Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 11:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,862,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't see a problem expecting a little work from these people, unless they are disabled.

Maine Drops 9000 From Food Stamps After They Refuse To Comply With Work Requirement - Patriot Chronicle
LePaige continues to milk this for all the publicity it's worth.

The work requirement is a Federal Law. That law gave states the ability to qualify for exception from the Federal Law based on economic conditions within the state. Maine has long been one of those states that qualified for exemption that existed before the Great Recession.

Obviously economic conditions have been steadily improving in Maine as the state no longer qualifies for the all the exemptions it once did, thus the Governor's ongoing intention to reduce SNAP enrollment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 11:48 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,030,424 times
[quote=2mares;47297544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Me, no. The closest is 14.7 miles, but I could not walk 14.7 miles to go to mcdonalds.

So again the original argument was many of these people in Main are rural and thus needing a car in order to find a job. They cant get a job because they cant afford a car. They cant afford a car because they cant get a job.

My argument is yet, they can get to a walmart to buy a phone and data and the library or mcdonalds to get wifi to get on line to fill out an application for food stamps. They can get to the doctor, grocery and every place else they need to go. Makes no sense to me and you still have not explained how they can get all these places yet cant get to a job.
Work is 5 days a week. Grocery shopping, to a McDonalds or anything else you think up is not 5 days a week. Most people can mooch a ride when someone is on their way into town but they are at that person's mercy.

We own property in a rural town where there are mainly, rich people w/vacation homes and very poor people who do not work. We see how they live.They go into town once a week, either with the Restaurant Bar P.O owner (all one building aka business) or with the mailman who delivers mail 3 days per week. They have about 30 min to grocery shop while the mailman picks up the mail at the P.O adjacent the grocery store. Sometimes they have 10 minutes to quickly pick out a few videos from the library directly across the street or run to McDonalds which is also across the street adjacent Taco Bell. There is one Doctor in the adjacent town so the person is dropped off, sometimes they need to save up their money to pay for a ride so save up. But often, they do not get the medical care they need.

Beggers cannot be choosers, they are at the mercy of others for transportation, food, etc.. And that applies to everything, even getting a job.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,862,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. I am black and am very well aware of the Great Migration and had family members participate who gave up everything to move to areas where better opportunities existed.

My point though was that there is a small minority of people in this country who would not do something like that. They cannot help themselves. I've seen it first hand. Most people can IMO but that minority, they cannot. I mostly worry about their children, like my friend mentioned earlier who was camping out in the woods in ME with their kid because they were poor and feared CPS taking their child. FWIW, they have an older child as well who got sick of them and left the parent. That child ended up having a child of their own when they were 13 years old so the cycle continues.
Parts of Appelachia comes to mind. Employment in the mines peaks in the 1920's.

While the standard of living has substantially improved over the last 50 years, due in large part to housing grants, it seems to have reenforced a mindset to stay put rather than migrate for economic reasons as did prior generations.

The economies of multiple counties in these areas are dependent on a variety of forms of welfare. It is a regional ground zero for opiate/ opioid addiction.

It was fascinating to learn the county clerk who refused to sign SSM certs was being paid 80k a year in a county where most household incomes were in the $25k range. Her stance on SSM brought her income and how familial nepotism enabled it. As I understand it, public pressure within the county compelled the county to reduce her compensation.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM

19,760 posts, read 12,323,473 times
They are only doing this to single people without dependents, those who qualify for negligible benefit anyway. They also discriminate by applying an asset test only on those without dependents. Just apply the rules fairly across the board. If anything, they should be rewarded for NOT having kids. Many of these people live in really rural areas and no way to get to this volunteer work, no reliable car, other problems no one asks or cares about. Its just to kick them off and punish people being responsible enough not to breed when they are so poor.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:45 PM

36,794 posts, read 31,037,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They are only doing this to single people without dependents, those who qualify for negligible benefit anyway. They also discriminate by applying an asset test only on those without dependents. Just apply the rules fairly across the board. If anything, they should be rewarded for NOT having kids. Many of these people live in really rural areas and no way to get to this volunteer work, no reliable car, other problems no one asks or cares about. Its just to kick them off and punish people being responsible enough not to breed when they are so poor.

Thats the way all the government programs are. You get preference for assistance because of the kids.

Why cant an able bodied person with no dependents get a job or attending training or volunteer a few hours a month. They can get other places without a car.

I live in a rural area and know homeless people who manage to work, inconsistently, but they find ways to make money, usually under the table.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But they cant figure out how to get rides to work, carpool, or stay closer to a job, or ride a bicycle?
Again, read my post. They get rides at the mercy of whoever they can. Not exactly a reliable employee who can be to work at a certain time

Quote:
How does a person get stuck in a house?
Are you really that dense?
You need resources to get about. Whether donated, earned or whatever. When you are dirt poor, you are stuck at home more than most people
Quote:
I dont have a car so chit I guess I'll just sit here in this house forever and depend on a monthly check and bum a ride to where ever I need to go if someone drives down this far away rural road.
If you have no money nor transportation, what else can you do?

Think. Just think.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:13 PM

37,544 posts, read 61,590,960 times
If you live rural it can be hard. I know people here who live in town, they can walk to work or else use the bus.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If you live rural it can be hard. I know people here who live in town, they can walk to work or else use the bus.
do they give free buss passes to poor people?

In our area, it's $1.50 each way. Unless you have children and are on some kind of program. No free rides here.
It can be very cold here, and very very hot. Walking is fine if you are fortunate to live pretty close to town. But it's a bit
difficult to find affordable housing anywhere around here, especially in town. And the waiting list for subsidized housing is years

Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 PM

37,544 posts, read 61,590,960 times
Paying for the bus is a lot less expensive than maintaining a car.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:51 PM

8,083 posts, read 10,680,260 times
I worked at a retail store for quite a few years, and was in management, so I did hire employees. Often, they were "welfare to work" applicants needing to meet their work requirement in order to continue to receive food stamps, etc. I learned after a while to avoid those applicants. Once hired, they rarely showed up for work. The reason? The Department of Social Serviced never checked to see if they were actually working the job, the workers only had to show that they were on the "payroll". If the case workers had called, I would have told them they were not showing up for work, and were calling out "sick" and doing very little in the way of work when they did bother to show up. But they never bother to check.

I had one girl who did show up for work and did assigned duties, that is until she was approved for a subsidized apartment. Once approved, all work ethic stopped, and she called out sick repeatedly until we let her go, and then applied for unemployment benefits (which I'm sure she received.)

These people are scam artists and know how to work the system. It's disgraceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies