's not all millennials, but it is a good amount of them.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Speaking for my own generation, I understand what the OP is talking about sadly.

Just go to NYC, San Francisco, or DC.

I grew up in DC and I know a lot of people who got a free ride through life and when they got a real job, they didn't know what real work meant, or didn't know what it was like to have a boss yell at them before, so they got fired and didn't know what to do with their life.

Idk why I'm using this example, but I feel like if you look at the authors/writers of Buzzfeed, this is the perfect example of those type of millennials that most people can't stand.

It's not all millennials, but it is a good amount of them.
Again, Trump supporters seem to hate a younger more educated generation. The Bay Area is packed full of millennials that went to the best schools, earn a fortune and need to because an apartment costs $4000 a month. Seattle is not much different and the same with many other cities. Those examples are just as valid as some person a resentful Trump supporter knows. These millennials will not get a pension like their parents may have received, they will pay MUCH MORE for health care costs and they will pay a $100K for their education if they went to a top school.

For angry Trump supporters to hate this generation is fine, they have a lot of hate to spare, but millennials will just grow more and more unsympathetic to those older Trump supporters and when Paul Ryan voucherizes Medicare, they will shrug their shoulders and say "good, they deserve it." These millennials are paying two-thirds of the cost of senior Medicare.

- Few seniors have actually paid for their Medicare benefits. According to an Urban Institute estimate, the typical retired couple paid $122,000 in lifetime Medicare taxes but can expect to receive benefits worth $387,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7070221fa061

Seniors today seem to be the real selfish and entitled ones. Cannot wait to see what Paul Ryan does to them with entitlement reform.

Last edited by Seacove; 02-21-2017 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 06:11 PM

61 posts, read 41,289 times
Excuse me...?

I am a millennial under the age 30. I have graduated with a Bachelors with good grades. Now working on a Masters degree and got promoted to Bank Manager and manage the branch without an assistant manager. I also live by myself and support myself and bought myself a brand new car a couple months ago.

Yes, I have a sense of reality. Probably more than you.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
Excuse me...?

I am a millennial under the age 30. I have graduated with a Bachelors with good grades. Now working on a Masters degree and got promoted to Bank Manager and manage the branch without an assistant manager. I also live by myself and support myself and bought myself a brand new car a couple months ago.

Yes, I have a sense of reality. Probably more than you.
One can only imagine they are jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies