Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah sure...they're fake. Because you say so.
"Fake" is their new buzzword for anything that doesn't praise Dear Leader and the Republican mafia. I would suggest putting him on ignore. His posts are pure nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The problem is that these are fake protests. They are organized by Obama's "Organizing for Action" organization, and they do not represent the majority of constituents in a Representatives districts. Many, if not all, of these 'protesters' are paid. This has been covered in a number of stories published in various media.
Come on... you are making yourself look silly spouting this kind of nonsense.

Last edited by jeffrow1; 02-22-2017 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
From a strategic standpoint, it would make sense to hold off on these town hall meetings for a while until the dust settles from the election.

I see all this agitation on the left as having two possible outcomes. On the one hand, it may motivate democratic voters to get off their a$$es and vote in 2018. On the other hand, it may push democratic politicians so far left that they are unpalatable to the moderates and independents that are needed to win elections.
I had the same thoughts regarding it being too early to crank up the heat and whether it can be maintained. Two years is a long time.

Not sure that it is going to push dems further left though. Most of the protests and town halls are seemingly focused on harder issues than simple social engineering stuff. Healthcare and immigration are current issues and seem to be front and center.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I don't think I can blame Tom Price. If there was some insane law that exempted me from insider trading, I don't think I could resist either. Why would I?

I'm 100% for making it illegal for congressmen to do this, just like it is illegal for you or I. I don't see how this exemption is helpful for anyone except the people involved. That is something we should demand of our representatives.

friends and family stock deals are fairly common and legal for non-public startups. What he did was probably legal and proper even in a traded company. Having been involved in several I can tell you most never hit. My problem is with a politician furthering legislation to benefit his investment. They should be held to a higher standard than a private investor and prohibited from situations like this.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
I said that? Where?

I posted a thread about Republicans and town halls. Why would that upset you so much since you're supposedly not a Republican or a Trump supporter?
It's called defending the truth

Quote:
Of course, it's because you are both. But that's cool....it'll be our little secret.
hahaha Nice try. Didn't support Trump but he is by far the lessor of 2 evils.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Come on... you are making yourself look silly spouting this kind of nonsense.
That people actually believe such ridiculous drivel is astounding.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The dust isn't going to settle. And it has nothing to do with the election, it has to do with a Russian puppet and Fascist destroying this country from the White House, while corrupt, immoral Republicans in Congress sit around and laugh.

We thought the right wing going so far right would have the same effect. Clearly it didn't. Seeing as a majority voted for Clinton and Bernie has a huge following, maybe pushing more left is what is needed to stop the right wing fascists.
You seem like you are toward the angry and/or radical fringe, so you'll forgive me if I take this response with a grain of salt. Your judgement may be clouded on this.

That said, most independent voters are center right, so too left is going to be more harmful to the democrats than too right is to the republicans.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

hahaha Nice try. Didn't support Trump but he is by far the lessor of 2 evils.
Not even close, and no logical or rational human being would come to that conclusion.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
You seem like you are toward the angry and/or radical fringe, so you'll forgive me if I take this response with a grain of salt.

That said, most independent voters are center right, so too left is going to be more harmful to the democrats than too right is to the republicans.
I've generally considered myself center-left until this election and seeing what corrupt pieces of trash most Republicans are is pushing me farther left. I didn't agree with Republicans in the past, but I never viewed them as downright evil until now.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
friends and family stock deals are fairly common and legal for non-public startups. What he did was probably legal and proper even in a traded company. Having been involved in several I can tell you most never hit. My problem is with a politician furthering legislation to benefit his investment. They should be held to a higher standard than a private investor and prohibited from situations like this.
I don't claim to know the details of his trades. Maybe they were friends and family deals, maybe not, but that does not change the fact that congressmen are shielded from insider trading laws to which the rest of us are subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies